Ray Dynamic Color
  • So far RDC has been a great tool, thanks so much for providing this script.
    One question- when I apply RDC to a color property the un-expressed color changes to black. Is there a way to leave the color at it's user chosen value so that if I turn the expression off I don't get black?
    Thanks!
    Hey Richard, This is a good suggestion, I'll put this on the update list.

Thanks, S.
  • Hi guys, 
    I'd like to color my titles but titles don't seem to have a color attribute on which to assign the Dynamic Ray property. 
    I am using the latest v. of AE (CC 14), is there a workaround for this?
    Cheers 
  • Hi guys, 
    I'd like to color my titles but titles don't seem to have a color attribute on which to assign the Dynamic Ray property. 
    I am using the latest v. of AE (CC 14), is there a workaround for this?
    Cheers 
    You need to give us more details. Are they text layers? If the layer doesn't have a color property RDC will add a Fill Color effect.  If you are not seeing this behavior please record a screencast so we can see what steps you are taking and what result you are getting and open a support ticket to send it.
  • HI Looks great!, 

Is it works with text, Ai files, Solids or maybe Psd files? 

Thanks
  • Fantastic plugin, saves so much time and effort.
    One question, is it possible to fade between two colours? Adding keyframes just switches between them without fading?

• Fantastic plugin, saves so much time and effort.
    One question, is it possible to fade between two colours? Adding keyframes just switches between them without fading?

Hey Scott!

Have a look in this video at 45:00sec — "New Advanced Expression: Animate between colors."
    Due to limited expression possibilities the animation of colors will be linear. You can always go back to the old way and use the real color values in the keyframes. You can also mix normal keyframes with Ray keyframes!

Hope that answers your question,

S.
  • Hi, loving the script! It's an absolutely essential tool in my daily workflow, so thanks a lot for creating it :)

Unfortunately, after upgrading to a high DPI monitor, I seem to have some problems with it, that makes it pretty much unusable. 

I'm running the newest version of Ray Dynamic Color 1.5, in AE CC2015, under Win 8.1. I have a 4K monitor, so AE scales the UI, and this causes some buttons to disapear from the scripts UI. 

I'm guessing there is no easy fix for this problem, but I hope you will take it into account, in your next update.

Thanks.

• Hi, loving the script! It's an absolutely essential tool in my daily workflow, so thanks a lot for creating it :)

Unfortunately, after upgrading to a high DPI monitor, I seem to have some problems with it, that makes it pretty much unusable. 

I'm running the newest version of Ray Dynamic Color 1.5, in AE CC2015, under Win 8.1. I have a 4K monitor, so AE scales the UI, and this causes some buttons to disapear from the scripts UI. 

I'm guessing there is no easy fix for this problem, but I hope you will take it into account, in your next update.

Thanks.

This was a known bug in CC2014 that we were hoping Adobe was going to fix in CC2015. We will investigate this but please report it to Adobe as it's their bug not ours: http://adobe.com/go/wish

Please note that it only affects Windows 8.1 systems that are connected to a hi-dpi display. 
  • Hi there !

Is it possible to apply settings with Animate 1.5 on multiple layers simultaneously please?
  • Hi there !

Is it possible to apply settings with Animate 1.5 on multiple layers simultaneously please?
    Hi Fabien,

Yes, you can select multiple layers and apply a color using the advanced Animate expression. Make sure you have the stopwatch in front of the color property toggled on and It will set a keyframe for each layer.

Let me know if that worked for you,

S.
  • Hey man, just a question having to do with switching in between project files. When trying to copy shape layers from one project into another, the link breaks and everything goes black. Im not sure if theres a solution for this already but I thought I would run it by you.
  • Hey man, just a question having to do with switching in between project files. When trying to copy shape layers from one project into another, the link breaks and everything goes black. Im not sure if theres a solution for this already but I thought I would run it by you.
    Hey Garret!

Make sure you also copy the color palette comp as this holds the colors applied to your shape layers. You can recognize the color palette comp by the name of the palette and it has the name "Ray -" in front.

Let me know if that worked!

S.
  • Is there a way to change the color of text using RDC?
  • Hi Sander- Is this only for shape layers, or can it work for fill effects as well?
  • Hi Sander- Is this only for shape layers, or can it work for fill effects as well?
    It works with any color property so yes any effect that has a color property is supported.
  • Is there a way to change the color of text using RDC?
    Hi Jeff, When you apply a color to the text layer—Ray uses a fill effect to color the text.

There is no way to get to the color property of the AE Character panel... so if you want to color text in different colors, you can duplicate the fill effect on the text layer and assign that effect to a Mask.
    See a quick demo here + Another screenshot to show how this works.

In the case of having only two colors. You can make some parts of the text black and some parts white. Then you apply a tint effect to the text layer to change the black and white color for Ray colors!

Hope that works for you,

S.

• Hi Sander, 

Thanks for the great plugin. 

I have an issue where after selecting a high number of swatches and the vertical option, I cannot go back as the '?' sign is out of reach - see screenshot. 

I have already reinstalled RDC but no luck.  I am guessing I need to reset preferences somewhere in my adobe preferences folder, but can't find where?  

I am on Mac. 

Thanks and cheers

Charles

• Hi Sander, 

Thanks for the great plugin. 

I have an issue where after selecting a high number of swatches and the vertical option, I cannot go back as the '?' sign is out of reach - see screenshot. 

I have already reinstalled RDC but no luck.  I am guessing I need to reset preferences somewhere in my adobe preferences folder, but can't find where?  

I am on Mac. 

Thanks and cheers

Charles
    Please open a support ticket and send us your AE prefs file so we can reset your palette. https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1
  • Hi,

I am considering buying this script, but i wanted to know if it is legit to install it on my workstation and on my laptop with one single license? Much like the adobe cloud license works.

Thank you

Peter

• Hi,

I am considering buying this script, but i wanted to know if it is legit to install it on my workstation and on my laptop with one single license? Much like the adobe cloud license works.

Thank you

Peter

The license allows for the software to be installed on up to two computers as long as they are not being used at the same time. If you need to install it on more than two computers or use them at the same time you will need additional licenses.
  • Why thank you! Bought it!

Hi,

Thank you

Peter

The license allows for the software to be installed on up to two computers as long as they are not being used at the same time. If you need to install it on more than two computers or use them at the same time you will need additional licenses.

• Hi! Thanks for a great plugin! 
    I just found a small bugg: if ase file names contains special characters, such as "å, ä, ö", then the colors pop up as usual, but everything I try to color just becomes black. 

Not a big deal, just rename the file and try again, but might be good to know, took a while to figure out what the problem was. 
  • Hi! Thanks for a great plugin! 
    I just found a small bugg: if ase file names contains special characters, such as "å, ä, ö", then the colors pop up as usual, but everything I try to color just becomes black. 

Not a big deal, just rename the file and try again, but might be good to know, took a while to figure out what the problem was. 
    Thanks for discovering this Linus, we'll fix it in the next update!

S.
  • Hi thanks for a great plug in. Found this bug (sorry if it already was discovered). When you import a AE project wich already has ray dynamic color palettes, it messes up the current palette structure with the same names. also adding new palettes is giving problems (it keeps adding palettes with the same name instead of increasing numbers, and there fore replaces the colors all the time).
  • Bas Mooij said:
    Hi thanks for a great plug in. Found this bug (sorry if it already was discovered). When you import a AE project wich already has ray dynamic color palettes, it messes up the current palette structure with the same names. also adding new palettes is giving problems (it keeps adding palettes with the same name instead of increasing numbers, and there fore replaces the colors all the time).
    Can you please open a support ticket and include screenshots so we can see what you are referring to?
  • Hello,
    I have an animated project, where I map black and white colors of imported hand-drawn footage. I often have many separate objects which map to the same color and your plugin somehow sounds perfect for the job.

Is it possible to apply your colors directly to a Tint Mapping (Tint Effect) and not a shape layer's Fill and Stroke?
    Or is this only possible through expression linking?
  • Hello,
    I have an animated project, where I map black and white colors of imported hand-drawn footage. I often have many separate objects which map to the same color and your plugin somehow sounds perfect for the job.

Is it possible to apply your colors directly to a Tint Mapping (Tint Effect) and not a shape layer's Fill and Stroke?
    Or is this only possible through expression linking?
    Yes of course, it works with any color property. Just select the property and you can assign a Ray color to it. Please watch the video tutorials if you want to see this in action.
  • Hello!
    Thanks for this script. Could you add a color picker to window of a new version script? I'll like to change color without to open Ray Palette Comp.
  • Hello!
    Thanks for this script. Could you add a color picker to window of a new version script? I'll like to change color without to open Ray Palette Comp.
    Unfortunately this is not possible due to an After Effects bug that only Adobe can fix. I would encourage you to let Adobe know that this bug affects your workflow here: http://adobe.com/go/wish
  • got it to work, can't just copy the folder into the UI folder just the file only should be copied in.
  • got it to work, can't just copy the folder into the UI folder just the file only should be copied in.

Make sure it is installed directly in the ScriptUI Panels folder and not in a subfolder. If you still need help please open a support ticket with a screenshot of your install folder. https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1
  • I've got a shape layer with multiple shapes in it that are in two different colors. I click a on each shape and the color buttons in your script UI to change the colors. There are a lot of shapes though and this gets tiring. Any way to add functionality to determine how many different colors there are in the shape layer and link those up to the respective amount of color expression controls, to which I can dynamically change those color controls instead of going to each layer? Let me know if this is possible or if you need clarification. Thanks for the amazingly useful script!
  • I've got a shape layer with multiple shapes in it that are in two different colors. I click a on each shape and the color buttons in your script UI to change the colors. There are a lot of shapes though and this gets tiring. Any way to add functionality to determine how many different colors there are in the shape layer and link those up to the respective amount of color expression controls, to which I can dynamically change those color controls instead of going to each layer? Let me know if this is possible or if you need clarification. Thanks for the amazingly useful script!
    Hey Nick, If I understand correctly. Try selecting the shape layer with multiple shapes and then press the scan button, this will create a new color palette from all the color controls on that shape layer with multiple shapes. now you can dynamically change them. Hope this helps you.

Sander
  • Hello Lloyd,
    I'm trying to add some randomisation to my colours, using Ray Dynamic Color. I want something (the fill of a shape layer) to randomly choose one of the seven colours I have in my RDC palette. I thought I could change one of the numbers in the expression that RDC puts on the colour to a random value (with a random seed and Math.floor or similar to fix it to a constant integer value). So I assigned a colour using the RDC panel. I then assigned another colour to something else, to find which part of the expression is the 'magic number' that changes to tell AE which colour swatch to use. But no matter which colour I assign to something, the expression remains the same! Yet the thing changes colour, as you'd expect. What kind of magic is this?! How can the exact same expression produce a different colour? Or is that a trade secret?!

Ray
  • Paul Roper said:
    Hello Lloyd,
    I'm trying to add some randomisation to my colours, using Ray Dynamic Color. I want something (the fill of a shape layer) to randomly choose one of the seven colours I have in my RDC palette. I thought I could change one of the numbers in the expression that RDC puts on the colour to a random value (with a random seed and Math.floor or similar to fix it to a constant integer value). So I assigned a colour using the RDC panel. I then assigned another colour to something else, to find which part of the expression is the 'magic number' that changes to tell AE which colour swatch to use. But no matter which colour I assign to something, the expression remains the same! Yet the thing changes colour, as you'd expect. What kind of magic is this?! How can the exact same expression produce a different colour? Or is that a trade secret?!

Ray
    Hey Paul! 

This tutorial shows you how you can do that: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-BdrcOJY2ZjXbjRIbUMiCh7V7lisjTMj/view?usp=sharing

Let me know if that worked!

Sander
  • THANK YOU, Sander, for producing a personalised tutorial video - amazing! (Basically, I should have RTFM!) I never knew of the Random option. I now have a shot with about 25 wonderfully randomly coloured graphics popping on to the screen - all achieved with a couple of clicks.

(I'm still mystified as to how two identical RDC expressions can output two different colour values, though...)