• Hi,

the source will automatically follow the orientation of the path. You can also turn your source 90°, 180°, or 270° to fit your needs. You'll find this option in the 'Source' parameters.

Cheers,
    François
  • Hi.
    I'm having an issue where the whole file becomes unusable due to a GPU error if I use both Boa and Layer Sculpture in the same project.
    The file only recovers after deleting the layers + closing and opening After Effects again, nothing else seems to work.

I've replicated the issue in two different computers, both running the latest version of After Effects and both with different Nvidia cards.
  • Hi.
    I'm having an issue where the whole file becomes unusable due to a GPU error if I use both Boa and Layer Sculpture in the same project.
    The file only recovers after deleting the layers + closing and opening After Effects again, nothing else seems to work.

I've replicated the issue in two different computers, both running the latest version of After Effects and both with different Nvidia cards.
    Hi,

can you open a support ticket and send me your project? I'll have a look on my side and try to fix it.

Cheers,
    François
  • I'm also trying to use Boa in AE 2020 and not having any luck getting any texture to show up whether built in AE or imported. I'm creating a comp, adding a solid, drawing an open mask on that, then adding Boa and choosing a texture (also in that comp) along with the mask - but nothing seems to happen.  Have tried restarting after effects but still no luck.
  • Hey,

I've just purchased the plugin, installed it and still getting the pixellated X like in the trial version, how to get rid of it? :(

Thanks 

Petra
  • Did I hear Misirlou there?
  • Did I hear Misirlou there?
    Yep :-)
  • For the record: I noticed with my HD project boa only shows up when viewed at full resolution. Setting the comp at 50% and half res will not work, whereas 50% size at full quality does.
  • Hey, I'm currently testing the plugin in AE windows, it is awesome but it looks like it doesn't support the 32 bit mode, is it correct?

• Hey, I'm currently testing the plugin in AE windows, it is awesome but it looks like it doesn't support the 32 bit mode, is it correct?

Hi,
    Boa's color precision is limited to 16bits, but you can use it in 32bits projects.
    Hope you'll like it :-)
    Cheers,
    François
  •  I have downloaded a trial and created a dot, select it a source but it does not attach itself to the boa layer. Ultimately I need a noptical flare to travel in z space from far away to foreground in an arch. Can boa do this?
  • Wes Wait said:
     I have downloaded a trial and created a dot, select it a source but it does not attach itself to the boa layer. Ultimately I need a noptical flare to travel in z space from far away to foreground in an arch. Can boa do this?
    Hi,
    in order to make it work, Boa needs a mask too, not only a source.
    Otherwise, from what I understand, what you want to do should work.
    But if it's a simple flare / dot, why don't you simply move the  layer in 3D space without any plugin?
    Anyway, the best way to know is to try :-)

Cheers,
    François
  • Thanks for the response. I will give it a try, just a novice in after effects and thought I would have better control with a path. Did I miss something in your tutorial about incorporating a mask in the process? I rewatch it to see where I missed it.
  • Wes Wait said:
    Did I miss something in your tutorial about incorporating a mask in the process?
    You can have a look at the Walkthrough tutorial. The mask is selected at sec 42.
  • Hey there,

When I create a mask and assign it in the mask parameters and then I assign a source parameter, it does not actually follow the mask that I drew on the BOA layer. It's moving off to the side on what looks like it's own path that wasn't drawn or assigned to it. When I alter the start point on the BOA layer, the Source just moves around NO WHERE near the path I drew. 

• Hey there,

When I create a mask and assign it in the mask parameters and then I assign a source parameter, it does not actually follow the mask that I drew on the BOA layer. It's moving off to the side on what looks like it's own path that wasn't drawn or assigned to it. When I alter the start point on the BOA layer, the Source just moves around NO WHERE near the path I drew. 

Hi,

if you experience an offset, it's probably because the layer you're applying Boa to and/or the one you use as a source is rasterized. Make sure it isn't, and if you're using vector layers (shape or text), please precompose them before. This way, no bad surprise :-)

Cheers,
    François
  • Hello
    I bought bao boa and downloaded it. However, when I used this, the X mark appears in the center of the screen. How can I solve this problem? Please reply as soon as possible.
  • Hello
    I bought bao boa and downloaded it. However, when I used this, the X mark appears in the center of the screen. How can I solve this problem? Please reply as soon as possible.
    Hi,

the registration must have failed. Please open a support ticket so we can guide you and solve the problem.

Cheers,
    François
  • Hi Bao People

First up
    , using Boa and Bones for the first time on task and really loving them both - so thank you!

One question on Boa - is there a way to repeat the source layer e.g. draw one unit of DNA chain and ask Boa to repeat it to fill the path.

Thanks your help,

James

• Hi Bao People

First up, using Boa and Bones for the first time on task and really loving them both - so thank you!
    One question on Boa - is there a way to repeat the source layer e.g. draw one unit of DNA chain and ask Boa to repeat it to fill the path.

Thanks your help,

James

Hi,

glad you like them :-)
    About Boa, there is no direct way to do what you describe, but if you use a precomp as source layer, you can easily duplicate your DNA element inside it. There are some native effects that can help you duplicate and arrange it, with a mirror effect or not, etc...

Hope it helps!
    François
  • I have a solid of 8000px/8000px with a spline that is driving a vector arrow.
    It works fine with an older plugin from 2018, when upgrading to new I get the object undefined 11 error!

• I have a solid of 8000px/8000px with a spline that is driving a vector arrow.
    It works fine with an older plugin from 2018, when upgrading to new I get the object undefined 11 error!

Hi,

some parameters have been added to newer versions of the plugin. The error message is probably because some data was cached with the older version and doesn't fit the new one. But if you save and reopen AE, it should disappear. If the message persists, please open a support ticket and we'll try to fix it.

Cheers,
    François
  • Hi François,

can you tell me if the BAO boa plugin works with lottie files?
    I'd like to export my path animation to lottie json.
    Within the Test-Version it does not seem to work.

Thanks for your Help!

Best,
    Raoul
  • Hi,

Boa works through frame rendering, so it won't work with lottie files.
    Sorry...

Cheers,
    François
  • HI, every time I try to select the mask in the mask parameter I get the error

"Unable to execute script at line 11. undefined is not an object".

Is there anyway to fix this? I am on Windows 10 and using 2021 version. Please help!!
  • Matt Jack said:
    HI, every time I try to select the mask in the mask parameter I get the error

"Unable to execute script at line 11. undefined is not an object".

Is there anyway to fix this? I am on Windows 10 and using 2021 version. Please help!!

Hi,

some parameters have been added to newer versions of the plugin. The error message is probably because some data was cached with the older version and doesn't fit the new one. But if you save and reopen AE, it should disappear. If the message persists, please open a support ticket and we'll try to fix it.

Cheers,
    François
  • Hi! Having a problem where a noisy X appears over files that a previous animator used boa to animate. Is there any way to fix this?  
  • Tomas Vallecillo said:
    Hi! Having a problem where a noisy X appears over files that a previous animator used boa to animate. Is there any way to fix this?  
    Hi, this is a registration issue. You have to enter your registration code. If you have an issue with it, please open a support ticket, we'll guide you through the process.
  • hi. i would like to use this effect on some text, but when i convert text to masks, each layer becomes a separate mask... it would be cool to have a checkbox for "all masks" like the stroke plugin. any suggestions?
  • hi. i would like to use this effect on some text, but when i convert text to masks, each layer becomes a separate mask... it would be cool to have a checkbox for "all masks" like the stroke plugin. any suggestions?
    Hi,

this is something I thought about, but the plugin was getting too complicated... at least if we wanted to keep control.
    So, in my opinion, the easiest way to work with multiple masks is to have one Boa per mask, and link the parameters via expressions. This way, you can link only the params you need , and keep 'local' control on others.

Hope it helps,
    François
  • Hi,

I have a license for this, but when I use it, there is a colorful noisy X through the layer with the mask on it. how do I get rid of it? It renders with it too.

Thanks,
    Carolina
  • For people getting the big noisy X:

Put the effect on a layer, then click "Register" in the effect controls window and enter your license code there.
  • This is super helpful!  I would like to ask you how you would recommend scaling?  I'm using an Illustrator file for the source for Boa, and the best solution I found was to link the "scale at mask start" and "scale at mask end" to the scale for the solid that the Boa effect is applied to.  For significant zooming in, it appears pretty good, but not as good as if I were able to somehow use the collapse transformations/continually rasterize.
    Thanks again for this great product!
    Jesse
    Hi Jesse,

Glad you like it!
    Unfortunately, rasterizing is not available with layer parameters (for any effect, not only Boa). This is due to the way AE sends the layer data to the effects...
    So, your method is a good 'workaround', but as you noticed it has limits.
    The most accurate is to precomp your source layer where it gets the highest used scale, this way you'll have the best precision. But of course, it means you have to work with big precomps and it will probably slow things down...
    Sorry, no 'perfect' way to do it.

Cheers,
    François
    Can you please describe more with more details?
    The most accurate is to precomp your source layer where it gets the highest used scale, this way you'll have the best precision. But of course, it means you have to work with big precomps and it will probably slow things down
    Can you please describe more with more details?
    Hi,

the aim here is to avoid losing definition.
    When you precomp your source layer, you give your layer a size, the size of the precomp. You can think of it as a footage, like if you pre-render the precomp and use the pre-render instead.
    So, if your precomp's size is 1000x1000, you will get definition loss if the image processed by Boa exceeds 1000x1000.

Hope it helps,
    François
  • Hi,

I have a license for this, but when I use it, there is a colorful noisy X through the layer with the mask on it. how do I get rid of it? It renders with it too.

Thanks,
    Carolina

https://aescripts.com/knowledgebase/index/view/faq/how-to-register-plugins/ 
  • Will there be an M1-compatible version of this plugin soon? (mac)
  • Will there be an M1-compatible version of this plugin soon? (mac)
    Hi!

I'm on it, it should be released soon.

Cheers,
    François
  • Hi, I bought the plugin recently and am loving it but just encountered an issue.  The shot I'm working on currently has 17 layers with the Boa effect on it.  But when I put it on the 18th layer and choose a mask, all of the Boa effect disappear from the viewport.  Can you think of any reason why this might be?
    I've 128gbs RAM and an A5000 with 25gb of VRAM and am not currently hitting 50% on either of those so don't think it's a memory issue.

I'm really up against it with a client delivery so if you've any solutions it would be amazing to hear!

Thanks!
  • Hi, I bought the plugin recently and am loving it but just encountered an issue.  The shot I'm working on currently has 17 layers with the Boa effect on it.  But when I put it on the 18th layer and choose a mask, all of the Boa effect disappear from the viewport.  Can you think of any reason why this might be?
    I've 128gbs RAM and an A5000 with 25gb of VRAM and am not currently hitting 50% on either of those so don't think it's a memory issue.

I'm really up against it with a client delivery so if you've any solutions it would be amazing to hear!

Thanks!
    Hi,

there is no limit to the number of instances, so I would say you probably hit one limit of your GPU (number of textures, size of the textures, memory...).
    There are several workarounds you can try. The easiest, if you can, is to prerender some of the layers. This way, AE won't have to compute them all at the same time.
    Another way is to precompose them by batch ( precomps of  layers, for example).
    This way, AE will compute one comp after the other, and hopefully unload some memory in between.
    Also, make sure you disable the MultiFrame Rendering. AE can send several renders at the same time if several cores are free, but as they will all rely on the GPU, it can ask too much...

I hope it will fix it for now. If you still hit the issue, and when you have more time, you can open a support ticket and send me your project, I'll have a look on my side, see if I see the same issue.

Cheers,
    François
  • Hello, 
    See picture. 

I purchased Boa back in 2017 and really enjoy it. I'm using the latest version (BOA_v1.4.10). However, today it gave me a warning: "This effect may slow down Preview and Export as it is not optimized for Multi-Frame Rendering." And there's a little yellow triangle on the Boa later in Effect Controls. 

Additionally, instead of fitting in line, the art work doesn't follow the line. 

Help! I need this to work ASAP for a client project. 

• Hi,

I was trying the trial version thinking this was what I needed for a project I'm on.
    I couldn't discover it myself, but is there a way to orient and position the 3D mesh in a comp/scene that's independent of the camera?
    Basically I want to layout the meshes in the position that I need and then have the option of animating the camera for the whole scene. 
    From my limited time tinkering with the plugin, it seems like it does not currently have this capability? 
  • Kim Tran said:
    Hi,

I was trying the trial version thinking this was what I needed for a project I'm on.
    I couldn't discover it myself, but is there a way to orient and position the 3D mesh in a comp/scene that's independent of the camera?
    Basically I want to layout the meshes in the position that I need and then have the option of animating the camera for the whole scene. 
    From my limited time tinkering with the plugin, it seems like it does not currently have this capability? 
    Hi,

I'm not 100% sure I understand what you want to achieve.
    Boa can work in 2D mode or 3D mode. In 3D mode, it will recognize the comp camera.
    If you mean you want to have a specific camera that affect only Boa, then there's no direct way to do so. The easiest thing to do is to precompose Boa with a camera, adjust it, and then use this precomp in another comp as a simple layer.

Hope it helps :-)
    François
  • Hi,

Basically I'm trying to compose a scene with various 3d layers and have a single camera moves through the scene for parallax. I understand that the BOA mesh is technically a 2D element, but I was wondering if there was a function to position the mesh within my scene the way I want. For example, I have a ribbon texture and I use BOA to run it on a path, I can set it to "3D" and then move my camera to position the ribbon to be coming towards the screen. But in doing so, where my ribbon is position is dictated by the position of the camera. If I want a second ribbon in a different "3D" postion, I can't create it in the same comp with the same camera. Thus I can't control the movement in the scene with a single camera. Basically, I was wondering if it's possible to position the BOA mesh element without using the camera, much like how Element 3D allows you controls to position it's elements.
  • Kim Tran said:
    Hi,

Basically I'm trying to compose a scene with various 3d layers and have a single camera moves through the scene for parallax. I understand that the BOA mesh is technically a 2D element, but I was wondering if there was a function to position the mesh within my scene the way I want. For example, I have a ribbon texture and I use BOA to run it on a path, I can set it to "3D" and then move my camera to position the ribbon to be coming towards the screen. But in doing so, where my ribbon is position is dictated by the position of the camera. If I want a second ribbon in a different "3D" postion, I can't create it in the same comp with the same camera. Thus I can't control the movement in the scene with a single camera. Basically, I was wondering if it's possible to position the BOA mesh element without using the camera, much like how Element 3D allows you controls to position it's elements.
    Hi again,

you're right, you can't move the ribbon directly in position, but you can displace the mask itself on your layer, which moves the ribbon in X and Y, and animate the Z value of each vertex.
    You won't be able to rotate the ribbon in 3D, though.

If you're using a recent version of AE, you can modify your mask via expression, and then give it 3D coordinates (of course you can also use Mask Avenger).

These are workarounds, though. Boa 3D features are not as developped as Element 3D or other 3D apps.
    But I'll keep it in mind and see if I can add it in a future update.

Cheers,
    François
  • Kim Tran said:
    Hi,

Hi again,

you're right, you can't move the ribbon directly in position, but you can displace the mask itself on your layer, which moves the ribbon in X and Y, and animate the Z value of each vertex.
    You won't be able to rotate the ribbon in 3D, though.

If you're using a recent version of AE, you can modify your mask via expression, and then give it 3D coordinates (of course you can also use Mask Avenger).

These are workarounds, though. Boa 3D features are not as developped as Element 3D or other 3D apps.
    But I'll keep it in mind and see if I can add it in a future update.

Cheers,
    François
    Thanks for the replies. Yeah, if this could be developed, it would double the value of this plugin for a user like me. You have no idea how often I need an application to function like this. Ribbons flying around a scene, paint brush strokes, wires, etc...so many needs :). Hope it can come to fruition.
  • [K| |T] said:
    Thanks for the replies. Yeah, if this could be developed, it would double the value of this plugin for a user like me. You have no idea how often I need an application to function like this. Ribbons flying around a scene, paint brush strokes, wires, etc...so many needs :). Hope it can come to fruition.
    Hi again,

would you like to beta test the 3D features ? If you do, please open a support ticket and I'll send you a WIP version.

Cheers,
    François
  • Hi,
    I want to create the effect of battle ropes being used and need to somehow create a sine wave using the mask. Do you know of anyway to do this? I've tried using wave warp but it squashes the source image in a way that is unexceptable. I think Boa would do a great job if only I could get the sine wave working. Any advice gladly welcome.
    Thanks 
  • [K| |T] said:
    Hi again,

would you like to beta test the 3D features ? If you do, please open a support ticket and I'll send you a WIP version.

Cheers,
    François
    Hi,
    Sorry for the late response, been in deadline hell.
    Sure, I'd like to help check out the 3d tools. Glad you're developing them!

-KT
  • Hi,
    I want to create the effect of battle ropes being used and need to somehow create a sine wave using the mask. Do you know of anyway to do this? I've tried using wave warp but it squashes the source image in a way that is unexceptable. I think Boa would do a great job if only I could get the sine wave working. Any advice gladly welcome.
    Thanks 
    Hi,

you can watch this very good example by Matt Jedrzejewski: https://aescripts.com/learn/how-to-fake-2-5d-in-after-effects/
    The mask stays still on the layer, and it is the layer that is moving, with Boa following the movement. Smart !

Hope it helps,
    François
  • Very nice plugin! With lots of features