Ray Dynamic Color 2
  • Hello,
    l'installation du plugin est terriblement compliqué... j'ai du faire appel à ma DSI pour l'installation et je pensais que c'était bon... mais non... moi qui ne suis qu'une simple utilisatrice d'after effects sans vraiment de notions de programmation... pfff, c'est galère. Comme je travaille à distance j'ai un VPN qui complique le tout... bref, ça fait plusieurs semaines que je dispose de la licence flottante et du plugin ray sans pouvoir l'utiliser !!! je suis frustrée... je ne sais pas comment faire...
    If you still need assistance please open a support ticket  https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1
  • Hi Sander,

I was looking for a tool that could randomize colors from a specific palette and I found RDC!  perfect.

One thing I noticed is If I use "random" to color items, save project, and then import into new project - the colors get re-randomized. (not what I wanted).

how can we "hold color" once randomized?  Unlinking won't solve the problem because we have to still be able to randomize at our leisure and there are far too many color settings to relink by hand. (including drop shadows that I don't want colored)

Thanks Jason

Edit:  I think I found away.  
    Once run through the randoms and you land on a color combo you like, select all the affected colors and change option from "random" to "color" and link.
  • Sorry one more.  May I suggest a feature?

It would be nice to tell RDC to avoid coloring specific parameters.  I want to color the fill, but leave the Drop Shadow alone.  a few others I don't want to include also.

I've been trying to write a couple scripts to locate these parameters and apply "value" expressions (since RDC will skip over those with expressions already applied)

Thanks
  • Hi Sander,

I was looking for a tool that could randomize colors from a specific palette and I found RDC!  perfect.

One thing I noticed is If I use "random" to color items, save project, and then import into new project - the colors get re-randomized. (not what I wanted).

how can we "hold color" once randomized?  Unlinking won't solve the problem because we have to still be able to randomize at our leisure and there are far too many color settings to relink by hand. (including drop shadows that I don't want colored)

Thanks Jason

Once run through the randoms and you land on a color combo you like, select all the affected colors and change option from "random" to "color" and link.
    Hey Jason,

It seems like the seedRandom(); function in AE returns a different value even though the seed input stays the same... You answered it for yourself! I was going to suggest you do the same. Great idea.

Sander
  • Sorry one more.  May I suggest a feature?

It would be nice to tell RDC to avoid coloring specific parameters.  I want to color the fill, but leave the Drop Shadow alone.  a few others I don't want to include also.

I've been trying to write a couple scripts to locate these parameters and apply "value" expressions (since RDC will skip over those with expressions already applied)

Thanks
    Hi Jason,

The new version of RDC will avoid coloring the color property of the shadow effect. If you don't want a property to be colored you can place a simple expression "value" into the property and it should be skipped.

Sander
  • Hi there Sander and team,

I recently got a new workstation running MacOS Catalina and AE 2020 and installed the script as per usual in the ScriptUI Panel, and no matter how many times I uninstall and re-install and double check the versions, I keep getting the following error or variations upon it:

"Unable to execute script at line 5. null is not an object."

Let me know if there's a fix or if there's any other information you may need.

Truly a quintessential script. Magnificent work by the way.

• Hi there Sander and team,

I recently got a new workstation running MacOS Catalina and AE 2020 and installed the script as per usual in the ScriptUI Panel, and no matter how many times I uninstall and re-install and double check the versions, I keep getting the following error or variations upon it:

"Unable to execute script at line 5. null is not an object."

Let me know if there's a fix or if there's any other information you may need.

Truly a quintessential script. Magnificent work by the way.

Close and undock all script and restart AE and start RDC first. If you still assistance, please open a support ticket instead and provide screenshots and as many details as possible so we are best able to assist you.
  • I love this utility, it's so nice to always have the brand colors of clients readily available and easy to get to. But why on earth does this script throw an error at the end of every render? Anyway to stop that?
  • I love this utility, it's so nice to always have the brand colors of clients readily available and easy to get to. But why on earth does this script throw an error at the end of every render? Anyway to stop that?
    Hi Timothy,

Would you be able to take a screenshot and submit a ticket? Just hit the gear icon in the script and you'll see a button that brings you to the right page. 

I wonder what error you get and if it's related to Ray.

Thanks,
    Sander
  • When is 2021 compatible version coming?
  • Great product, but two quick questions:

I created 15 shape layers to create a palate from. It did so, but when I try to use "use swatch number" to pick colors, it won't work past color 9. As soon as I hit 10 and above it just makes the layer black. 

Would be great to create a palate from a selected image instead of them having to be actual elements in AE. 

Lots of brand guides have a nice palate swatch in their PDFs. Would *love* to just have RDC sample that instead of having to recreate in AE, then get RDC to see it.

I second that!
  • Great product, but two quick questions:

I created 15 shape layers to create a palate from. It did so, but when I try to use "use swatch number" to pick colors, it won't work past color 9. As soon as I hit 10 and above it just makes the layer black. 

Would be great to create a palate from a selected image instead of them having to be actual elements in AE. 

Lots of brand guides have a nice palate swatch in their PDFs. Would *love* to just have RDC sample that instead of having to recreate in AE, then get RDC to see it.

Hi Zach,

If I understand correctly, you are clicking the swatch on the color property and changing the color there by typing a number 0-9 into the color HEX field? If so, the reason why 10 does not work is because in HEX code 10 = A 11 = B etc. Its nice that you can use 0 to 9 but for anything above that I'd select the color property and use the swatches from Ray to color. 

Hope I understood the question correctly, let me know if there is anything else I can help you with,
    Sander

• Any help would be appreciated!!
    Currently running v2.5.11 but AE crashes on launch when loading an older AE project that used Ray v2.0.10.
    Tried rolling back from current version by replacing .jsxbin file but then I get aescripts license error message.
    Tried starting up v2.0.10 with trial version after trashing prefs and project still crashes AE on launch. 
  • Any help would be appreciated!!
    Currently running v2.5.11 but AE crashes on launch when loading an older AE project that used Ray v2.0.10.
    Tried rolling back from current version by replacing .jsxbin file but then I get aescripts license error message.
    Tried starting up v2.0.10 with trial version after trashing prefs and project still crashes AE on launch. 
    Whenever a project crashes on opening it, sometimes it doesn't crash on me when I import the project into a new AE project file. Just open a new project and drag the project you want to import into the project window. 

If you still experience any problems, please open a support ticket and submit a screencast that shows the steps you are taking to cause this condition. You can record the screencast using this tool in case you don't have one already: http://www.screencast-o-matic.com/

Thanks,
    Sander

I second that!
    I'm also curious about when a 2021 compatible version is coming? Though if you could verify that the 2.5.11 (now year-old) version is still safe to use extensively in AE 2021, that's fine with me!

Also, because 2021 isn't in the compatibility, the new aescripts installation manager won't allow you to install it in the latest app (only AE 2020 is listed).

• Joe A. said:

When is 2021 compatible version coming?
    I second that!
    I'm also curious about when a 2021 compatible version is coming? Though if you could verify that the 2.5.11 (now year-old) version is still safe to use extensively in AE 2021, that's fine with me!

Also, because 2021 isn't in the compatibility, the new aescripts installation manager won't allow you to install it in the latest app (only AE 2020 is listed).

Hey All, 

I'm using RDC in AE2021 on a mac and its working for me. Going to check with the developer now and will update the compatibility list. If you do run into issues you can submit a ticket and we'll be able to help you or get your money back if you happen to purchase it and its not working properly.

Cheers,
    Sander
  • Joe A. said:

When is 2021 compatible version coming?
    I second that!

Hey All, 

I'm using RDC in AE2021 on a mac and its working for me. Going to check with the developer now and will update the compatibility list. If you do run into issues you can submit a ticket and we'll be able to help you or get your money back if you happen to purchase it and its not working properly.

Cheers,
    Sander
    Thanks for the response! Will do.
  • I'd love to see the functionality in this to enable / disable fills and strokes from the Ray pallete window.
  • I'm finding it frustrating linking to colors in the Ray palette from the Effect Controls panel.
    Is there a way to eyedrop the Ray palette and simultaneously link, or do I have to reveal the effect color property in the timeline each time to link to the Ray colors?
    Thx.
  • I'm finding it frustrating linking to colors in the Ray palette from the Effect Controls panel.
    Is there a way to eyedrop the Ray palette and simultaneously link, or do I have to reveal the effect color property in the timeline each time to link to the Ray colors?
    Thx.
    Hi Edward, 

When you color a selected layer by pressing the swatch in the palette, a link is automatically created between the selected object and the swatch in the Ray palette Effect Controls panel. No need to manually link it. Just make sure the checkbox "Turn off Expression Link" is off. (otherwise no link is created)

The eyedropper can sometimes result in inaccurate colors and there is not good support to control it via a script.

Let me know if that worked for you.
    Sander
  • I'd love to see the functionality in this to enable / disable fills and strokes from the Ray pallete window.
    Hi Edward, 

You can color fills and strokes separately by toggling the square inside a square looking button. Turning off strokes and fills can be done quickly by holding Option/Alt and clicking on the Colored square in the top tool bar of After Effects. This cycles through the modes for fill and stroke and off is one of those modes.

To quickly reveal stroke and fill, you can also click a layer. Then press Command+F/Ctrl+F to search the layer. When you search for "Color" Both stroke and Fill show up. From there its easy to color one of them or delete/turn off one of them as well.

Hope that helps,
    Sander
  • As far as I can tell, there isn't a way to export/import RDC palettes. The intriguing 'Folder' button just seems to open the plug-in's files. Would it be hard to implement a simple export/import of a colour palette?
  • As far as I can tell, there isn't a way to export/import RDC palettes. The intriguing 'Folder' button just seems to open the plug-in's files. Would it be hard to implement a simple export/import of a colour palette?
    Paul, Thanks for your suggestion and this has been on my mind for sure when creating the tool. 

"Would it be hard to implement?" Yes, it would be. In a program like AE with the limited tools available. We'd also have to come up with a way this should work and make it intuitive for everyone to use and remember how to use. Maybe even a file format to store colors. 

The complexity of this is simply defeated by the ability to just 1.) Save a duplicate copy of the project in a global asset folder somewhere. 2.) Reduce the project to the color palettes you'd like to "export". 3.) Use the AE project as the exported file and import that AE project into other projects. 

All this works with the familiar way people use AE. 

You can also use a plugin like overlord to send the colors from AE to AI and then import them into another AE project by sending them back.

Hope that helps give you some options.

Sander
  • The complexity of this is simply defeated by the ability to just 1.) Save a duplicate copy of the project in a global asset folder somewhere. 2.) Reduce the project to the color palettes you'd like to "export". 3.) Use the AE project as the exported file and import that AE project into other projects. 
    That's exactly how I've been working so far - and I will continue to do so!
    ~ Paul
  • Awesome plugin. I like the idea that you can quickly change individual color for stroke and fill. Is there a button which also can disable the fill or the stroke? Also what do you think about a way to color things like HSB in illustrator where you drag some sliders and see your shape color instantly instead of hitting ok every time? Is something like that even possible in AE? I really love to change colors in Illustrator but this process is really frustrating in AE
  • Awesome plugin. I like the idea that you can quickly change individual color for stroke and fill. Is there a button which also can disable the fill or the stroke? Also what do you think about a way to color things like HSB in illustrator where you drag some sliders and see your shape color instantly instead of hitting ok every time? Is something like that even possible in AE? I really love to change colors in Illustrator but this process is really frustrating in AE
    You can already disable the stroke and fill if you Option/Alt click on the Fill and Stroke at the top of the program in the toolbar. Just keep clicking and it will cycle through the options.

I don't think the HSB sliders are possible in the script. I'd lockdown most colors in illustrator before moving on to AE. You can also import AI files into AE and then animate those. You can keep changing the Illustrator file and when you save, the file will update in AE.

Sander

• I love Ray Color except for one little bug that is very annonying.
    When I use the eyedropper from a "Solid Settings" panel that is already created, the colors from my palette disappear as soon as I try to move the eyedropper closer to the palette.
    It's not happening when I create a solid, in this case I can use the eyedropper properly. But as soon as the solid is created, when I want to change its color with the Solid settings panel, it gets impossible to do. The same thing is happening with the "Composition settings" panel.
    I run the latest osx with the latest after effects on a macbook pro m1 max.
    But this was happening also with an old imac from 2014.
    When I use the eyedropper from a "Solid Settings" panel that is already created, the colors from my palette disappear as soon as I try to move the eyedropper closer to the palette.
    It's not happening when I create a solid, in this case I can use the eyedropper properly. But as soon as the solid is created, when I want to change its color with the Solid settings panel, it gets impossible to do. The same thing is happening with the "Composition settings" panel.
    To my understanding The colors disappearing is a bug in AE that unfortunately hasn't been fixed.

Solution1:
    Once your solid is created you can used the color buttons to color the solid layer. This will apply a Fill Effect to the solid layer that overwrites the color of the solid layer. The reason this works is that the Fill Effect has a color property and the Solid layer doesn't

Solution2:
    Shape-layers have 99% of the same functionality as a solid layer and can do more on top of that.You can read about it here on this article I wrote: http://www.sandervandijk.tv/after-effects-features/shape-mask-solid-layer
    You can create a shape layer with comp size by double clicking the square icon in the toolbar. It's a bit of a habit change but once you get used to it it's great. At the end of the project you'd rather have everything setup with shape layers vs solids.

Sander

To my understanding The colors disappearing is a bug in AE that unfortunately hasn't been fixed.

Solution1:
    Once your solid is created you can used the color buttons to color the solid layer. This will apply a Fill Effect to the solid layer that overwrites the color of the solid layer. The reason this works is that the Fill Effect has a color property and the Solid layer doesn't

Solution2:
    Shape-layers have 99% of the same functionality as a solid layer and can do more on top of that.You can read about it here on this article I wrote: http://www.sandervandijk.tv/after-effects-features/shape-mask-solid-layer
    You can create a shape layer with comp size by double clicking the square icon in the toolbar. It's a bit of a habit change but once you get used to it it's great. At the end of the project you'd rather have everything setup with shape layers vs solids.

Sander

Thank you very much for your answer. It may be the beginning of me using shape layers for anything :)
  • Hi Sander,

is there a way to tell RDC not to override colors of effects?
    I have loads of shapes with Bevel and Drop Shadow Effects on.
    When I click on the layer and then apply RDC colors, it changes the shape, shadow and bevel colors.
    And I just want to link the shapes themselves.

A button to include/exclude effects would be sweet here.
    I have an insane amount of layer, which is a tedious process now.

Or is it already possible somehow?

Thanks and regards!
  • Hi Sander,

is there a way to tell RDC not to override colors of effects?
    I have loads of shapes with Bevel and Drop Shadow Effects on.
    When I click on the layer and then apply RDC colors, it changes the shape, shadow and bevel colors.
    And I just want to link the shapes themselves.

A button to include/exclude effects would be sweet here.
    I have an insane amount of layer, which is a tedious process now.

Or is it already possible somehow?

Thanks and regards!
    Hi Jan,

RDC will go after any color control property. I've excluded effects like drop shadows but it looks like you're using a lot more.

One way you can have RDC ignore color properties is to apply an expression to it. If you apply a simple expression like "value" you can still change the color property but RDC will leave it alone.

Another option would be to target the color more directly with a search. Just select your layers and search for color. Then select the color properties you want to color.

Sander
  • Hey, Sander! I hope this message finds you well. I was wondering if it would be possible to add an option to use a keyboard modifier to apply a color to a stroke or a fill? Cycling through the button can be a little repetitive on a large project.

Also, looking through the comments I see you mention that RDC should exclude colors on effects like drop shadow, but RDC always changes drop shadow color. I don't see effect exclusion in the version history. Should RDC skip drop shadow color in version 2.5.11?

Thanks!
  • Hi! Nice Plug-In that I use every day. The only thing that is frustrating is that the colors from the RDC panel disapear when you use the color picker tool, therefore it's no use for creating gradients. I often create multiple objects on the side just so I can pick the colors up from them to create my gradients. Picking on the RDC panel would be much more simple... otherwise great tool!
  • Hi! Nice Plug-In that I use every day. The only thing that is frustrating is that the colors from the RDC panel disapear when you use the color picker tool, therefore it's no use for creating gradients. I often create multiple objects on the side just so I can pick the colors up from them to create my gradients. Picking on the RDC panel would be much more simple... otherwise great tool!

This is an Adobe bug. Please make sure you are using the latest version of After Effects.
  • I recently bought Ray and so far I was very happy. I am using it in a new project and now I get the following error message, only in this project:

zero denominator converting ratio addition

The googler results have suggested that it is an error that occurs with some bad footage, so I've deleted all the assets used. There is nothing left in the project except shape layers and the expressions of your plugin, but the error still pops up. Now I suspect that it is caused by the plugin. Do you have any idea?
    Your help is much appreciated!
    2022-08-12 20_16_14-After Effects.png
    550 x 180 - 4K
  • I recently bought Ray and so far I was very happy. I am using it in a new project and now I get the following error message, only in this project:

zero denominator converting ratio addition

The googler results have suggested that it is an error that occurs with some bad footage, so I've deleted all the assets used. There is nothing left in the project except shape layers and the expressions of your plugin, but the error still pops up. Now I suspect that it is caused by the plugin. Do you have any idea?
    Your help is much appreciated!
    A project can be corrupted for many reasons but RDC should not have anything to do with that. Can you try a new project and add RDC to see if you get the error? If you need any additional assistance with RDC specifically please open a support ticket
  • Hi, I have no knowledge on coding, or pluggin development, but I have a question about Ray Dynamic Color and Texture.
    I am not sure if those tools run more like a script or like a pluggin (app "extension"), so my question is if when it runs on a M1 Mac, it runs "natively" or not.
    If it was a script without UI, I guess it would run "natively", but not sure in that case.
    Thanks!!!
  • Hi, I have no knowledge on coding, or pluggin development, but I have a question about Ray Dynamic Color and Texture.
    I am not sure if those tools run more like a script or like a pluggin (app "extension"), so my question is if when it runs on a M1 Mac, it runs "natively" or not.
    If it was a script without UI, I guess it would run "natively", but not sure in that case.
    Thanks!!!
    They run natively on M1
    Thanks!!!
    They run natively on M1
    Thanks again!!!!
  • In the script window and in the Expressions folder, there is no Offset. Where can I find it?
  • RDC2 doesn't appear to be loading in AE 2023.
    Please make sure it is installed correctly. Use the aescripts + aeplugins manager app to install it: https://aescripts.com/learn/aescripts-aeplugins-manager-app/

If you need further assistance please open a support ticket: https://aescripts.com/contact/?product_id=914
    Please make sure it is installed correctly. Use the aescripts + aeplugins manager app to install it: https://aescripts.com/learn/aescripts-aeplugins-manager-app/

If you need further assistance please open a support ticket: https://aescripts.com/contact/?product_id=914
    I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software (AE 2023 and RDC2 via the aescripts + aeplugins manager app) with no luck. I will open a support ticket.
  • aescripts + aeplugins is regenerating the Scripts directory for 2022 and After Effects 2023 doesn't see it, but aescripts + aeplugins thinks it's installed. If you manually move the scripts over, it will work. RDC2 is not the only plugin aescripts + aeplugins does this with.
  • I’ve been using this script for years with great results. However I have trouble sharing projects with other artists that don’t have it. In several cases I have to collect a project for the studio and then sometime later another artist has to access it. Is there a way to bake all the RDC color expressions in a comp easily?
  • I’ve been using this script for years with great results. However I have trouble sharing projects with other artists that don’t have it. In several cases I have to collect a project for the studio and then sometime later another artist has to access it. Is there a way to bake all the RDC color expressions in a comp easily?
    Yes, you can unlink the colors at any time. This way the expression in the color property that Ray places there to link the color property to the palette will be gone and the color will be baked in. 

Select a bunch of layers or all your comps in the project window and then press the unlink button.
    This video also shares how you can link the colors back up if you need to change them.

Let me know if you have any other questions,
    Sander
  • Select a bunch of layers or all your comps in the project window and then press the unlink button.
    I think the feature I am hoping for is a one button action that would bake all RDC expressions through the entire project. When I'm doing a heavy project I can have many RDC indexed colors buried in multiple pre-comps throughout the project. I'd like an efficient way to bake all of them in a single step without having to seek them all out manually.
    Paul, I just saw your comment and I know this is a couple years old, but you should check out another script called "Save Comp As Project." It allows you to select specific comps in the Project panel and easily export them as their own project. It basically automates the process of reducing, saving, then reopening the original project. The script is a bit pricey for what it does, but if all you want to do is share RDC palettes, the free demo version would be able to handle that. Select the RDC comp and hit the 'Save As Project' button it will save it out.
  • Shortcut to remove swatches (shift+alt+klick) is not working for me. Any ideas why that could be?