BG Renderer MAX
  • Hi nik,

Thanks for your clarification. I have 64 GB RAM and tried 5 threads now for a simple 150 frames Element 3D scene (1080p) with two lights (+AO and reflection) and BG renderer most of the time uses a little CPU power (10-20%) only. Most cores were sitting relaxed on the couch. Rendertime was almost the same between AE-render and BG renderer.

Is this because Element 3D uses GPU power and not CPU for rendering? Is BG renderer not able to speed up the final render of a project with Element 3D, Stardust etc. enabled? However, CPU rendering for ray-trace is prioritized on my machine. 

Best
    Mike

• Is it possible to somehow "send" or assign a render to another Mac? Create a render farm process?
  • I bought this and it works great. But I can't get the license to work or be acknowledged. I used Ae script Plugin manager app and it says it is licensed but the trial windows keeps popping up. I tried copy and paste of the license I have in my Licenses and that says it's not the right format. Now the trial has run out and I can't use it at all. Even though it says it is licensed to me....

I opened a support ticket and am getting nothing.
  • Is it possible to somehow "send" or assign a render to another Mac? Create a render farm process?
    Hi,

We are working on this feature for future releases. Not ready for production yet.

Nik
  • I bought this and it works great. But I can't get the license to work or be acknowledged. I used Ae script Plugin manager app and it says it is licensed but the trial windows keeps popping up. I tried copy and paste of the license I have in my Licenses and that says it's not the right format. Now the trial has run out and I can't use it at all. Even though it says it is licensed to me....

I opened a support ticket and am getting nothing.
    Hi Aaron,

We've forwarded your ticket to the team that handles licenses, they are going to help you soon!

Nik
  • Hi Nik

I'm running Bg Renderer Max with After Effects 2020. 

When i close AE bg keeps rendreing but there is no bg window. Is this a bug or AE needs to be open all the time?

Thanks!
  • I'm starting to get pretty fed up with BG Renderer... More often than not it states that "Some of the frames might be missing. Please double-check if the created video is correct...."

I'm only trying to render with 2 cores (out of 32 logical cores), with 64GB of ram. 

Sure, it's faster than rendering with AE when it works, but sometimes it works out quicker to just render with AE as it'll bug out. 
  • AE v17.5.1 (Build 47)
    BG MAX 1.22 

Getting cache errors on long renders and cache folder it directs me to (custom) is totally empty.
    Finishes rendering but worrisome.
  • AE v17.5.1 (Build 47)
    BG MAX 1.22 

Getting cache errors on long renders and cache folder it directs me to (custom) is totally empty.
    Finishes rendering but worrisome.
    Hi Dominic,

May I ask you to share these error messages with me via a support ticket? Would be useful for implementing a possible fix.

Nik
  • Hi Nik

I'm running Bg Renderer Max with After Effects 2020. 

When i close AE bg keeps rendreing but there is no bg window. Is this a bug or AE needs to be open all the time?

Thanks!
    Hi Kamil,

There is no standalone BGR app (yet) to show you the render progress while AE is closed. You may reopen After Effects anytime to check on the render progress. Please note that some notifications may not work with the After Effects closed as well.

Nik
  • Seb James said:
    I'm starting to get pretty fed up with BG Renderer... More often than not it states that "Some of the frames might be missing. Please double-check if the created video is correct...."

I'm only trying to render with 2 cores (out of 32 logical cores), with 64GB of ram. 

Sure, it's faster than rendering with AE when it works, but sometimes it works out quicker to just render with AE as it'll bug out. 
    Hi Seb,

Just to make sure, the end result does contain the missing frames, or this is just the error message?

Nik
  • Nik Ska said:
    Seb James said:
    I'm starting to get pretty fed up with BG Renderer... More often than not it states that "Some of the frames might be missing. Please double-check if the created video is correct...."

Hi Seb,

Just to make sure, the end result does contain the missing frames, or this is just the error message?

Nik
    Hi Nik,
    The end result doesn't contain the frames listed. It happens on multiple projects of varying complexity (even sometimes simple ones).
    Thanks,

Seb
  • Seb James said:
    Nik Ska said:
    Seb James said:

Hi Seb,

Nik
    Hi Nik,
    The end result doesn't contain the frames listed. It happens on multiple projects of varying complexity (even sometimes simple ones).
    Thanks,

Seb
    May I ask you to do the following:
    1. Follow the troubleshooting guidelines here: https://bgrenderer.com/troubleshooting#firststeps
    2. Do another render

Thank you,
    Nik
  • Can you implement codec Quicktime Animation? We use it daily in our workflow
  • Hi 

I tried with my comp-3K resolution which it took almost 48 mins which is the same with AE's render. 
    I set the BGRenderMax with single..then i tried again with multi with TIFF then video compile as Prores422HQ, i set as 4 but then it took much longer than previously...it took almost 1 hr 57 mins..so i decided to stop it.

I run AE2020-Windows 10 Pro-i7-4770K-3.6Ghz-32Gb RAM.

So How to make it faster ? do you mind to help me ?

Thank you!

Best regards,
    Kito
  • Is it possible to make BG Renderer Max behave like the old BG Renderer?  Sometimes I need to render out a lot of fairly simple, but longer videos and it was nice with the old version to be able to get 4 or 5 bg render instances going and render everything at the same time.  I've done some testing and trying to render these videos out with multiprocessing queued up one at a time in BG Renderer Max is a lot slower than using the old bg renderer to send each render queue item to it's own background render instance.  Thanks!
  • Can you implement codec Quicktime Animation? We use it daily in our workflow
    Hi Nguyen,

Animation compression is a bit non-trivial to recreate with ffmpeg so we decided to keep Prores as defaults. We are working on the new formats though.

Nik
  • Is it possible to make BG Renderer Max behave like the old BG Renderer?  Sometimes I need to render out a lot of fairly simple, but longer videos and it was nice with the old version to be able to get 4 or 5 bg render instances going and render everything at the same time.  I've done some testing and trying to render these videos out with multiprocessing queued up one at a time in BG Renderer Max is a lot slower than using the old bg renderer to send each render queue item to it's own background render instance.  Thanks!
    Hi Chad,

We've actually made most of the changes to do so, so I guess release 1.1 is going to have this feature.

Nik
  • Can you implement codec Quicktime H.264? We use it daily in our workflow
  • Current version 1.0.23 won't work at all. won't even show up in AE when I click on it under Window>Extensions.
  • After updating, the BG renderer max window won't open.

Running AE 2020 on Mac OS X 11.2.2

Thanks in advance!
  • After updating, the BG renderer max window won't open.

Running AE 2020 on Mac OS X 11.2.2

Thanks in advance!
    We've messed up with the recent update. Please uninstall BGR using ZXP Installer and then download the files to install again.

Thank you,
    Nik
  • Nik Ska said:
    Is it possible to make BG Renderer Max behave like the old BG Renderer?  Sometimes I need to render out a lot of fairly simple, but longer videos and it was nice with the old version to be able to get 4 or 5 bg render instances going and render everything at the same time.  I've done some testing and trying to render these videos out with multiprocessing queued up one at a time in BG Renderer Max is a lot slower than using the old bg renderer to send each render queue item to it's own background render instance.  Thanks!
    Hi Chad,

We've actually made most of the changes to do so, so I guess release 1.1 is going to have this feature.

Nik
    Thanks for letting me know!  Looking forward to that release!
  • I bought this product, but I saw in the PDF document that it is not perfectly compatible with Chinese and Korean, I would like to know if you can solve this problem?

• Hi,

I bought this today and can't get it to work properly. Sometimes it stops mid way, sometimes I get a cache error. When I did get the final MOV to work it was totally glitchy and it seems it can't handle roto brush? Not worth paying for if you ask me, it was supposed to save me time but has actually cost me so much time.
    Hi Shaun,

How many threads do you set up for BGR? What are your After Effects and Operating System versions?

Nik
  • Li Shao said:
    I bought this product, but I saw in the PDF document that it is not perfectly compatible with Chinese and Korean, I would like to know if you can solve this problem?
    Hi Li,

I believe that we support Korean now but not Chinese. If you have an issue with that, please send us a support ticket with refund request.

Nik
  • Hello, I am wondering how BG Renderer stands with this announcement from Adobe about Multi-Frame Rendering in Ae : 
    "The After Effects Beta includes Multi-Frame Rendering support for export via the updated Render Queue. When fully implemented, Multi-Frame Rendering will allow After Effects to take advantage of multi-core CPUs for improved export"

Just curious, and hopefully BG Renderer will still be relevant and give us performance ON TOP of this. 

Regards
  • Hello, I am wondering how BG Renderer stands with this announcement from Adobe about Multi-Frame Rendering in Ae : 
    "The After Effects Beta includes Multi-Frame Rendering support for export via the updated Render Queue. When fully implemented, Multi-Frame Rendering will allow After Effects to take advantage of multi-core CPUs for improved export"

Just curious, and hopefully BG Renderer will still be relevant and give us performance ON TOP of this. 

Regards
    Hi Olivié,

We've been testing BGR with AE 18.1 and 18.2 since its launch and already made all necessary adjustments. To be honest, with the new engine, BGR doesn't give much performance difference on the native Adobe multiframe render engine, but somehow we still get around 10-20% speed improvement.
    What BGR is going to continue to provide is, well, true Background rendering experience allowing artists to continue working while rendering. What I've noticed with Adobe's multiframe rendering is that is consumes way more system resources, so our CPU limiter comes in handy here.
    We are now working on bringing back multi-composition rendering, this seems like a more logical development for the BGR in the future. All the integrations and online render status monitoring are here to stay and we may also work more towards online features later this year.

Nik
  • I have installed the demo version to test before paying, sadly the render finish imitiatly without rendering a single frame. Has anybody tried something similar?

I would also like to know how BG Rendere works with Element 3D? I know it has been an issue in the older versions.

Cheers,
    Christian
  • Same here, not working at all. I'm on a Mac 10.15.7 64gb ram. I've installed on two computers and the same issue. It's completes a render in 0 sec and nothing is rendered.
    Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 8.54.21 AM.png
    1966 x 474 - 94K
  • The h.264 render presets are unusable could you recommend a setting for the ffmpeg encoder for a youtube encode
  • Hi, 

i couldn't start BG Renderer. I alway get an Errormessage. (See Attachment). 
    I reinstalled BG Renderer but i can't start the render. Do you know what i can do? 

Best regards 

Patrick
    2021-09-30 18_28_31-.png
    1270 x 61 - 12K
  • Hi!

Love it.

Can you up the render queue limit?  I ended up with over 500 items in my render queue and it refused to add the lastest stuff.  I fixed it by deleting old items in the list.  But it's nice to keep a count just to shout at client about.

• Big sur 11.6
    AE 22.0
    Working finally!!
  • a great plugin...BUT..... always getting issues... dont start renders... or render in other folder inside appdata... the reset button doesent works.. re-install the plugin is the only solution for this things.... and now you re-write your plugin and i cant update it directly....first when are you gone to release a really work versión budy?  or i´ll buy the anounced PRO version and still having a list of errors? 
  • a great plugin...BUT..... always getting issues... dont start renders... or render in other folder inside appdata... the reset button doesent works.. re-install the plugin is the only solution for this things.... and now you re-write your plugin and i cant update it directly....first when are you gone to release a really work versión budy?  or i´ll buy the anounced PRO version and still having a list of errors? 
    Hi Pedro,

Please follow the troubleshooting procedure described on this page: https://bgrenderer.com/troubleshooting#firststeps Afterwards, generate log files attach them to the support ticket: https://bgrenderer.com/troubleshooting#logs

Make sure you send .log and .ndjson files. Please also attach a screenshot of your BGR settings.

Thank you
  • Hi!

Love it.

Can you up the render queue limit?  I ended up with over 500 items in my render queue and it refused to add the lastest stuff.  I fixed it by deleting old items in the list.  But it's nice to keep a count just to shout at client about.

Hi Charl,

Sorry for the late reply. To be honest, we were not aware of the limit, lol!
    Gonna do the testing.

Nik
  • Hi, 
    on my Mac Mojave and CC 2018, I have at the time of the return this error ERROR 1701: AEGetParamPt failed at line 778
    can you help me? :)
    thanks
  • Hi, 
    on my Mac Mojave and CC 2018, I have at the time of the return this error ERROR 1701: AEGetParamPt failed at line 778
    can you help me? :)
    thanks
    Hi Roman,

You have to use CC 2022 due to macOS security updates on all major versions (10.14 and newer).

Nik
  • Is this still valid with AE 2022 multi render?
  • Is this still valid with AE 2022 multi render?
    Hi Nikolaus,

BGR is indeed valid as it provides backround rendering capabilities and still can parallelize even mfr, though it's not advisable to set thread count to 3 or more now.

Nik
  • Hello - when I render an image sequence (AE 2021/Windows 10) I always get this error after saying frames might be missing and then a massive repeat of the error text "from frame NaN to NaN, from frame NaN to NaN, from frame NaN to NaN, from frame NaN to NaN" etc. Any help would be appreciated.
  • I have a Mac Pro 5.1, 12 core, 64GB  of RAM, 8GB GPU,MAC OS 10.14
    Adobe After Effects 18.4.1

I installed BGR and started up AE to do a test render. Received an error.
    Restarted workstation and received error.
    Errors claim that BGR is not the cause.
    Tried another render and the nothing is happening.
    Reinstalled, restarted, tried a simpler comp to render. Nothing happening.

Perhaps my old (processor upgraded) machine isn't adequate for your product(?)
    I opened support ticket but aescripts seems to be backlogged.

• I have a Mac Pro 5.1, 12 core, 64GB  of RAM, 8GB GPU,MAC OS 10.14
    Adobe After Effects 18.4.1

I installed BGR and started up AE to do a test render. Received an error.
    Restarted workstation and received error.
    Errors claim that BGR is not the cause.
    Tried another render and the nothing is happening.
    Reinstalled, restarted, tried a simpler comp to render. Nothing happening.

Perhaps my old (processor upgraded) machine isn't adequate for your product(?)
    I opened support ticket but aescripts seems to be backlogged.

Hi,

We haven't tested BGR on the MacPro 5.1, but is should definitely work.
    May I ask you to open a ticket and send us a log along with the GifGun setting s screenshot?

Please follow the troubleshooting procedure described on this page: https://bgrenderer.com/troubleshooting#firststeps Afterwards, generate log files attach them to the conversation: https://bgrenderer.com/troubleshooting#logs

Make sure you send .log and .ndjson files. Please also attach a screenshot of your BGR settings.

Thank you
  • Hi

I'm using the trial version right now.

When I finished the BG render it pop out this message. And it didn't render completely.
    I notice that the png image is rendered out success, but it didn't transform to the video format.
    I will really appreciate it if you can help me to fix this.

include the error message and the log document in the attachment.
    eg render error.PNG
    600 x 518 - 103K
    log
    log
    default_out_log_core.log
  • Windows 10

I have installed bgrmax_1.0.25 using the ZXP installer. It says that it has been installed successfully, however it doesn't appear in the ZXP list of AE extensions, nor does it appear in any of my After Effects versions. I've tried reinstalling the older version (1.0.24) and the same thing happens. The plugin does appear in the the ZXP "Others" category, with an option to uninstall, but the uninstaller doesn't work either.  Thoughts on how I should proceed?

Thank you,
    Mike
  • Windows 10

I have installed bgrmax_1.0.25 using the ZXP installer. It says that it has been installed successfully, however it doesn't appear in the ZXP list of AE extensions, nor does it appear in any of my After Effects versions. I've tried reinstalling the older version (1.0.24) and the same thing happens. The plugin does appear in the the ZXP "Others" category, with an option to uninstall, but the uninstaller doesn't work either.  Thoughts on how I should proceed?

Thank you,
    Mike
    Hi Michael,

May I ask you to install with the Aescripts Manager App?

Nik
  • Nik Ska said:
    Windows 10

Thank you,
    Mike
    Hi Michael,

May I ask you to install with the Aescripts Manager App?

Nik
    Apologies on the delay; I didn't get an email notification. This worked. Thank you!!  --Mike
  • Hi there,

Enjoying the script - very useful, however I have discovered something you may want to look into. 
    I do a lot of video retouching work and often end up with a large queue of renders, often at 4k, so being able to render in the background is very useful.
    I usually work on a ProRes 4444 10bit source that is usually LogC - as a result I use no specific workspace and set my project to 16bpc. 
    Recently I used BG Renderer to render out whilst I was working, I used the option that compiles to a specified format and then deletes the sequence files.
    I used PNGs for the sequence and conformed to a preset ProRes + Alpha.
    My rendered files then went to a colourist who reported a change in the hue compared to the original image, I checked my output against the source and there was a slight warm hue shift across the whole image.
    This doesn't happen when rendering natively within After Effects. I also tested it with .tiff sequences and got the same result. It does not happen when rendering to just an image sequence with no compile option.

So I wonder if something happens in the compile from PNG / Tiff sequence to ProRes. Its a handy feature for me and save many steps in conforming to ProRes, but its unusable if it changes the hue in this way. Let me know if you want any further details. unfortunately I cannot supply files or images due to NDAs.

Cheers,

Dylan.
  • Are there any plans to add parallel rendering of compositions?