AE Global Renamer
  • Brilliant! Thanks Lloyd. Believe it or not I'm still using this and this instead of ft-toolbar.  Old-timer in the house.

What's cool about ft-Toolbar is you can make a JavaScript button directly. I'm sure I don't need to tell you this but it's all about the workflow!! It's our entire mission here at aescripts! :)
  • Yeah, I should probably get with the times! ft-Toolbar is the go-to solution with good reason, I know.
  • Hi Lloyd,
    How can I select all characters in search?
    Also I tried like this "[*]" but it does not work.
    Thanks
  • Hi Lloyd,
    How can I select all characters in search?
    Also I tried like this "[*]" but it does not work.
    Thanks
    Sorry i don't understand your question.  What do you mean by "select all characters in search"?

Sorry my English.
  • What are you trying to search for?  That will search for [*] in the item name
  • Sorry missed that you had the Use Regex checkbox on. You must write valid Regex in order to use that feature. If you explain what you are trying to search for I can help you with the Regex expression

Example: I have 2 Compositions and 1 Folder. How can I write "Main Composition - 005" (without 1- Search: MyComp-001)?
    What I write in the "1- Search" for selecting everything?
  • Example: I have 2 Compositions and 1 Folder. How can I write "Main Composition - 005" (without 1- Search: MyComp-001)?
    What I write in the "1- Search" for selecting everything?
    This will search for any string: .+

Screen Shot 2014-12-08 at 2.26.39 PM.png
    410 x 295 - 44K
  • Dear Lloyd,
    You are as always genius.
    Thanks for everything.
    This plugins very useful.
    Best regards.

(Excuse me, I was find how to change After Effects border line color orange to blue. But I can't find. Also if you help for it I will very happy. I absolutely understand your time is gold. God Bless You!)
  • (Excuse me, I was find how to change After Effects border line color orange to blue. But I can't find. 
    It's the new CC2014.1 version, so just upgrade and you will get the blue line :)
  • Thanks again. :)
  • How do I keep my last used tips in the Search and Replace field (keeping until next my new tips)?
    Thanks
  • How do I keep my last used tips in the Search and Replace field (keeping until next my new tips)?
    Thanks
    The search and replace fields are not saved between sessions as that is not a common workflow
  • hi, is it possible to change the names of the layers in the project panel based on the sequence of layers in a comp?  

thank you!!
  • hi, is it possible to change the names of the layers in the project panel based on the sequence of layers in a comp?  

thank you!!
    Sorry don't understand what you mean. There are no layers in the project panel. Can you please be more specific? Perhaps show us a screenshot of what you mean? Did you try it already?
  • I should have been more clear sorry

Is it possible to rename the layers in the comp and have it also effect the filenames in the project panel?  
  • Just wanted to start off by saying thanks for the great script.  I have been using it more and I love the power of the regular expressions.  I find myself typing the same expressions in frequently to rename portions of text that regularly come up.  I was wondering if it would be possible to turn the boxes (search, replace, prefix, and suffix) into drop downs so that you could access a list of commonly used expressions? It would be great to be able to type in the box by default, but the user could also use the drop down list to access commonly used text.  Thanks again.

Kevin
  • I should have been more clear sorry

Is it possible to rename the layers in the comp and have it also effect the filenames in the project panel?  
    Yes, if you rename the item in the project panel it should also rename it in the comp unless you have given it a custom name in the comp. If that's the case then run the renamer twice, once in the project panel and once in the comp.
  • Just wanted to start off by saying thanks for the great script.  I have been using it more and I love the power of the regular expressions.  I find myself typing the same expressions in frequently to rename portions of text that regularly come up.  I was wondering if it would be possible to turn the boxes (search, replace, prefix, and suffix) into drop downs so that you could access a list of commonly used expressions? It would be great to be able to type in the box by default, but the user could also use the drop down list to access commonly used text.  Thanks again. 
    That's a great request, noted for the next version.
  • Lloyd, thank you for your continuing effort and help with all that you've got going on. Just so you know.

Now, I have a question:
    I have a character rigged (puppet-tool with IK and expressions) and would like to use that as a template for different characters by swapping out the used illustrator layers (rasterized).
    Now when I want to use more than 1 character in a comp all the layer names and layers referenced in the expressions are duplicates (because they all came from that same template comp).

I can rename the layers but is there a way to rename the referenced layers used in all those expressions?

Thank you for your time,
    Cheerio!

- j
  • Hi Lloyd,

Is there a way to rename referenced layers in all the expressions used in 1 comp?

thank you for your effort,
    cheerio!

- j
  • Hi Lloyd,

Is there a way to rename referenced layers in all the expressions used in 1 comp?

thank you for your effort,
    cheerio!

- j
    Use pt_ExpressEdit to batch edit expressions https://aescripts.com/pt_expressedit
    Lloyd, thank you for your continuing effort and help with all that you've got going on. Just so you know.

Now, I have a question:
    I have a character rigged (puppet-tool with IK and expressions) and would like to use that as a template for different characters by swapping out the used illustrator layers (rasterized).
    Now when I want to use more than 1 character in a comp all the layer names and layers referenced in the expressions are duplicates (because they all came from that same template comp).

I can rename the layers but is there a way to rename the referenced layers used in all those expressions?

Thank you for your time,
    Cheerio!

- j
    Sounds like this is a job for True Comp Duplicator https://aescripts.com/true-comp-duplicator
  • Hi,

Is there a way to save a preset of Global Renamer settings/setup? I've set it up to rename my Vray C4D passes from "post_1", "post_2", "post_3" to "specular", "reflection", "refraction", etc. and it would be great if I could save this setup to load again later.

Is there any way to do this?

Thanks!

-Mike
  • Hi,

Is there a way to save a preset of Global Renamer settings/setup? I've set it up to rename my Vray C4D passes from "post_1", "post_2", "post_3" to "specular", "reflection", "refraction", etc. and it would be great if I could save this setup to load again later.

Is there any way to do this?

Thanks!

-Mike
    not at the moment but we will file it as a feature request for a future version
  • I have got 150 layers in a comp... Is there any way to replace layer name by source name in that comp?

Thanks.
  • Would be great if I could copy and paste the Special Replace Keywords from the "About" pop-up. Those extra features are not readily apparent. Or maybe add those to a pop-up like when building a custom File Name Template? (There's a whole list of stuff in "Add Property…")
  • I have got 150 layers in a comp... Is there any way to replace layer name by source name in that comp?

Thanks.
    You want to replace the layer name with the source name? If so i believe deleting the layer name causes it to use the source name (ie, replace with nothing)
  • Would be great if I could copy and paste the Special Replace Keywords from the "About" pop-up. Those extra features are not readily apparent. Or maybe add those to a pop-up like when building a custom File Name Template? (There's a whole list of stuff in "Add Property…")
    You can copy and paste from there, just use the Right-Click contextual menu to do it.  The fact that the keyboard shortcuts don't work is an Adobe bug which you should report to them.
  • Hello Lloyd Alvarez, thanks so much for this script, thanks for making my life so much easier with not only this script but True Comp Duplicator. I have a quick question, which i'm sure has an easy solution. I have several comps that initially were in sequential order,  they were titled Slide 01, Slide 02........., but I deleted a few comps from the project so now the sequence doesn't match because there are two less comps. For example the sixth comp is named Slide 08 because I got rid of Slide 07. How do I tell Global Renamer to keep the name Slide, but re sequence the ending number. thanks so much for your time. What an amazing script.
  • Not sure if someone has already asked/said this.

It would be awesome to have in the scope drop down "Only Selected Project Panel Item Names". So I can select only 5 different items, and only rename those selected items.

Or is that already possible and I'm just not getting it?

Amazing script by the way. THANK YOU!
  • Not sure if someone has already asked/said this.

It would be awesome to have in the scope drop down "Only Selected Project Panel Item Names". So I can select only 5 different items, and only rename those selected items.

Or is that already possible and I'm just not getting it?

Amazing script by the way. THANK YOU!

You can already do this. Just choose Project panel items as the scope and select the items you want to rename in the project panel. Please watch the demo video is you want to better understand how the tool works.
  • Hello Lloyd Alvarez, thanks so much for this script, thanks for making my life so much easier with not only this script but True Comp Duplicator. I have a quick question, which i'm sure has an easy solution. I have several comps that initially were in sequential order,  they were titled Slide 01, Slide 02........., but I deleted a few comps from the project so now the sequence doesn't match because there are two less comps. For example the sixth comp is named Slide 08 because I got rid of Slide 07. How do I tell Global Renamer to keep the name Slide, but re sequence the ending number. thanks so much for your time. What an amazing script.

We added incremental numbering in v1.5.
    Watch this tutorial for details:

To replace the numbers you can use this regex:

[0-9]+
  • Would be so cool to be able to rename also effects applied on layers ;) ;) ;)
  • Would be so cool to be able to rename also effects applied on layers ;) ;) ;)
    This will be in the next version for sure!
  • Hi,

Is it possible to rename compositions based on the media in a composition. For example, in a comp that might be called "Rostrum Template 001" where there is a still called "Programme02_LibraryX_Still001" Could the comp be renamed to match? I frequently have hundreds of stills with different names that need moves added to them but where it is useful to keep the full name of the original image, and this function would be amazing!

I've read through the comments and unless I've missed something (in which case, sorry!) I can't see this question.
  • Hi,

Is it possible to rename compositions based on the media in a composition. For example, in a comp that might be called "Rostrum Template 001" where there is a still called "Programme02_LibraryX_Still001" Could the comp be renamed to match? I frequently have hundreds of stills with different names that need moves added to them but where it is useful to keep the full name of the original image, and this function would be amazing!

I've read through the comments and unless I've missed something (in which case, sorry!) I can't see this question.
    You can't do it in this version but you can do it in the next major version we are working on. Please open a support ticket and we can get you on the beta so you can try it. 
  • I can't seem to get the "Selected property children" Scope to work. I tried renaming masks and puppet pins just like the video but it's not doing anything. Could it be a OSX Sierra issue? I tried in both AE 2015.3 and 2017. Thanks.
  • Jon Smith said:
    I can't seem to get the "Selected property children" Scope to work. I tried renaming masks and puppet pins just like the video but it's not doing anything. Could it be a OSX Sierra issue? I tried in both AE 2015.3 and 2017. Thanks.
    Please record a screencast showing your steps and submit it via a support ticket. You can use this to record the screencast: 
  • Awesome script by the way.

I have a question, that may or may not be a use for your script as written....

Is it possible to script this in such a way to set the name of specific comps to the name of the AE Project?

For example:

AE project title, show100_010_101_main_comp_v001.aep

2 render comps:

render comp 1: Named show100_010_101_main_comp_v001. This comp will create numbered DPX frames. It is cued in render cue, named show100_010_101_main_comp_v001

render comp 2: Named show100_010_101_main_comp_v001 This comp is using a post render import and replace footage item (importing the numbered DPX frames from above) also in the render cue named show100_010_101_main_comp_v001 as a quicktime output to a different folder.

So assuming the initial setup for the version 1 of the project file, everything is labeled as noted above. 

When incrementing and saving, thereby making the new AE project name show100_010_101_main_comp_v002

The comp names and the render cue items auto update based on that name. 

Is something like that possible? 

While your script is an amazing time saver, as I can now change those 4 items with a couple of clicks. I'm wondering since you've unlocked the magic words for changing these items, if it's possible to harness your functionality to happen automatically based on AE project name.

Make sense?
  • Yes, just use the [projectname] special keyword