Expressionist
  • imageExpressionist

Expressionist improves the expression workflow by giving you basic IDE features such as syntax highlighting, line numbers and multiple cursors. It allows you to quickly add an expression to multiple properties and gives you inline error handling.

https://aescripts.com/expressionist/

• Nice Extension !
  • Only compatible with AE CC 2015, not with previous versions ???
  • what about CS6? CC sucks
  • Only compatible with AE CC 2015, not with previous versions ???
    The technology that Expressionist uses has been available since CC2014, but only in CC2015.1 (AE 13.6) some bugs regarding shortcuts have been addressed.
    what about CS6? CC sucks
    CC is the very reason this is possible in the first place. I understand if you don't like the subscription model, but it's not very likely that Adobe is going to change that. They also won't make the new technology available to older versions.
  • I am having difficulty getting past the first page of the introduction. I created a solid, selected the 'Position' property, and when I click back in the Expressionist panel I get the error "Unable to execute script at line 1. Function selection is undefined."
  • Sorry for all the comments. I am editing this comment so as to not clutter up the comments with my specific problem. I solved the issue, which had to do with a specific way I set up After Effects on my system, which had been undone when AE updated to 13.7.1.6 after I had installed Expressionist. When I fixed the other issue, Expressionist began working properly. I doubt it's something most people would come across, so PM me if you would like the full explanation. 
  • Sorry for all (…) the full explanation. 
    Thanks for the follow up Michael. Happy to hear you solved the problem and that it wasn't due to Expressionist :)
  • Hi,
    Very nice extension, long awaited!

But I just tried it, and found a bug:
    Inline errors don't work, when there are errors in the expressions, AE says:
    "Unable to execute script at line 80: null is not an object"

Using AE CC2015 13.7.0 on Win 10, both in French.
  • AE CC2015 can't see extension in Window menu
  • AE CC2015 can't see extension in Window menu
    Please make sure you have CC 2015.1 (13.6) or later.
  • Hi, Very nice (…) both in French.
    Can you open up a ticket through the fly-out menu > support > report bug? Then we can talk further in there.
  • Just tried out the demo.  Am I doing something wrong here?  I can't hit return to go down a line.

Running AE 13.7.1.6 / Mac

EDIT:
    Never mind, just read the help section and saw the restriction for the demo.
  • This is so awesome!!

I just purchased it and looking at the shortcut list I see increasing the font size doesn´t have a shurcut on windows.
    Please tell me I can still do it without a shortcut, is it a way to do it manually?

thanks!
  • Please tell me I can still do it without a shortcut, is it a way to do it manually?
    You can right click on the panel name (or tab) to access the fly-out menu. From there you go to options > increase font size.
  • I installed this extension and tried it in trail mode.
    I found there is no dropdown menu under the Expression Language Menu.
    So is this a trial restriction, or a bug?

Running AE 13.7.1.6 on Windows 7
  • I installed … or a bug?
    This is a known bug on Windows and should be solved by reopening the panel. It sometimes happens when you open the panel after you just opened AE.
  • REVIEW: I've gotta say, this is by far the most useful script on this whole site if you're into development. Combined with the image-to-binary provided by P9 ScriptUI Builder, you can create an entire script from start to finish. In addition, Remco is great at responding to emails. I'm looking forward to future updates.
  • First I just want to say that I love this extension! It's totally changed the way I write expressions.

But I've run into an issue when trying to use the pickwhip on a shape layer path. Expressionist gives me this error: image
    "Unable to execute script at line 266. undefined is not an object." If I use After Effects' Expression Pickwhip instead, I get the code I expect: "content("Shape 1").content("Path 1").path". I'm also unable to load that expression into Expressionist after generating it with After Effects. Is this just a limitation of the Extension?
  • First I … the Extension?
    Thanks for taking the time to report Jake! This is an bug and will be addressed in the next update. My apologies for the inconvenience.
  • Looking forward into purchasing this during this cyber-monday sale, but I'm a little worried: is this extension still being supported and developed by its author (R J)? Is there a way to install it both in CC 2015 and CC 2017 (I tried the demo and I only managed to see it in CC2017, but not in CC2015). Will the bug mentioned by Jake Bartlett be addressed and is there an ETA on the "next version"?

Thanks. 
  • Looking forward … "next version"?

Thanks. 
    Hi Alexandru, I understand your worry since I haven't updated since the release. I'm working on a new version to be released in 2017, but I can't give you an official ETA yet. The bug mentioned by Jake Bartlett will indeed be addressed. Regarding the installation: Expressionist is compatible with CC2015.1 and up, so make sure you have the latest version of CC2015. If this doesn't work, please open up a support ticket so I can look into it.
  • R J said:
    Looking forward … "next version"?

Thanks. 
    Hi Alexandru, I understand your worry since I haven't updated since the release. I'm working on a new version to be released in 2017, but I can't give you an official ETA yet. The bug mentioned by Jake Bartlett will indeed be addressed. Regarding the installation: Expressionist is compatible with CC2015.1 and up, so make sure you have the latest version of CC2015. If this doesn't work, please open up a support ticket so I can look into it.
    Hi,

Thanks for replying. It's only natural to make sure you will actually get to use a product you are going to pay money on. I just bought it, seems to work fine in CC2017. As for CC2015, yes, I don't have 2015.1 or later, but 2015.0 (my mistake for not checking) this first.
  • Hi,

I'm having some trouble getting this installed. I don't have admin control on my computer, so I have chosen to install "Only for Me" in the installer.

It says that is has installed correctly, but I can't find it in After Effects. I have a few versions of After Effects installed and the latest I have is 2015.2

If it helps, the installer says that it is install in a Custom Installation, not specifically After Effects.

What folder on the hard drive is it supposed to install to?
  • Adam Katz said:
    I'm having … install to?
    You should be able to find Expressionist in After Effects under Window > Extensions > Expressionist. If this is not the case you can open this support ticket. Please make sure you note your OS and AE version.
  • Hello,

The "Load Expression" feature is not working in ae cc2017 version 14.0.1.5, is this a limitation of the demo?

• The "Load Expression" … the demo?
    It seems to work fine for me in 14.0.1. But the demo is restricted to loading expressions of 1 line. When they're longer, they won't load.

• An amazing tool. Thank you for your contribution.
    Feature request:
    Can you please add a feature that shows the result in the bottom of the GUI window before you add it to a layer property. It would also be nice to show the results of variables or lines of code in a right side column or something. Would make a huge difference when doing complex setups, and prevent a lot of issue before applying to properties.

Thanks again! Keep up the great work!
  • An amazing… great work!
    Thanks for the kind words Lester! The features you mention are definitely on the roadmap, but due to how AE works they are tricky to implement and might actually break the user experience. I will research the possibilities.
  • My favorite script thus far. Bravo sir. 

I do have just one nitpick that I would love to get a fix for, if possible. When working with long expressions, I find that scrolling up and down with the mouse wheel is a little disorienting. Instead of having a smooth scroll similar to the way a web browser would scroll, Expressionist has a very jumpy one. It makes it difficult to keep your eye planted on the line you were working on. Is there anyway to fix this? 

Note: I have been getting used to clicking and dragging the slider on the right, which does give a smooth scroll, but I would love to go back to my precious mouse wheel. ;) Thanks!
  • My favorite … Thanks!
    Thanks for the kind words! Can you open a support ticket from the Expressionist fly-out menu (Support > Provide Feedback…)? This way we can discuss further from there.
  • Hi Remco--thanks an amazing tool!
    How do I get this not to happen:

In the Expressionist editor, I enter a new line character:

<"hello" + "\n" + "world" > (no carrots)

Then I load the expression into a source text property, and the new line is created in the Ae expression editor instead of in the text layer. So I can't use Expressionist when I'm editing any text with the new line character. Is this a bug or is there a work around?

Thanks again for a great script/plugin. It's awesome. I did submit a support ticket / bug report in case it is a bug.

Tom

• Hi Remco… a bug.
    This is a known bug. For now you can make it work by escaping the backslash using another backslash. Like so: \\n.
  • Great extension!

Was wondering if there is an ETA for the windows shortcuts update?

Thanks!
  • Was wondering … shortcuts update?
    Thanks :) The development of the next release is scheduled for July, but as development time is dependent on my spare time I can't give an ETA yet.
  • Is this AE 2018 ready?
  • Is this AE 2018 ready?
    Not yet, an update will follow soon.
  • Any news on AE2018 release? It has been a while. :) Pls pls pls.
  • Any news on AE2018 release? It has been a while. :) Pls pls pls.
    Certainly this year, but unfortunately not for Cyber Monday.
  • I'm looking forward for the AE2018 edition... can't live without it ! :-)
  • When is the new version going to be released? I would like to purchase it but I'm using AE2018.
  • when do you update for ae2018? i can´t work without it
  • when do you update for ae2018?
    When is the new version going to be released?
    Soon is all I can say, so please be patient. It's currently being beta tested. For updates, please follow me on Twitter.
  • when do you update for ae2018?
    When is the new version going to be released?
    Soon is all I can say, so please be patient. It's currently being beta tested. For updates, please follow me on Twitter.

Its now Feb, hasn't been any update since December. You posted "Certainly this year, but unfortunately not for Cyber Monday."  that was last year.
  • Its now Feb, hasn't been any update since December. You posted "Certainly this year, but unfortunately not for Cyber Monday."  that was last year.
    Sorry, it was a mistake to hint at a release date. The process comes with unforeseeable problems and I'm not doing this full-time. Right now there is a fundamental bug that only occurs on OSX AE CC18, which I have to fix before I can release.
  • I installed the trial and not only did this not work (the panel was a blank white text field which let you enter text but didn't do anything else, and a few icons down the bottom left which did nothing) it also stopped my expressions from evaluating.
  • I installed … from evaluating.
    Version CC2018 isn't supported yet, which is the reason for the blank window. It's very unlikely that it stopped expressions from evaluating. But if it's a reproducible issue, please open a support ticket explaining the steps and I'll have a look at it.
  • Just putting my voice in for a working version. Really missing this tool since updating my AE =[ Awaiting the update with bated breath!
  • Remco any chance you could hire another developer to fix the bugs? We will chip in to get this plugin in working ASAP. Pretty pls ... :( 
  • Hi
    When do you update for ae 2018?