Depth Scanner
  • The GPU accelerated version makes AE (latest version) freeze and then crash and the non GPU version says the effect can't be intialized.

This plugin used to a work a few months ago. 

It seems like lots of people are having the same basic issues and for a plugin that costs $99 that's pretty bad.
  • Ed Lawes said:
    The GPU accelerated version makes AE (latest version) freeze and then crash and the non GPU version says the effect can't be intialized.

This plugin used to a work a few months ago. 

It seems like lots of people are having the same basic issues and for a plugin that costs $99 that's pretty bad.
    Hey Ed,
    we are sorry for the problems you are running into. We recently released a new version which should fix the error on non-nvidia systems. For the other bug, please open a ticket: https://aescripts.com/contact/?product_id=1864
  • Hello,
    should I use the uninstaller before update?
  • I'm at my wit's end. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the plugins multiple times and can't get Depth Scanner to work. Goodbye greenscreen runs without issue on the latest version of Ae and the plugins are all 1.11.4. Depth Scanner and the Mask Prompter trial just keep failing with this error message: 

After Effects error: This effect cannot be applied because it cannot be initialized.
    Try reinstalling or contacting the plug-in developer.
    (25 :: 3) 
  • I'm at my wit's end. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the plugins multiple times and can't get Depth Scanner to work. Goodbye greenscreen runs without issue on the latest version of Ae and the plugins are all 1.11.4. Depth Scanner and the Mask Prompter trial just keep failing with this error message: 

After Effects error: This effect cannot be applied because it cannot be initialized.
    Try reinstalling or contacting the plug-in developer.
    (25 :: 3) 
     please open a ticket for assistance: https://aescripts.com/contact/?product_id=1864
  • Y change version # when nothing has changed but the download server. seams pointless and counterproductive.
  • Hello Blace Plugins, recently I used this plugin in After Effects. However, today when updating your three plugins on my aescripts + aeplugins hub, the following dialogue signage read: ! No files were installed for Depth Scanner.

Similarly, attempting to download the recent update for Depth Scanner via this website was unsuccessful. Please look in to this.

I have taken out a support ticket, and just wanted other customers to know of my experience.

• Hello Blace Plugins, recently I used this plugin in After Effects. However, today when updating your three plugins on my aescripts + aeplugins hub, the following dialogue signage read: ! No files were installed for Depth Scanner.

Similarly, attempting to download the recent update for Depth Scanner via this website was unsuccessful. Please look in to this.

I have taken out a support ticket, and just wanted other customers to know of my experience.

Hey, this is fixed now! Thanks for reporting.
  • Why is there a yellow cross on my project when I add depth scanner? is it because I have trial version?
  • Why is there a yellow cross on my project when I add depth scanner? is it because I have trial version?
    Exactly!
  • This might be the hardest plugin to install. I'm stuck in an installing an uninstalling loop. The read me file isn't much help either. I've spent more on other plugins that are worlds easier to install.
  • This might be the hardest plugin to install. I'm stuck in an installing an uninstalling loop. The read me file isn't much help either. I've spent more on other plugins that are worlds easier to install.
    Hey,
    please open a bugticket here: https://aescripts.com/contact/
  • Keeps crashing !! This is nuts
  • Keeps crashing !! This is nuts

please open a ticket for assistance: https://aescripts.com/contact/?product_id=1864
  • I couldn't install this product :(
    I've turned off norton firewall etc but i still can't install the plugin
  • I couldn't install this product :(
    I've turned off norton firewall etc but i still can't install the plugin
    please open a ticket for assistance: https://aescripts.com/contact/?product_id=1864
  • This is such a cool plugin and useful in many ways. The only downside is the hardware that would be needed to run this.

I tried this when it first came out and it had a lot of stability issues. Over time this plugin has improved and became stable.
    Please keep the updates coming. :)
    Can't wait to use this on my next project!
  • Note to self: don't accidentally duplicate plugin. Insta-crash lol
  • Note to self: don't accidentally duplicate plugin. Insta-crash lol
    Hey Ralph, we just posted an update which fixed this. Thanks for reporting!
  • Installers with the latest update (Feb 7th 2024) appear to be broken. On MacOS the installer says installation fails shortly after unpacking. On Windows the installer hangs when trying to download the first redistributable. 

Windows error:

"SSL: no alternative certificate subject name matches target host name 'download.blaceplugins.com"
  • I can't believe how easily Depth Anything was integrated into your plug-in! This is a game changer!
  • Depth Anything is a fantastic update! The plugin is way faster now too, thanks!
  • Have the latest update on my Mac Studio Ultra in After Effects.
    Incredibly slow (33 hours for a 1 hour file?!!?) and then crashes after multiple attempts on Depth Anything Large!
    This can't be right - I have an M2 Ultra with 128 gb of ram.
    Useless as of now. 
    REALLY wnat to use these maps!
    Help?
  • FYI, I just tried version 1.12.5 for PC.   I was able to render a long 1080p video (almost 2 hours) with Depth Anything Large - High with a 3080ti and it did not crash.   Rendered to M.2 in case that might be a difference.   

Now the question I have is there a list of GPU's that can use the hardware enhancement.  My 3080ti seems to use it fine.   A 2080ti on another system does not seem to use the GPU when rendering from Adobe Media Encoded (with hardware rendering selected) - it seems to only use some CPU (maybe 12%) and less that 1% or 2% of the GPU. In any event it is multiples slower than my 3080ti (3 to 4 times slower) with otherwise similar specs outside the GPU.   Is that expected for a 2080ti or is there something I can check into?   I did install Depth Scanner with the GPU checkbox checked.  Thanks.
  • Update 2/11 First i want to preface with a positive statement before i go into negatives,

I managed to finally do a Depth Anything Large depth map on very high and it was definitely a welcome improvement in 3d,

Now into what i noticed needs improvement. Even tho i was able to do very high, i had to keep extra details UNCHECKED otherwise it would result in a crash after a few minutes. I also did testing with just one frame, and i noticed that even if you were to check extra details the depth map actually looks worse if you check extra details. So it is actually better to leave extra details unchecked. On the frame i experimented on, one of the peoples legs didnt show up at all when i checked extra details which it should actually be the opposite. The other previous mode  Accurate Depth 2023 didnt have this problem with extra details checked. So you all need to refine the extra details to work properly with the Depth Anything Large model.

Now  in terms of Extreme base resolution i could tell this would literally be miles better than very high, because i could see just from a preview it would be the most accurate depth map ever, but the problem is even with a super powerful system, extreme base resolution immediately crashes making it unusable, which i don't understand why for me because i have a 16 core threadripper 3950x cpu with 128gb of system ram, an rtx 3090 gpu that has 24gb vram, and 4gb of pcie 4.0 m.2 drive, my system is blazing fast, and with extreme mode it says not enough vram, what in the world, just how much vram do you need to do extreme, and even with the lowest precision checked, extreme mode crashes on a powerful system, i could see if it was a card that was 8gb of vram or even 16gb of vram, but i have 24 gb of vram and 128gb system ram with an m.2 that has a write speed of 7000mb/s, can you all clarify, how much vram you need for extreme, its a pity because i would use it if i could  i wouldnt mind waiting a long time on extreme if it meant i would have pitch perfect crystal clear flawless 3d. Please work on making extreme mode useable because at the moment the extreme mode would be the greatest feature ever if it actually worked.
  • Hey, if the Extreme mode consumes aroung 10GB of VRAM on my system. If you use it, you better disable Extra Details option. We need to improve documentation here. Please open a bug report so we can better investigate: https://aescripts.com/contact/?product_id=1864
  • you guys need to get away from after effects for this plugin. how bout that version for resolve studio? how that coming along?
  • Update 2/13, i was only able to convert one video using very high with depth anything, extreme mode did not work for me, i disabled everything on extreme mode and it still crashed, makes no sense why it should crash on a system with an rtx 3090 and 128gb of system ram. also i even experienced a crash with the regular high mode with the depth anything model. i can say for a fact depth anything looks very very pretty when you can get through a conversion but blace, you all need to make this plugin stable, and i agree withthe other guy down below, why dont you all make this a plugin option for davinci resolve, because after effects is just not good for this plugin. resolve would be probably better for stability, any information on when to expect a davinci resolve version of this plugin? i would happily pay a fee for a davinci resolve version. you all would also gain a bigger base of customers on davinci, because people are getting away from adobe because of adobes practices. If you go on youtube, you will see davinci is the talk of the town right now on video editors.
  • Update 2/13, i was only able to convert one video using very high with depth anything, extreme mode did not work for me, i disabled everything on extreme mode and it still crashed, makes no sense why it should crash on a system with an rtx 3090 and 128gb of system ram. also i even experienced a crash with the regular high mode with the depth anything model. i can say for a fact depth anything looks very very pretty when you can get through a conversion but blace, you all need to make this plugin stable, and i agree withthe other guy down below, why dont you all make this a plugin option for davinci resolve, because after effects is just not good for this plugin. resolve would be probably better for stability, any information on when to expect a davinci resolve version of this plugin? i would happily pay a fee for a davinci resolve version. you all would also gain a bigger base of customers on davinci, because people are getting away from adobe because of adobes practices. If you go on youtube, you will see davinci is the talk of the town right now on video editors.
    Hey,
    regarding the crash, please open a bug report here: https://aescripts.com/contact/?product_id=1864
    Resolve support is definitely something we are looking into, but it's quite a complext task and may take some time.
  • Hello,

I use a Pc with an Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080 Ti.

Your plugin works perfectly with Ae 2023 but it doesn't work with 2024.

Have you goy an isue ?

Best regards
    Fabrice
  • Hello,

I use a Pc with an Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080 Ti.

Your plugin works perfectly with Ae 2023 but it doesn't work with 2024.

Have you goy an isue ?

Best regards
    Fabrice
    Hey,
    this is unexpected as we test it on AE 2024 as well. Please open a ticket so we can tackle the issue: https://aescripts.com/contact/?product_id=1864

• hello, having an issue when I apply the effect. why am I getting a yellow cross? 
  • hello, having an issue when I apply the effect. why am I getting a yellow cross? 

you need to register your license: https://aescripts.com/knowledgebase/index/view/faq/how-to-register-plugins/ 
  • Hello everybody,

Im running the licensed plugin on AE 2024 with an RTX 4070 SUPER 12Gb VRAM but the plugin keeps crashing even on default settings and a 1080p footage.
    Can somebody tell me some tips to minimize the crashes ? I can see the potential of this plugin but it's really unusable in this state.
    Sorry for my bad english and I hope somebody can help me !
  • Is there any plan to add extra details back?
  • Manu JIRO said:
    Hello everybody,

Im running the licensed plugin on AE 2024 with an RTX 4070 SUPER 12Gb VRAM but the plugin keeps crashing even on default settings and a 1080p footage.
    Can somebody tell me some tips to minimize the crashes ? I can see the potential of this plugin but it's really unusable in this state.
    Sorry for my bad english and I hope somebody can help me !
    Hey, please add a ticket here: https://aescripts.com/contact/
  • Is there any plan to add extra details back?
    Hey,
    this extra details was replaced by the new depth anything model which will give much better results for higher resolution than the extra details option. If there are cases where you are not happy with the results please reach out again.
  • I'm working on Lenovo notebook with RTX 2060. Everything works as it should, but I can't force Depth Scanner to work with GPU acceleration, CPU is doing all the work. Everything seems to be set up correctly and AE is using GPU whenever it can but not with Depth Scanner. Am I missing some hidden setting?
  • I'm working on Lenovo notebook with RTX 2060. Everything works as it should, but I can't force Depth Scanner to work with GPU acceleration, CPU is doing all the work. Everything seems to be set up correctly and AE is using GPU whenever it can but not with Depth Scanner. Am I missing some hidden setting?
    Hey, did you install the gpu version and see the gpu checkbox in the UI? If this does not help, please open a ticket: https://aescripts.com/contact/