BG Renderer Pro
  • I've been trying to use the trial to test things out on CC 2015.3, but can't get it to run at all, I get this issue:
    Rebooted, tried again, same thing. No modals or anything open. Both with advanced options on and off. What am I missing?
    Hard to say but perhaps you have a firewall blocking the port that AE uses to communicate with aerender.  In any case this is an Adobe issue so please contact them for further assitance.
  • Hard to say but perhaps you have a firewall blocking the port that AE uses to communicate with aerender.  In any case this is an Adobe issue so please contact them for further assitance.
    Well for whatever is worth, I got it to run on CC 2017!
    Apparently however, the plugin FX Console conflicts with it (Video Copilot, had to remove for it to run)
    And I had to name my export file somethign simple (I think it was hanging on a parenthesis) but got it to run, and did multiple instances using multi-machine settings, until CPU was at 100%, and managed to render the composition in half the time it took without it. 

It would be great if the UI could have a setting for how many instances to open, and it would do that automatically without having to requeue and start each one...

I will be getting this right away since this is saving my butt today, but just out of curiosity, what is the difference between the trial and the licensed one? (timed? watermark..even though couldn't see one, etc?)

• It would be great if the UI could have a setting for how many instances to open, and it would do that automatically without having to requeue and start each one...
    It already has this, it's the "Save BG Launcher" feature. Check out the tutorial video for details.

what is the difference between the trial and the licensed one? (timed? watermark..even though couldn't see one, etc?)
    There is no difference. You get the full feature set during the trial period.
  • Hey Lloyd,

Long time listener, first time caller. 

Been using BG Render on and off for years but in the last 6 months it has become tacked on to my workflow 90% of the time. I tell everyone about it's benefits - clients, other MoGraph and VFX designers. I've used it on personal projects and huge multi screen renders. I've found that it's also great as an alternative to the old AE farming - it works better and it actually works. It's the bomb!

A few things:
    • It would be great to change the name of the potable file within the UI. I usually just put the file in different locations and rename in finder which is a good enough work around. 
    • It would be great to link the notifications via a gmail account without setting up a local Mail App. I don't want Apple mail to download my many gigs of emails just so I can use notifications. 
    • Recently, I've noticed that if I have several things in the queue and I launch some instances, the computer always crashes when it completes one item and moves on to another. Extremely frustrating. I'm doing PNG sequences and doing 4 instances right now. This seems to be a new issue, so I imagine it's OS or AE related. Not using anything plugins-wise that I haven't used before. Right now, my workaround is to make a potable file for each item in the queue and just launch a new terminal each time one item finishes. 
    • My 6-Core trashcan w/ 128GB of ram always crashes at about 50% of CPU. If I remember correctly, I've been able to run consistently at 75% in previous years. Is that an OS issue or the script bugging out? 
    • +1 one the ability to automate # of instances.
    • Would be great to have a watch folder for potable files so terminal can just pick up the next launcher file when one completes. 
    LOVE this script. Really THE go-to for improving your render workflow. 
  • Cam Vokey said:
    • It would be great to link the notifications via a gmail account without setting up a local Mail App. I don't want Apple mail to download my many gigs of emails just so I can use notifications. 
    Not really sure what you mean, you don't need apple mail to configure it. you can configure it to work directly with your gmail account.
    • Recently, I've noticed that if I have several things in the queue and I launch some instances, the computer always crashes when it completes one item and moves on to another. Extremely frustrating. I'm doing PNG sequences and doing 4 instances right now. This seems to be a new issue, so I imagine it's OS or AE related. Not using anything plugins-wise that I haven't used before. Right now, my workaround is to make a potable file for each item in the queue and just launch a new terminal each time one item finishes. 
    This sounds like an aerender bug. Please report it to Adobe here: http://adobe.com/go/wish/
    • My 6-Core trashcan w/ 128GB of ram always crashes at about 50% of CPU. If I remember correctly, I've been able to run consistently at 75% in previous years. Is that an OS issue or the script bugging out? 
    This has a lot to do with the effects that you are using in your comp. Different effects use multi-threading in different ways and almost none of them assume that you are going to be launching multiple rendering instances so there will be a point where there is some collusion which is why you'll never be able to maximize cores.  Again, this is something you can report to Adobe.

• +1 one the ability to automate # of instances.
    We used to have this feature and took it out because the instances would crash when launch too closely together. We replaced it with the "BG Launcher" feature which delays the launching of each instance but is still easy for the user to launch as you simply need to double click on the launcher to launch a new instance. Again, if you want to be able to launch several aerender instances simultaneously please let Adobe know.

• Would be great to have a watch folder for potable files so terminal can just pick up the next launcher file when one completes. 
    BG Renderer is not a farm rendering solution for many reasons.
    • LOVE this script. Really THE go-to for improving your render workflow.  
    Awesome, glad to hear it.
  • Re: Bug reporting to Adobe - If I render straight from Adobe it doesn't crash. What bug could I report to Adobe? Happy to report of course, but not sure what to report...

Re: Cores - understood

Re: # of instances. I use the potable files because my render machine is on a server so I open them from the render machine anyway. It would be great to build into the scripts functionality to auto launch multiple instances from terminal launch - and be able to set a delay if necessary. I've found the BG Renderer works best when I launch multiple instances simultaneously. On a 28-core, I can launch 8 at a time and it works like a champ. I wait 30 seconds and launch another 8. When doing tons of renders it would be awesome to automate that process to some degree. 

Re: Farm rendering - I use it for that purpose regularly. Is there a reason I shouldn't be? 
  • Cam Vokey said:
    Re: Bug reporting to Adobe - If I render straight from Adobe it doesn't crash. What bug could I report to Adobe? Happy to report of course, but not sure what to report...
    That your renders crash when you render using aerender.
    Re: # of instances. I use the potable files because my render machine is on a server so I open them from the render machine anyway. It would be great to build into the scripts functionality to auto launch multiple instances from terminal launch - and be able to set a delay if necessary. I've found the BG Renderer works best when I launch multiple instances simultaneously. On a 28-core, I can launch 8 at a time and it works like a champ. I wait 30 seconds and launch another 8. When doing tons of renders it would be awesome to automate that process to some degree. 
    We had this exact functionality in BGR v1 and took it out because it caused more problems than it solved. The timing and ability to do this varies greatly from machine to machine and we were unfortunately never able to get something that worked reliably for everyone.
  • Hey Llyod, 

Loving this script. I have it working perfectly on my MacBook pro running AE CC2015. 

However I just built a new render workstation and installed AE CC2017 and it doesn't seem to like it. I saw that Alejandro Diaz  got it working on his machine. I'm just wondering if there's some workaround to get it to play nice. The AE CC2017 is a clean install and has the same plug-ins as the one on my MacBook. 

I have it installed as a trial on that machine, any chance that registering it will change anything?

My workstation also isn't connected to the internet. Any reason that that might be the problem?

My only other recourse is to do a completely new re-install, I'd just like to try out all other possibilities before going that way...

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Once again, great job. I was able to do some benchmarking on my MAC rendering 4K video with effects and animations and I was able to get a render down from 45min to 13min running 6 instances (rMBP mid-2015 16GB  AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB). I tried with 8 instances but there's no appreciable performance improvement (though it was stable)

J.
  • Jon Yu said:
    Hey Llyod, 

Loving this script. I have it working perfectly on my MacBook pro running AE CC2015. 

However I just built a new render workstation and installed AE CC2017 and it doesn't seem to like it. I saw that Alejandro Diaz  got it working on his machine. I'm just wondering if there's some workaround to get it to play nice. The AE CC2017 is a clean install and has the same plug-ins as the one on my MacBook. 

I have it installed as a trial on that machine, any chance that registering it will change anything?

My workstation also isn't connected to the internet. Any reason that that might be the problem?

My only other recourse is to do a completely new re-install, I'd just like to try out all other possibilities before going that way...

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Once again, great job. I was able to do some benchmarking on my MAC rendering 4K video with effects and animations and I was able to get a render down from 45min to 13min running 6 instances (rMBP mid-2015 16GB  AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB). I tried with 8 instances but there's no appreciable performance improvement (though it was stable)

J.
    Can't help you if we don't know what the issue is. Please open a support ticket and include as many details as possible including screenshots so we are best able to help you.
  • Amazing work and I love the script. 

I have a few questions and I was hoping you or someone else could help with.

Do you know if this script will be able to utilize over 64 threads across 2 or more physical cpu's on the same motherboard?
    (Something to do with processor groups?)
    I began my research here that states some programs cant see more than 64 threads and I am hoping that I can get around that by using this script. I don't own the hardware yet or else I would have tried and posted the results by now. I am hoping to avoid spending a good chunk of change for something I wouldn't have a secondary use for other than rendering.

I've asked similar questions to the Adobe support and community forums but they weren't providing any new or particularly useful information.

Thank you for any and all responses. Hopefully its possible.
  • is there a problem with BG pro and after effects 2017? every time I start a render with it I have to wait ages in order to my render to start :(
  • is there a problem with BG pro and after effects 2017? every time I start a render with it I have to wait ages in order to my render to start :(

No there are no known issues. Please open a support ticket so we can help you directly https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1
  • IS IT NORMAL FOR AE 2017 to ask and save the file I'm working on in order for BG Renderer Pro to start the render processes ? 
  • Love the app. It certainly saved my bacon on the last project where I needed the laptop to be ripping out as close to 100% as possible. Once you have the workflow I was rendering at 80-90% capacity. A huge improvement over crazy single core AE!!!!

But!!!!

Any hints on getting the email set up. I've tried every configuration going and can't get it to fly.

Firstly
    Worm:VBS/Jenxcus.CF

Appears as malware. I saw this mentioned previously. Should this be allowed?

Various none connection messagage are displayed as I try different mail servers

1- transport failed to connect to the server
    2- When tried with gmail I got nothing but an email from google telling me there was an attempted login.
    along with this was a transport error code 0x80040217. server response not available.

I have allowed less secure apps and this returned the same message.

I know each case is slightly different but I'm sure peoplemust have had similar issues and been able to resolve them.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Rich

• Love the app. It certainly saved my bacon on the last project where I needed the laptop to be ripping out as close to 100% as possible. Once you have the workflow I was rendering at 80-90% capacity. A huge improvement over crazy single core AE!!!!

But!!!!

Any hints on getting the email set up. I've tried every configuration going and can't get it to fly.

Firstly
    Worm:VBS/Jenxcus.CF

Appears as malware. I saw this mentioned previously. Should this be allowed?

Various none connection messagage are displayed as I try different mail servers

1- transport failed to connect to the server
    2- When tried with gmail I got nothing but an email from google telling me there was an attempted login.
    along with this was a transport error code 0x80040217. server response not available.

I have allowed less secure apps and this returned the same message.

I know each case is slightly different but I'm sure peoplemust have had similar issues and been able to resolve them.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Rich

It needs to contact an external server to send an email, if you have your virus software set to not allow this then it wont' be able to do it. You will need to configure your virus software to allow it.  
  • Thanks. I'm only running defender and even with that off it still doesn't connect.  What specifically can I 'allow' ?  Is this easier resolved as a support ticket?
  • Thanks. I'm only running defender and even with that off it still doesn't connect.  What specifically can I 'allow' ?  Is this easier resolved as a support ticket?
    You will need to contact the developer of the virus software for help setting it up.
  • I'm on CC2017, trying it for first time. I've had some luck, but mixed. If the terminal window becomes unresponsive...how do I exit using the Task Manager -what is the name of the process?
  • I'm on CC2017, trying it for first time. I've had some luck, but mixed. If the terminal window becomes unresponsive...how do I exit using the Task Manager -what is the name of the process?
    aerender
  • Hi there,

how it is possible to get the duration of a rendering written in the log-File or better in the post message?
    And if I have more than one composition in the renderlist to get for each renderjob a duration time.

thank you
  • Hi there,

how it is possible to get the duration of a rendering written in the log-File or better in the post message?
    And if I have more than one composition in the renderlist to get for each renderjob a duration time.

thank you
    That output is written by aerender so you will need to feature request it from Adobe
  • I am using the trial version of this script on AE CC 2017. But how can I make my CPU fully loaded while rendering. When I use this script in rendering, CPU usage is only around 10%, which is frustrating. And I have checked "Use Multiprocessing".
    I need your help!
  • I am using the trial version of this script on AE CC 2017. But how can I make my CPU fully loaded while rendering. When I use this script in rendering, CPU usage is only around 10%, which is frustrating. And I have checked "Use Multiprocessing".
    I need your help!
    Adobe discontinued support for the MP option in recent versions. You will need to use the "Save BG launcher" and launch your own instances to optimize CPU usage. Check the tutorial video for details on how to use this feature.
  • Hey there! Love your plugin and it's helped IMMENSELY in the past!

However, I tried running it today (CC2017 but not the newest one) and wasn't able to start up more than one instance. Each subsequent instance would just look at the frames already done and then quit out saying the job was done while not rendering anything.

I was wondering if anyone else has run into this? 
  • Hey there! Love your plugin and it's helped IMMENSELY in the past!

However, I tried running it today (CC2017 but not the newest one) and wasn't able to start up more than one instance. Each subsequent instance would just look at the frames already done and then quit out saying the job was done while not rendering anything.

I was wondering if anyone else has run into this? 
    Sounds like you have the "Skip existing frames" setting on in the render settings
    I need your help!
    Adobe discontinued support for the MP option in recent versions. You will need to use the "Save BG launcher" and launch your own instances to optimize CPU usage. Check the tutorial video for details on how to use this feature.
    Does this mean, with my 24 physical core xeon machine running cc2017 I would have to start 24 instances of the launcher to use my cores? the multiprocessing option has no effect here?
    I need your help!
    Does this mean, with my 24 physical core xeon machine running cc2017 I would have to start 24 instances of the launcher to use my cores? the multiprocessing option has no effect here?
    Depends on the project but the general rule of thumb is to have 2GB of ram per instance + 2GB for the system. You also need to consider other IO bottlenecks so I doubt one machine could handle 24 concurrent instances. So depending on how much ram you have and how fast your IO is, you probably want to stay in the 8-12 range.
  • Hello,  

we have been using bg render for long time and never a problem. But we updated our machine and we have been  trying to use bg render pro on windows 10/ 128gb ram /i7 6950x cpu /3x1080 ti /and adobe cc2017 latest version.
    Nothing works :(... instances cant be opened or finishes before even starting .... frame are very easily corrupted. I was wondering if theres is an update or a patch ? help would be very apriciated.
    Regards
  • Hello,  

we have been using bg render for long time and never a problem. But we updated our machine and we have been  trying to use bg render pro on windows 10/ 128gb ram /i7 6950x cpu /3x1080 ti /and adobe cc2017 latest version.
    Nothing works :(... instances cant be opened or finishes before even starting .... frame are very easily corrupted. I was wondering if theres is an update or a patch ? help would be very apriciated.
    Regards
    No there are no known issues. Please open a support ticket so we can help you directly https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1
  • I have a render pipeline that depends on the post render action of importing the rendered comp into the next comp in the queue and using that to make another version at a different resolution and using a different codec and frame extraction. Will BG renderer support that kind of workflow? 
  • I have a render pipeline that depends on the post render action of importing the rendered comp into the next comp in the queue and using that to make another version at a different resolution and using a different codec and frame extraction. Will BG renderer support that kind of workflow? 

No, those post render actions are not supported by aerender. You can feature request it from Adobe here: http://adobe.com/go/wish

• Hi,

so I've upgraded my HW (i7 6900 8 core, geForce 1080, 64GB ram) and software to AE 2017. Was surprised to find no multicore support in AE2017, when rendering my CPU is at 10%. So after some googling went for your BG Renderer plugin and now am testing the trial version. The CPU usage is on 35 % on average and even though the rendering seems faster than without the plugin the difference is not that big. I'm still considering buying the plugin just for the comfort of BG rendering. But will full version be faster? Is there any other way how to utilize my CPU more for rendering to achieve faster times?

Thanks for any help.

-pav-
  • Hi,

so I've upgraded my HW (i7 6900 8 core, geForce 1080, 64GB ram) and software to AE 2017. Was surprised to find no multicore support in AE2017, when rendering my CPU is at 10%. So after some googling went for your BG Renderer plugin and now am testing the trial version. The CPU usage is on 35 % on average and even though the rendering seems faster than without the plugin the difference is not that big. I'm still considering buying the plugin just for the comfort of BG rendering. But will full version be faster? Is there any other way how to utilize my CPU more for rendering to achieve faster times?

Thanks for any help.

-pav-
    The trial version and full version are the same
  • Hi,

Thanks for any help.

-pav-
    The trial version and full version are the same
    and is there any other way how to utilize my CPU even more than the 35% I'm getting now? or is this a restriction of the GC?
  • Any update on the update? 
  • Any update on the update? 
    You can find the latest version in the 'My Downloads & Licenses' section of your user account.  If you are having a technical issue please open a support ticket.
  • I noticed that the Output Module setting "post-render action: set proxy" does not seem to work when rendering with BG Renderer. Is there any way to make this happen?
  • I noticed that the Output Module setting "post-render action: set proxy" does not seem to work when rendering with BG Renderer. Is there any way to make this happen?
    Unfortunately not. Please use qp ProxyMan if you need this functionality.
  • hey Lloyd

is there a headless version of this script so i can fire it from a toolbar (Kbar).?
    I don't want my button to launch the whole window but to actually start the render such as the "BG Render" button does.

cheers
  • hey Lloyd

is there a headless version of this script so i can fire it from a toolbar (Kbar).?
    I don't want my button to launch the whole window but to actually start the render such as the "BG Render" button does.

cheers
    No, a headless version does not exist in the current version. However it is a popular request so we will consider it for a future version.
  • Hi again!
    maybe I'm missing something here but is there a quick way to start each render queue element in its own bg renderer instance? setting this up manually actually takes a long time. If that's not possible, consider it a feature request :)
    Cheers!
  • Hi again!
    maybe I'm missing something here but is there a quick way to start each render queue element in its own bg renderer instance? setting this up manually actually takes a long time. If that's not possible, consider it a feature request :)
    Cheers!
    Yes, that is exactly what the "Save BG Launcher" feature is. Please watch the tutorial video to learn how to use it.
  • Hi again!
    Cheers!
    Yes, that is exactly what the "Save BG Launcher" feature is. Please watch the tutorial video to learn how to use it.
    Thanks, but BG Launcher just saves an executable file still containing the whole queue and still only launching one instance of bg renderer to render each active queue item one after the other. I'm trying to find an easy "one click" solution to render each render queue item in a seperate instance of bg renderer, all opened in parallel. If that is explained in the tutorial somewhere I'm not finding it.
    Cheers!
    Stephan
  • Thanks, but BG Launcher just saves an executable file still containing the whole queue and still only launching one instance of bg renderer to render each active queue item one after the other. I'm trying to find an easy "one click" solution to render each render queue item in a seperate instance of bg renderer, all opened in parallel. If that is explained in the tutorial somewhere I'm not finding it.
    Cheers!
    Stephan
    Render to a frame sequence and set the "skip existing frames" checkbox in the render settings. Then save the BG launcher and double click it as many times as you would like parallel rendering instances for your whole queue. This is how render farms work and it's the most optimized way to render. There is no option to split up the render queue into separate items as that would not be efficient.
  • Great product!

Feature request: more keywords :)

- [StartFrame]
    Very useful with the "-start_number" option of ffmpeg. Otherwise ffmpeg will fail if the start frame is not specified and the image sequence doesn't start at 0. This can be hardcoded in the command but would be better if dynamic.

- [CompFramerate]
    Useful with the "-framerate" option of ffmpeg, when dealing with image sequences where the framerate cannot be guessed. Again, it could be hardcoded in the command but better if dynamic.

- [output01FileName], [output02FileName], etc.
    Right now it seems that the [outputFileName] keyword in BG Renderer only uses the filename of the first output module. So if I have one module exporting the soundtrack of my comp and a second module exporting an image sequence of the comp and I want to merge and compress the two into a video (e.g. h264), I need to use exactly the same name for both audio file and image sequence. To be able to use any names for any output module, again, without hardcoding values (which prevents from rendering mutliple render elements in the queue with different output names), it would be nice to have separate name and paths keywords for each output module.
    I realise the scope of this last feature might be more important than the previous two, with fewer benefits.

Please correct me if any of my assumptions are wrong. Cheers.
  • Does the plugin works in AE CC2017 (latest build)?

Does the plugin support only CPU rendering or can it use GPU as well ?

Whats with plugins that use Open CL / Open GL can BG render this too?

Sorry for the questions I'am new to AE ^^
  • Does the plugin works in AE CC2017 (latest build)?

Does the plugin support only CPU rendering or can it use GPU as well ?

Whats with plugins that use Open CL / Open GL can BG render this too?

Sorry for the questions I'am new to AE ^^
    aerender does not support GPU rendering. Please let Adobe know you'd like them to fix this: http://adobe.com/go/wish/
  • Is there any plan for an update? This sometimes freeze AE, and I have random reboots when using multiple instances of BG (mac 10.12.6)
  • Is there any plan for an update? This sometimes freeze AE, and I have random reboots when using multiple instances of BG (mac 10.12.6)
    There are no unresolved issues due to fix so this is probably something specific to your setup. Please open a support ticket and include screenshots so we are best able to help you.
  • I tried to render with BGrenderer on latest AfterEffects (CC2018) with multiple instances, but it gives me error sounds (Goat Sound) leaving 1 instance and all the other ones quit. Is this a bug ? or AfterEffects doesn't allow to run multiple instances of AE render anymore. I'm running on Windows 10 ( Fall Creators Update). Thank you.