Composite Brush
  • Huge fan of this plug-in!

Any rough estimate as to when this might be updated to support multi frame rendering in the latest After Effects 2022?
  • Any plans to support Multi Frame Render?
  • I think we'll squeeze it in within the next few weeks, sorry for the delay!

Huge fan of this plug-in!

Any rough estimate as to when this might be updated to support multi frame rendering in the latest After Effects 2022?

Dad Fal said:
    Any plans to support Multi Frame Render?

Dad Fal said:

Fantastic! Thank you!

Dad Fal said:

Cool!
  • This is probably one of the most impressive keying solutions that I've ever fallen across, regardless of compositing application. Simply put, composite brush can make short work of keys that you previously thought were unworkable. The job it does on keys that you thought were good to begin with will have you questioning your prior work and wanting to re-do it all with this--- It's honestly stunning. Baffling might be a better word.

The selections that this plugin is able to make challenges my perceptions of what I previously thought were just limitations of the medium. You can stack this thing again and again non-destructively to refine a key almost as much as your heart desires. 

It's also important to understand that this isn't just for green screen. It operates ***very*** much like the qualifier in DaVinci Resolve, but possibly with a greater ability to refine the matte. You can use it for almost anything from color correction to skin blemish removal, to pulling unbelievable hair keys from frankly--- garbo footage. 

I know this dude already changed the game with the mesh distortion tracker plugin that everyone is tripping over their dicks to copy, but this is quietly the most powerful addition to my toolkit in years. 

The only, only knocks I have against it are two:

1. No multi-frame (but it's coming in a couple days?)
    2. It can be fussy when "active" and moving around the AE GUI. I think it probably needs an "arm selection tool" option to prevent accidental keying.

Seriously game changing stuff. It needs an ad campaign and a big, sexy graphic design overhaul on its home page so that people can understand that this isn't just a random script, but a huge evolution for pulling keys and making color selections in AE. Honestly. Ditch Keylight. Kick Primatte out of bed because she nasty. CB is here.

This plugin terrifies me. It's so good that I feel like there's only a matter of time before this developer and his projects get picked up by MAXON or someone and we have to subscribe for the cost of our next born. It gives me anxiety thinking that something *this* effectively is available for less than $100. I wake up at 3AM and I have to check to make sure BORISFX didn't come and snap them up, never to be seen again. 

But--- against all odds, here it is. Composite Brush. The finest keying solution there is, and you can wield it like a color selecting Mjolnir-- you don't even have to be worthy. You can suck at your job and pull better keys than in Marvel films. 
  • This is probably one of the most impressive keying solutions that I've ever fallen across, regardless of compositing application. Simply put, composite brush can make short work of keys that you previously thought were unworkable. The job it does on keys that you thought were good to begin with will have you questioning your prior work and wanting to re-do it all with this--- It's honestly stunning. Baffling might be a better word.

The selections that this plugin is able to make challenges my perceptions of what I previously thought were just limitations of the medium. You can stack this thing again and again non-destructively to refine a key almost as much as your heart desires. 

It's also important to understand that this isn't just for green screen. It operates ***very*** much like the qualifier in DaVinci Resolve, but possibly with a greater ability to refine the matte. You can use it for almost anything from color correction to skin blemish removal, to pulling unbelievable hair keys from frankly--- garbo footage. 

I know this dude already changed the game with the mesh distortion tracker plugin that everyone is tripping over their dicks to copy, but this is quietly the most powerful addition to my toolkit in years. 

The only, only knocks I have against it are two:

1. No multi-frame (but it's coming in a couple days?)
    2. It can be fussy when "active" and moving around the AE GUI. I think it probably needs an "arm selection tool" option to prevent accidental keying.

Seriously game changing stuff. It needs an ad campaign and a big, sexy graphic design overhaul on its home page so that people can understand that this isn't just a random script, but a huge evolution for pulling keys and making color selections in AE. Honestly. Ditch Keylight. Kick Primatte out of bed because she nasty. CB is here.

This plugin terrifies me. It's so good that I feel like there's only a matter of time before this developer and his projects get picked up by MAXON or someone and we have to subscribe for the cost of our next born. It gives me anxiety thinking that something *this* effectively is available for less than $100. I wake up at 3AM and I have to check to make sure BORISFX didn't come and snap them up, never to be seen again. 

But--- against all odds, here it is. Composite Brush. The finest keying solution there is, and you can wield it like a color selecting Mjolnir-- you don't even have to be worthy. You can suck at your job and pull better keys than in Marvel films. 

Plugin was working perfectly in AE2021, but since I've updated to 2022 it seems to be freezing up on me. I can apply the effect, but when I make adjustments it completely freezes AE. I have to force quit and restart. Any idea of what might be going on?

Thanks! Love the plugin.

MAC (Big Sur), AE 2022 (0.1 - Build 2)
    We're releasing a patch tomorrow that should hopefully make things play more nicely with Ae 2022! Multiframe included. Also, if you're lagging and having issues, I believe speculative rendering is causing some of these problems. I'd suggest going to "Composition/Preview and shut off Cache Frame When Idle. This is responsible for a lot of the slowdown, because we haven't found a good way to keep it disabled while working with the plugin. You might notice slowdown in Ae 2022 that you hadn't in 2021, depending on composition complexity. We are investigating this and trying to fit the same solution to all of our plugins. Thank you for your patience!

Cheers,
    Chris
    Composite Brush Creator
  • I feel like there's only a matter of time before this developer and his projects get picked up by MAXON or someone and we have to subscribe for the cost of our next born.
    DUDE! Please no... Maxon ruin everything they touch.
  • Any chance of an M1 Native build?
    Not for a little while, and sorry to say I can't give a great estimate on when we'll get to it. I hate giving vague non-helpful answers, but we have a few burning issues to take care of between all of our plugins first before we circle back to that.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Not for a little while, and sorry to say I can't give a great estimate on when we'll get to it. I hate giving vague non-helpful answers, but we have a few burning issues to take care of between all of our plugins first before we circle back to that.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Thanks for the honest answer, Chris! I appreciate it! Composite Brush has become a go-to everyday tool for me so i'm hoping to see a native version at some point. Keep us posted!
  • Hello. This is awesome but the render times are outrageous compared to keylight and spill suppressor. Am I doing something wrong?
  • hello, i've just buy a licence but i don't see "vranos" in the effects tool. it's teh same when i'm looking for "composite brush in the pannel effects. I'm in the lastest version of after effects (macbook pro M1). Can you help me please? thanks a lot!!
  • hello, i've just buy a licence but i don't see "vranos" in the effects tool. it's teh same when i'm looking for "composite brush in the pannel effects. I'm in the lastest version of after effects (macbook pro M1). Can you help me please? thanks a lot!!
    You have to go into rosetta mode for this to work on M1 for now. :( Hopefully soon they will port it over.
    You have to go into rosetta mode for this to work on M1 for now. :( Hopefully soon they will port it over.
    How can I open AE in Rosetta mode? I've the latest version of AE for apple M1. Thanks

hello, i've just buy a licence but i don't see "vranos" in the effects tool. it's teh same when i'm looking for "composite brush in the pannel effects. I'm in the lastest version of after effects (macbook pro M1). Can you help me please? thanks a lot!!
    Hey, sorry but we have found a bug that could cause this. We are working on it now. You can expect an update within a few weeks, sorry for the delay!

Cheers,
    Chris
    Composite Brush Creator
  • Hi,

You said this would have multiThread compatibility already updated? I'm still getting conflict warnings. Did you update the plugin to work with after effects multithread rendering? It works great and it's been super helpful but the bottle necking is an issue.
  • Hi,

You said this would have multiThread compatibility already updated? I'm still getting conflict warnings. Did you not update the plugin to work with after effects multithread rendering?
    We just updated the plugin to work with M1. Ae Multithreading is proving to be more difficult because this is a relatively old plugin that was built before Ae multithreading was a thing. We don't have a timeline for when this is expected. Our plugin actually does use our own version of multithreading, it's not purely single core, so the efficiency difference won't be huge when conforming to the Ae method.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Composite Brush Creator
  • Hey Chris.

Cheers for the update. It's been a massive help on the job i'm currently on. Render times are slightly longer than most Keyers but the results on a difficukt key are unmatched with your plugin.
  • Hey Buddy, 

Trying to install on an m1 mac and get an error when I try to plug in my serial, "Unable to execute script at line 51. Unterminated string constant"

Is my serial borked?
  • Hey Buddy, 

Trying to install on an m1 mac and get an error when I try to plug in my serial, "Unable to execute script at line 51. Unterminated string constant"

Is my serial borked?
    Hey man, good to hear from you. I'll reach out to you via email and we'll get this sorted out!

Cheers
    Chris
    Composite Brush Creator
  • What's the deal with the "render only" license? It can load a project that has Composite Brush applied, but then all the controls will be locked-out? So it can be used to then render that comp but not modify any of the Composite Brush parameters?
  • What's the deal with the "render only" license? It can load a project that has Composite Brush applied, but then all the controls will be locked-out? So it can be used to then render that comp but not modify any of the Composite Brush parameters?
    The render only license is only good within a floating license server setup, via command line rendering. For an individual, you'd want the single user license. Please take a look here!

https://aescripts.com/knowledgebase/index/view/faq/license-type-faq/

Cheers
    Chris
    Composite Brush Creator

• Hi

I am also having the issue of composite wizard not registering a stroke but moves the layer eventhough toogle path button is turned on. Never had this issue before. Can't seem to get around it.
  • Hi

I am also having the issue of composite wizard not registering a stroke but moves the layer eventhough toogle path button is turned on. Never had this issue before. Can't seem to get around it.
    Please feel free to send in a help ticket with a screen recording or your project file. I apologize but I'm out of the county and probably cannot open project files until Monday, but I hope I can help make some good guesses.

Cheers
    Chris
    Composite Brush Creator 
  • Has the below mentioned issue been fixed yet? In AE, I am not longer able to select colors. Clicking on any layer just grabs it. Makes the entire plugin useless to me now! I am using an M1 Mac and AE 2023. Thanks!
  • Has the below mentioned issue been fixed yet? In AE, I am not longer able to select colors. Clicking on any layer just grabs it. Makes the entire plugin useless to me now! I am using an M1 Mac and AE 2023. Thanks!
    Take a look here:

Cheers
    Chris
    Composite Brush Creator
    Take a look here:

Cheers
    Chris
    Composite Brush Creator
    Ah - thank you! This fixed it for me. I had suspected it was something like this, but searching wasn't giving me the answer I needed. Thanks for the quick reply!
  • Using the trial version. Having such a hard time with hair. There also is no difference whatsoever between hard matte and soft 1.6. I might be doing something wrong, but this is extremely frustrating.
  • Using the trial version. Having such a hard time with hair. There also is no difference whatsoever between hard matte and soft 1.6. I might be doing something wrong, but this is extremely frustrating.
    Those two modes are different, but the difference is between positive and negative selections. If you just click and drag the background, all matte types will appear exactly the same, because only positive selections exist. As soon as you alt-click the foreground, the matte types will appear differently, because the matte type is between positive and negative selections.

Cheers
    Chris
    Lockdown Creator
  • when are you going to support multiframe rendering ?

• when are you going to support multiframe rendering ?

We already have CPU multithreading support in our render, so all CPUs are firing at once to render Composite Brush. You can check to confirm this with the task manager and see CPU utilization is at 100% while playing in the timeline. We built this before multi-frame was a thing in After Effects. It doesn't matter how you break up the pixels. You can break them up in frames and send each frame to a different thread, or you can break up chunks of the image and send those to each thread. We probably won't bother to ever support mutli-frame rendering because it won't actually speed things up, and that little yellow warning icon is the only downside.

Cheers
    Chris
    Composite Brush Creator
  • Is there a method whereby the plugins does NOT ignore the effects beneath it? It's seveerly crippled in my workflow by the fact that I must pre-comp my layers to do deep comping. And also this behaviour means that it doesn't work when used in tandem with other plugins like Magic Nodes
  • James Lee said:
    Is there a method whereby the plugins does NOT ignore the effects beneath it? It's seveerly crippled in my workflow by the fact that I must pre-comp my layers to do deep comping. And also this behaviour means that it doesn't work when used in tandem with other plugins like Magic Nodes
    No, there's no way to change that. I usually pre-compose "leaving all attributes" then go into the pre-comp to paste the effects, it's leaves the layer where it's supposed to be with mattes, parenting, other connections etc... in tact.

Cheers
    Chris
  • I simply love the magic powers of Composite Brush, but Chris - please, please, please - if you consider Soft(v1.6), or whatever comes next, the best matte type then P-L-E-A-S-E make it the default as opposed to the everpresent Hard type. I am currently plowing through 30 where-was-the-vfx-supervisor type of shots and I somehow always forget to switch to Soft(v.1.6) before sampling colours making me switch the matte type again, sampling again and leaving me sad about my deteriorating muscle memory.

Otherwise great stuff, can't wait to play with my fresh copy of Lockdown 3.

Cheers,
    K.
  • Composite brush 1.6.7 keeps crashing on Macbook Pro M1 with both AE 23 and AE24, i am working on footage shot on 4k sony a7iii, it crashed with original mp4 and then with the converted .mov (prores proxy).
    It works first, but when I try to fine tune it just goes .... sometimes returns after a very long wait sometimes just freezes.

Any leads?

Thank you

• I had some freezes on 1.6.7 on my MBP M1 Max in AE 2024. I hope it's fixed now in. .8
  • Absolutely amazing results! Using it on a green screen music video and normally reflective surfaces like drums (cymbals, stands) are a nightmare but with a little extra time refining the key using Composite Brush and I’m able to get 99% clean keys with very little rotoscoping needed afterward.

The video has over 200 shots and I was able to key all of them in one day. The workflow and refinement is simple and fast. Render times are fast too.

Also, ran into a tech question and made a support ticket. They got back to me incredibly fast and had exactly the answer I needed.

Highly recommend if you’re needing to do fast quality keys.
  • Composite Brush truly is, the state of the art tool of the century for removing a not so well lit green screen‼️ I promise you that the keylight advanced spill suppressor that comes with After Effects, has nothing on this. I'm shooting my music videos in my room with not so much space, and composite brush is able to clean off the entire background while leaving my footage flawless. It leaves such a soft edge around hair to make it super natural looking, which is super important for me because I love my long blue hair to look awesome in contrast to the background as I move while performing in my vids. You can use a second instance of composite brush for spill too, or just the Advanced Spill Suppressor, or even Remove Color Matting plugins for a quick fix. Composite Brush is worth every penny, and there's just so many cool things you can do with it.

Also, customer service is super helpful if you need them. I opened up a support ticket about green screen spill, and he sent me a short video right away with the snapshot from my video I sent him, showing me how to use a second instance of composite brush to go over the spill around my blue hair, and just change the hue of the spill, straight to the blue it's supposed to be. He even offered to help with a short piece of my raw footage, but I didn't want to take any more of his time after all the help he already gave me. I knew I could figure it out myself and I did. It just takes practice and learning how to use the tool. I'm a super fast learner, but even if you aren't a very technical art nerd, you'll still learn pretty fast because it's pretty straight forward.