BG Renderer Pro
  • Hi Lloyd,

very strange things happening here: Yesterday I was lucky to finally get a sound at the "end" of each terminal window. At times I could only start one terminal window, the next one would just hang... weird... Notifications obviously set up correctly but did not work at all:-(

My guess is there is a slight glitch somewhere (hopefully not AE itself...).

So I would like to delete BGR (in the scripts-folder) and download a fresh copy from aescripts. Also I would like to delete the settings - if you could tell me where they are stored?!

Thanks a lot!

Christian

• So I would like to delete BGR (in the scripts-folder) and download a fresh copy from aescripts. Also I would like to delete the settings - if you could tell me where they are stored?!

No need to re-install as that is not the issue. You should only have notifications on one window, if you have multiple windows with notifications they will conflict with each other. Again, please watch the tutorial to learn how to use them.   And check the knowledgebase for help downloading items: How to download items
  • Hi Lloyd,

problem appears to be solved:
    Running only one instance of BGR - notifications work fine - even though sometimes they do not seem to get to my mobile...
    Running multiple instances of BGR - notifications do not work.

Question: Since the beauty of BGR is its capability to be run in several instances up to 100 % CPU-load - is there a way for you to modify the coding so that only the last open instance sends notifications (or for that matter - only when all instances have ended the notifications are sent?

Thanks a lot!!

Christian
  •  is there a way for you to modify the coding so that only the last open instance sends notifications (or for that matter - only when all instances have ended the notifications are sent? 
    Anything is possible.. i'll add it to the feature request list.
  • As noted in the previous comment the AESend error is usually related to a rogue plugin.  Please try rendering a simple comp then turn on the plugins in the comp that is giving you the error one at a time until you can isolate the plugin that is giving you an issue. I bet you it's because it's not compatible with CC2014.  In any case this is not a BG Renderer issue as it's successfully opening the project to render in the BG.  
    Thanks Lloyd, I eventually figured out it was a comp unrelated to the one I was using - it was a readymade template comp of mine that had a number of adjustment layers for DSLR footage processing. Once I deleted that comp I was able to use BG renderer to render out other comps normally.
  • Lloyd.   Awesome product.  Saved me so much time so far.  

I have been rendering a group of comps over the past few days and must say that overall this has been godsend.   Admittedly my source files are a bit scattered, with some on dropbox and some on my computer.  I've moved some files from another's computer onto mine and imported them into my ae files. 

These groups of comps have similar paths and dependencies, but its strange that two of them are throwing me this error: 

aerender Error: After Effects error: Error in output for render output module 1.  Directory does not exist: \\Computer IMac\Macintosh\User\Desktop\Project\filename.

That file was a file that I moved onto my computer then imported it into my file though it seems that its still preserving the path somewhere.  Rendering straight out of After Effects is fine though.  I tried relinking these files to the sources on my computer but its still giving me that error.  ANy ideas?  How do I check on those files dependencies.

I'm running AE6 on a Windows 7 PC and have the most recent BGR pro.   

• aerender Error: After Effects error: Error in output for render output module 1.  Directory does not exist: \\Computer IMac\Macintosh\User\Desktop\Project\filename.
    The error is in your render queue output folder path, i would suggest you delete them and set them again and make sure that AE has read and write permissions to the folder.
  • Hi guys,

Those anyone knows if BG RENDERER PRO or teh basic version works with AE CC or AE CC 2014?
    Thanks in advance
  • Hi guys,

Those anyone knows if BG RENDERER PRO or teh basic version works with AE CC or AE CC 2014?
    Thanks in advance
    Yes it works, you can try the free trial yourself. If you have any issue please open a support ticket and we'll be happy to help.
  • Our company uses Exchange server for email.  How can BG render send an email using Exchange settings?
  • Our company uses Exchange server for email.  How can BG render send an email using Exchange settings?
    It uses a normal SMTP host setup.  You can download the free trial and try it for yourself. 
  • If I wanted to get a third party mail application to send the email, could I use this command line set up in the "command" feature?

#!/bin/bash
    echo "tell application \"Mail\"
    activate

set MyEmail to make new outgoing message with properties {visible:true, subject:\"Approval\", content:\"file:///Volumes/sample.mov\"}
    tell MyEmail
    make new to recipient at end of to recipients with properties {address:\"[email protected]\"}
    send
    end tell
    end tell
    " | osascript
  • If I wanted to get a third party mail application to send the email, could I use this command line set up in the "command" feature?
    Again, i encourage you to download the free trial and simply try it for yourself as every setup is different but this should not be a problem except for it might be simpler to just save your script to a file and run that script with the command post-render action
  • I seem to be having a similar problem to Lippy back in April 2013 though I'm trying to render from AE CC while I still have CS6 on the machine. Both are installed to the default location so I don't believe reinstallation is necessary (though it could be) and the following error only appears on select projects while others render perfectly fine.

BG Renderer v2.12

RENDERING: Sent_EA_27_panAndScan.aep

Launching aerender...
    aerender version 11.0.4x2
    Using CXGI: Device: "NVIDIA Quadro K5000" has dedicated video RAM (MB): 4036
    aerender Error: After Effects error: The file you are attempting to open was created with After Effects version 12.2.1 (Windows 64) and cannot be opened with this version. See www.adobe.com/aftereffects for information on upgrading your software.

It seems that BG Renderer is trying to use the earlier AE install to render rather than the latest version. Are you able to advise in this regard?
  • It seems that BG Renderer is trying to use the earlier AE install to render rather than the latest version. Are you able to advise in this regard?
    Sounds like something might be corrupted with your AE installation. I would try deleting your prefs or re-installing to see if that clears things up.  BG Renderer simply send the render to the aerender in the same folder as the AE it is launched from.
  • Is there any way to get this to work with the Ray-Traced 3D renderer?
  • Is there any way to get this to work with the Ray-Traced 3D renderer?
    aerender can only render on the cpu so you cannot use it for any gpu rendering and you would not want to anyway as it would be much slower.
  • Hi I use BG Renderer all the time and love it of course. As of this morning, when I launch it I get an error message in the command prompt:

"ERROR: After Effects can not open a socket to aerender."

Any idea what this means and how it can be remedied? Many, many thanks.

• Hi I use BG Renderer all the time and love it of course. As of this morning, when I launch it I get an error message in the command prompt:

"ERROR: After Effects can not open a socket to aerender."

Any idea what this means and how it can be remedied? Many, many thanks.

Sounds like something is blocking the communication between AE and aerender. Do you have a firewall or virus software that might be blocking it?  Otherwise something is corrupted with your AE installation (although i highly suspect the firewall) and you will want to re-install.
  • It seems like my antivirus software had updated itself and had switched on a firewall setting I wasn't aware of. After lots of hunting today I've managed to find the setting and disable the firewall and good ol' BG Renderer seems to be working as good as new. Thanks so much for your prompt and very helpful advice!
  • hi

it would seem that multi thread processing no longer works with bgrender in the CC versions of AE.
    is that correct ?

• hi

it would seem that multi thread processing no longer works with bgrender in the CC versions of AE.
    is that correct ?

Don't think so although it's not recommended to use MP with aerender. You will get better performance but turning it off and launching multiple BG Renderer instances.
  • Hi,

I'm having some trouble using my new shiny BG Render... I've installed the script into Script UI Panels, queued my render, saved, and when I hit the BG Render button the following error is presented in Terminal:

Launching aerender...

INFO:Unable to allocate 0.000 MB of memory. Either decrease the memory requirements for the rendering of this frame, or install more RAM. (12803 / stream value cache). For more information, see www.adobe.com/go/learn_ae_mem
    INFO:Unable to allocate 0.020 MB of memory. Either decrease the memory requirements for the rendering of this frame, or install more RAM. (12803 / list). For more information, see www.adobe.com/go/learn_ae_mem
    aerender ERROR: No project provided and no project open.
    aerender version 13.1x111
    PROGRESS: Launching After Effects...
    PROGRESS: ...After Effects successfully launched
    aerender ERROR -609: AESend failed to send apple event at line 769

Am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks for your time!
  • I'm having some trouble using my new shiny BG Render... I've installed the script into Script UI Panels, queued my render, saved, and when I hit the BG Render button the following error is presented in Terminal:

Launching aerender...

INFO:Unable to allocate 0.000 MB of memory. Either decrease the memory requirements for the rendering of this frame, or install more RAM. (12803 / stream value cache). For more information, see www.adobe.com/go/learn_ae_mem
    INFO:Unable to allocate 0.020 MB of memory. Either decrease the memory requirements for the rendering of this frame, or install more RAM. (12803 / list). For more information, see www.adobe.com/go/learn_ae_mem
    Investigating this now but I think this might be a bug with After Effects as we've had a few customers report this exact same issue with 13.1x111.  Please file this bug with adobe here: http://adobe.com/go/wish  and say that you are getting this error when attempting to render your project with aerender.
  • Ditto - had the issue back on my July 23 post and still happening. Reported to the adobe post. Hopefully will get resolved on either end as other users now reporting.

thanks

dj
  • Ditto - had the issue back on my July 23 post and still happening. Reported to the adobe post. Hopefully will get resolved on either end as other users now reporting.
    Does it happen on a specific project?  Can you try on a simple project without 3rd party plugins?
  • I just wanted to drop by and thank you for your work on this script! It's probably the best single investment I've made when it comes to plugins and scripts. Recommended for everyone who would like to save time and increase their productivity.

One feature suggestion: would it be possible to write the name of the composition being rendered to the command prompt title or maybe next to the PROGRESS-text? When rendering longer sequences, the backlog length (on Windows at least) is limited, and after a while it becomes difficult to remember what is being rendered on which window. A few times I've had several renderer windows running at the same time, noticed an error that needs fixing on one of the comps, but couldn't figure out which instance was actually rendering that particular sequence.
  • I just wanted to drop by and thank you for your work on this script! It's probably the best single investment I've made when it comes to plugins and scripts. Recommended for everyone who would like to save time and increase their productivity.

One feature suggestion: would it be possible to write the name of the composition being rendered to the command prompt title or maybe next to the PROGRESS-text? When rendering longer sequences, the backlog length (on Windows at least) is limited, and after a while it becomes difficult to remember what is being rendered on which window. A few times I've had several renderer windows running at the same time, noticed an error that needs fixing on one of the comps, but couldn't figure out which instance was actually rendering that particular sequence.
    Glad you like it!  And it already writes the name of the comp that is currently rendering to the window title.  If you are having a specific issue please open a support ticket with as many details as possible including screenshots for us to best be able to help you.
  • Does it happen on a specific project?  Can you try on a simple project without 3rd party plugins?
    It's very sporadic. On a clean project it'll work in a comp that has no plugs sometimes on Element 3d, sometimes on Plexus 2, sometimes not.
  • I'm still having the issue with BG Renderer when it ends early on a render, and gives the "have a nice day" when is hasn't fully completed the render. It usually happens when I go back to working in AE or Premiere, and at that moment BG Renderer ends and stops rendering. I know this has been an issue for awhile and we are encouraged to report it to Adobe, but it still happens and just upgraded to CC2014 13.113 and OS 10.9.5. Apparently it is not on Adobe's radar. Wanted to see if there are any fixes workarounds or anything to keep this from happening..? Thanks, 
    Jon
  • I'm still having the issue with BG Renderer when it ends early on a render, and gives the "have a nice day" when is hasn't fully completed the render. It usually happens when I go back to working in AE or Premiere, and at that moment BG Renderer ends and stops rendering. I know this has been an issue for awhile and we are encouraged to report it to Adobe, but it still happens and just upgraded to CC2014 13.113 and OS 10.9.5. Apparently it is not on Adobe's radar. Wanted to see if there are any fixes workarounds or anything to keep this from happening..? Thanks, 
    I still believe this is because you are saving the project before the bg render begins but without more details it's impossible for us to know.
  • Thanks for your reply, and for the great software. Not sure what you mean by "saving the project before the bg renderer begins". What I usually do is save the project in AE before hitting the BG renderer button on the UI, then hit the BG render button in the UI and yes on the following dialog box ("the project needs to be saved"), then wait for it to start and begin processing frames. Then I move back to AE or Premiere and at that moment the renderer will stop rendering leaving a partially completed file that won't open in QT. The renders are usually ProRes 422 or 4444 with alpha, 1920x1080, 29.97. Source footage, doesn't seem to make a difference, can have live action in it, or be created entirely in AE. Let me know what other info you need, thanks!
    Jon
  • Thanks for your reply, and for the great software. Not sure what you mean by "saving the project before the bg renderer begins". What I usually do is save the project in AE before hitting the BG renderer button on the UI, then hit the BG render button in the UI and yes on the following dialog box ("the project needs to be saved"), then wait for it to start and begin processing frames. Then I move back to AE or Premiere and at that moment the renderer will stop rendering leaving a partially completed file that won't open in QT. The renders are usually ProRes 422 or 4444 with alpha, 1920x1080, 29.97. Source footage, doesn't seem to make a difference, can have live action in it, or be created entirely in AE. Let me know what other info you need, thanks!
    Jon
    BG Renderer sends your project to render on the command line with "aerender" which is Adobe's command line renderer.  To do this it first needs to save the project so that the current state including the render queue is saved. After it's saved it "unqueued" the render queue items with the assumption that they will be rendered in the BG and you don't accidentally render them again in the future.  It then opens and loads the project in aerender to which will render any items that are queued in the render queue.  So if you "save" your project in AE after it's been sent to aerender but before it's been opened and fully loaded it will save the project with the render item unqueued so when aerender opens it there won't be anything queued to render.  Hope this makes sense.
  • Thanks for the response, good to know. Once I hit the BG Renderer button I've been hands off, until I see it spitting out frames. Then I move to do something else. It seems like it has been this way for awhile, a couple of versions. Could it be something else/ 
    Thxs
    Jon

• Thanks for the response, good to know. Once I hit the BG Renderer button I've been hands off, until I see it spitting out frames. Then I move to do something else. It seems like it has been this way for awhile, a couple of versions. Could it be something else/ 
    Do you have MP turned on? If so try turning it off, it's possible AE is terminating some of those processes when you go back to AE.  
  • Yep its off in AE. I  have it on in the  BG Renderer UI. 
    Thxs
    Jon

• Yep its off in AE. I  have it on in the  BG Renderer UI. 
    Turn it off everywhere. Adobe did not do a very good job implementing MP. You will get much better performance doing it by running several BG Renderer instances and it might also be the root cause of your issues.  Please refer to the BG Renderer tutorial on how to do this.

• Thanks, will try that. 
    Jon
  • I know it's not top priority when few people have this issue (cc2014 latest version) but is there any other way i can troubleshoot to try to get this working in cc2014. CS6 just fine.
  • I know it's not top priority when few people have this issue (cc2014 latest version) but is there any other way i can troubleshoot to try to get this working in cc2014. CS6 just fine.
    Again, it's an Adobe bug so not much we can do about it unfortunately. However the more people that report the problem to the the more likely it will be fixed.  Please file this bug with adobe here: http://adobe.com/go/wish  and say that you are getting this error when attempting to render your project with aerender.
  • My question is about multiple instances with an image sequence to maximize on the CPU use and decrease the render time. (the main bonus of this script besides being able to continue working at the same time). Is this in fact true? There are no settings in the basic version of course, but when i create multiple instances it doesn't check and skip already done files but each instance simply starts from the beginning and just rewrites everything, meaning that is it rendered many times over. Am I missing something? The script page still only says its actually compatible with up to 5.5. Thanks for clarity on this...
  • My question is about multiple instances with an image sequence to maximize on the CPU use and decrease the render time. (the main bonus of this script besides being able to continue working at the same time). Is this in fact true? There are no settings in the basic version of course, but when i create multiple instances it doesn't check and skip already done files but each instance simply starts from the beginning and just rewrites everything, meaning that is it rendered many times over. Am I missing something? The script page still only says its actually compatible with up to 5.5. Thanks for clarity on this...
    You need to set the "Skip existing frames" option in your render settings for each render queue item.  Due to limitations in the After Effects api BG Renderer is unable to check or set that for you.  The compatibility has not been updated as we have not released the official version for the newer versions of AE but this version works fine and if you have any issues just let us know and we will do our best to help.
  • Hey!

I'm really enjoying this script so far. It's sped up my work flow a great deal. I have a quick question regarding E3D and BG Renderer Pro.

I'm having a problem rendering a comp with an element 3d layer in it. About 20 seconds into the render the element 3d object disappears while the rest of the comp continues to render. Any suggestions as to how I can avoid this? Should I keep AE open while it renders? Thanks again!

-Taylor
  • Hey!

I'm really enjoying this script so far. It's sped up my work flow a great deal. I have a quick question regarding E3D and BG Renderer Pro.

I'm having a problem rendering a comp with an element 3d layer in it. About 20 seconds into the render the element 3d object disappears while the rest of the comp continues to render. Any suggestions as to how I can avoid this? Should I keep AE open while it renders? Thanks again!

-Taylor
    You don't need to keep AE open but from what I understand Element uses the GPU to render so you will probably get much slower rendering speeds using aerender as it uses the CPU to render.  You might want to contact Video Copilot about this.
  • Hey folks,  I'm sure this info is in here somewhere, but I'm sort of in a spot where I need it as soon as possible- What's the correct way to kill a BG Renderer session in terminal so that the file is saved to that point?  Thanks a bunch!
  • The answer appears to be close the active terminal window then quit the app.  I'm pretty sure I saw a reference somewhere to a sequence that wouldn't save the working file in progress, is that right?  
  • OSX 10.10.1
    Mac Pro (Mid 2010)
    2x 2.66GHz 6-core Intel Xeon
    32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Nvidia Quadro 4000 + Nvidia Quadro 2000

Having a very strange issue in After Effects CC. Whenever I submit a BGrender (it does not matter what is in the comp. Can be extremely simple or complex/No plugins or plugins) it errors out. I get this error:

"INFO:Unable to allocate 0.000 MB of memory. Either decrease the memory requirements for the rendering of this frame, or install more RAM. (12803 / U_MemTrackedObject). For more information, see www.adobe.com/go/learn_ae_mem

INFO:Unable to allocate 0.020 MB of memory. Either decrease the memory requirements for the rendering of this frame, or install more RAM. (12803 / list). For more information, see www.adobe.com/go/learn_ae_mem

aerender version 13.1.1x3"

ISSUE SOLVED:

I've done some troubleshooting and the issue seems to be the dual graphics cards. I have tried multiple different card combinations (ATI and Nvidia). The only way to fix the problem is to remove the secondary graphics card then everything renders properly with no errors.  

Pretty annoying issue, any suggestions?

• I've done some troubleshooting and the issue seems to be the dual graphics cards. I have tried multiple different card combinations (ATI and Nvidia). The only way to fix the problem is to remove the secondary graphics card then everything renders properly with no errors.  

Pretty annoying issue, any suggestions?

This is an aerender issue so I would file a bug with this information with Adobe. You can do that here: http://adobe.com/go/wish
  • Just bumping - is there any way to troubleshoot AERender? Filed with Adobe and nothing new even in the latest AE update 13.2

I know BG Render is just passing the info on but Lloyd you are super helpful on these things.

i'm really missing this tool now in cc2014 

Launching aerender...

• Just bumping - is there any way to troubleshoot AERender? Filed with Adobe and nothing new even in the latest AE update 13.2

I know BG Render is just passing the info on but Lloyd you are super helpful on these things.

i'm really missing this tool now in cc2014 
    Please see the previous comment by Matt Brown, do you have more than one graphics card in your machine?