Lockdown 3 for After Effects

• imageLockdown 3 for After Effects

Lockdown 3 is here! Lockdown is the original and best plug-in that allows you to track warping surfaces inside After Effects. Lockdown 3 lets you give your mesh 3D depth. Easily send the mesh to Cinema 4D, Blender, and other 3D apps to attach objects, digitally re-light, and more!

https://aescripts.com/lockdown/

• Wow.  Just wow. Just the tool and just in time for a new project. Biggest challenge has always been with moving shots.  Anything to look out for here in this new version?
  • Wow.  Just wow. Just the tool and just in time for a new project. Biggest challenge has always been with moving shots.  Anything to look out for here in this new version?
    The things I'm most concerned with will be the extra strain the new features may put on your computer. The download itself is like 1.3gb per version, whereas the last was 50mb. You can expect to use a lot more system resources anytime you use the depth estimator. The features were well tested on relatively new computers, but I'm still bracing myself to see how a 10 year old PC will work with it. We'll optimize as needed as feedback rolls in! 
    The core features from Lockdown 2 should still be lightweight.

Cheers
    Chris
    Lockdown Creator
    The things I'm most concerned with will be the extra strain the new features may put on your computer. The download itself is like 1.3gb per version, whereas the last was 50mb. You can expect to use a lot more system resources anytime you use the depth estimator. The features were well tested on relatively new computers, but I'm still bracing myself to see how a 10 year old PC will work with it. We'll optimize as needed as feedback rolls in! 
    The core features from Lockdown 2 should still be lightweight.

Cheers
    Chris
    Lockdown Creator
    I'm buying new gear next month. Any difference in Lockdown3/AE/C4D on Macs vs PCs?
  • Woah. Lockdown 2 was impressive, but as I already had Mocha, I didn’t see a need for another planar tracker. I also have Syntheyes, but this seems to feel different. Are there any unconventional ways you’ve been using it that seem to just work, or any differentiating things that make this a better choice than say meshwarp in Mocha Pro?? I’m purchasing regardless because it seems like a relatively lightweight tool “I run a 2019 Mac Pro with 2 w6800x duos and a 2023 Puget System with a 64core theeadripper and 2 RTX 4090’s”, so it’ll propbably be quicker to open and utilize in quicker scenes…I’d love to hear though!
  • Is there a Lockdown 2,Paint link ,Upgrade path ??
  • Hi, 

I already own Lockdown 2 and Composite Brush. Are there any discounts applied for owning those products?

Thanks!
  • Hi! I have lockdown 2 are there any discount applied for upgrade?
  • already own lockdown 2. No discount for upgrade? 
  • Is there a Lockdown 2,Paint link ,Upgrade path ??

Hi! I have lockdown 2 are there any discount applied for upgrade?

already own lockdown 2. No discount for upgrade? 
    Upgrade details here: https://aescripts.com/lockdown/#upgrade-notice ;

• Really interesting to see how you rip off loyal existing customers already at the first version jump. A very bad move.
    However, this also inevitably leads to the fact that I will of course no longer recommend and support you in the future. On the contrary. It will be my pleasure to harm you as efficiently as possible. You don't believe how well I can proselytize and will also do that with sporting zeal.

• How is this different from Mocha Pro? Mocha Pro cost me $300 too, so before I buy this I'd really like to know if it's worth it if I already own Mocha Pro. Thank you.
  • I made some incorrect comments about the upgrade earlier. 

The new version is on sale for $299 to new users.
    Previous users can upgrade for $200.
    The regular price for new users is $399.

I am upgrading now. 
  • You’re SERIOUSLY making existing users pay for it AGAIN? Who does that? This plugin is already more expensive than the whole of DaVinci Resolve. More expensive that FCPX, Logic Pro X. People took the leap on v1 and helped you iron out the bugs, yet there’s no acknowledgment of that trust. Astounding. Judging by the slew of angry comments, seems you’ve gotten a rather inflated idea of how valuable this product is (isn’t). The number of times I’ve needed this instead of even Mocha AE is not worth the price of admission. $49 for existing owners. That’s still more than almost all plugins to buy. Or you could have done “pay what you want”.
  • Really interesting to see how you rip off loyal existing customers already at the first version jump. A very bad move.
    However, this also inevitably leads to the fact that I will of course no longer recommend and support you in the future. On the contrary. It will be my pleasure to harm you as efficiently as possible. You don't believe how well I can proselytize and will also do that with sporting zeal.

Seconded.
  • Hi Chris - I already own Lockdown 2 as well as Composite Brush. I know you're getting hammer with these questions. But what are the upgrade options in this scenario? Thank you. The new lockdown looks nuts btw. Very cool. 
  • Hi Chris - I already own Lockdown 2 as well as Composite Brush. I know you're getting hammer with these questions. But what are the upgrade options in this scenario? Thank you. The new lockdown looks nuts btw. Very cool. 

The upgrade options are: “pay for it again”
  • It should be clear to anyone working in motion graphics that Christopher Vranos' Lockdown is potentially an indispensable plugin. However, Mr Vranos demonstrates unattractive hard-headedness toward his loyal customers. In the place of glib responses from Mr Vranos and aescripts + aeplugins such as "pay for it again", returning customers should expect a thank you for their continued support of a software vendor. It is simply good business. 

I appreciate hours of time and energy have gone in to re-engineering Lockdown. However, the world is slowly moving out of a pandemic and easing in to a global economic recession. You do the maths.  
  • I think it is a very bad move to increase the price from 250 to 400 dollars - bundling in paintlink and composite brush won`t fix this because there will be a lot of users like me, who have no requirement for those plugins and for whom that`s a whopping 60% increase...
  • In the description, they said that they raised the price because it has update feature and includes PaintLink and Composite Brushes, but when I asked if I could get a discount if I already had PaintLink, they said that they couldn't give me a discount because those two plugins(paintlink and coposite brushes) are free giveaway. According to them, only the newly updated Lockdown 3 will cost $400 without 2 plugins(since they said the other two plugins are free giveaways),and existing Lockdown 2 users will have to pay an additional $200 for the update. I've only been using Lockdown 2 for a year, and I'll have to pay a total of $450 to use Lockdown for more than two years. I ask if this is really fair... I'm getting tired of paying a lot of money for plugins, only to have to buy them again a year or so later when the numbers are up. I'm not a professional videographer, I'm just an elementary school teacher who makes educational videos for kids. I buy plugins because they look good for teaching, but I don't use them a lot. If I'm going to pay a lot of money for something I'm going to use for years.(at least 5 year) I'd like to see the plugin makers at least update it so that existing buyers can use it in After Effects, even if it's a newer version of the plugin that's a few years old. I also think that if a plugin is in an existing bundle without being sold as a bundle, it should be removed from the additional discount or price. Why don't you just make it an annual subscription like the Helium plugin? I feel like I'm already paying 200$ a year for it.
  • Hi, I just purchased lockdown 3 and all is going well except for when I try to use a 1 point track. When I create a transform on my point and then export it to the after effects timeline, the null object will follow the track for a few seconds and then completely drift and stop following. Is there a way to fix this??? Cheers - Mack
  • V3 looks phenomenal! Just putting in a vote for a Blender export button alongside C4D :)
  • I have been following and using Lockdown since the beginning. Of course was revolutionary until the Mesh Tracker in Davinci came out and Mocha Pro Mesh tracking. But what I have loved about it is the stabilized mesh. Just saves me so much time. And I use it in addition to Mocha Powermesh and Davinci Mesh tracker. My big complaint and I wont get in to the huge price gouging and not supporting or not respecting old faithful customers from the beginning is how little he puts in to his tutorials. I mean they quickly wash over everything in just a few minutes. I realized from the beginning that he is doing these tutorials from a programmers brain and not a users brain. I have been so lost on each of his tutorials you would not believe it and Iam a graphics artist and I use C4D and Maya and Max. So Iam not a dummy. Look on each of his videos he says about a feature he is explaining he will say something like oh this feature is not avail but we are looking to add it in the future. Just look at his latest video on getting started with Lockdown 3. And at the end of the video my jaw dropped when he said. Oh, the only problem about going back in to C4D with the mesh you just warped is it overwrites the existing C4D project and you loose the work you did in C4D however, we are looking for a fix to that in the future. Heard that before! Iam not here to bash just amazes me how so many negative comments which he does not respond to and youtube tutorials that glance over a subject and say but we are working on that. But really the really worse is that Powermesh and Davinci mesh tracker are stunning and included in the program. And the full pro Davinci I paid 299 years ago and they still support me on version 18. So please bring your prices down to reality and support your old faithful customers and pay someone to make decent understandable tutorials for Lockdown. Iam done. Got that off my chess!!! P.S. but I still do like Lockdown. Just sayin!
  • Not a bloody word by way of explanation or justification.
  • Having been a massive fan of Lockdown 2, I took the leap in upgrading to Lockdown 3, Alas It doesn't work for me. When I press the popout button All I get is a white screen, I have tried everything, including reinstall etc etc. So for now I thought I would just go back to Lockdown 2. However now Lockdown 2 doesn't work ethier now. A white screen again :(. Sadly I now don't have a working Lockdown of any version. Anyone have any ideas ?

***UPDATE****  After some fiddling I have got it working kinda, still get the white screen but.. If I blindly follow instuctions I dont get any points in the popup but when I go back to the main lockdown it has all worked, just cant really see where to put points....
  • Having been a massive fan of Lockdown 2, I took the leap in upgrading to Lockdown 3, Alas It doesn't work for me. When I press the popout button All I get is a white screen, I have tried everything, including reinstall etc etc. So for now I thought I would just go back to Lockdown 2. However now Lockdown 2 doesn't work ethier now. A white screen again :(. Sadly I now don't have a working Lockdown of any version. Anyone have any ideas ?

***UPDATE****  After some fiddling I have got it working kinda, still get the white screen but.. If I blindly follow instuctions I dont get any points in the popup but when I go back to the main lockdown it has all worked, just cant really see where to put points....
    This is a GPU driver error that has appeared for some users after installing game engines like Unreal or Unity. Please send in a help ticket, we're currently trying to debug with another user.

Cheers
    Chris
  • You're not answering anything at all. Are you only answering what's in your favor?
    Are you just going to leave a no-comment until the furor dies down? We're already customers who paid $250 for your product. What kind of business treats you like this? In Korea, you would have been sued by the KFTC.
  • Hi, you've lost a potential customer here due to the perceived lack of communication/addressing existing customer concern about paying for the upgrade. Does seem a bit steep to basically re-charge for the entire software again. Will hold off for now but check back in future to see if this has been addressed. I'd hate to purchase this then find when the next version comes around that I have to pay full price again. Kind of unheard of.
  • I cant afford to upgrade yet and I cannot find any tutorials for 2.8.7.
  • I cant afford to upgrade yet and I cannot find any tutorials for 2.8.7.
    The Youtube Playlist for Lockdown 2 is here: 
  • There should be an upgrade price.
  • There should be an upgrade price.

Upgrade details here: https://aescripts.com/lockdown#upgrade-notice
  • One of the issues, which I agree is completely justified, are those people who bought more than just Lockdown from Vranos in the past and feel shorted. I have difficulty with the rationalization that, now that the two other plug-ins are free, those who paid him money for those in the past don't deserve any additional discount at all. As if they had always been free. He still received money from those now free plug-ins.

I feel fairly confident I've never seen an upgrade model like this before. Normally, with an upgrade, it's only the software you've had before that you are upgrading to, with a reasonable price. These two other plug-ins have never been part of a discounted bundle that I've ever seen. I'm sure there are MANY people that only want Lockdown and not the other two plug-ins. Hiking up the price by this much and saying two other plug-ins are free doesn't make it look like a bargain for those who only want Lockdown.

I had been considering purchasing this upgrade, but the more I've thought about it, I currently can't justify continuing down this path. First, because I own Lockdown 2 and Composite Brush and there's an insistence on not taking that into consideration for a lower upgrade price, and also because I don't know where else this strange upgrade path will lead in the future.

I'm generally an optimistic person, and I hope this gets addressed in a reasonable manner, but enough time has passed that I'm losing hope. What was once a great, unique piece of software, sold at a reasonable cost, will just lose out to other software alternatives who seem to give more consideration to their customers.
  • I was wondering why Lockdown was just all the sudden not having updates since last October.  Didn't realize I was stuck on version 2 and that there was now an entirely new version 3.  I personally cannot afford this upgrade.  
  • Fair price for existing lockdown 2 owners users will be about 45-72$ Just saying.
    To get all 3 plugins can be additional bundle package.

With hope, lockdown fan & user. 
  • I try to use trial from this site, and in AE (21,22 and 23) on 2 different machines Win 10 problems - when hit popup you see just white screen. You can try to click on "eye icon" and use area to track, than when close window you see track points. But when you open it again - there are no track points. I delete Unreal engine and dont use Unity, my drivers on 3070 is updated. 
  • One of the issues, which I agree is completely justified, are those people who bought more than just Lockdown from Vranos in the past and feel shorted. I have difficulty with the rationalization that, now that the two other plug-ins are free, those who paid him money for those in the past don't deserve any additional discount at all. As if they had always been free. He still received money from those now free plug-ins.

I feel fairly confident I've never seen an upgrade model like this before. Normally, with an upgrade, it's only the software you've had before that you are upgrading to, with a reasonable price. These two other plug-ins have never been part of a discounted bundle that I've ever seen. I'm sure there are MANY people that only want Lockdown and not the other two plug-ins. Hiking up the price by this much and saying two other plug-ins are free doesn't make it look like a bargain for those who only want Lockdown.

I had been considering purchasing this upgrade, but the more I've thought about it, I currently can't justify continuing down this path. First, because I own Lockdown 2 and Composite Brush and there's an insistence on not taking that into consideration for a lower upgrade price, and also because I don't know where else this strange upgrade path will lead in the future.

I'm generally an optimistic person, and I hope this gets addressed in a reasonable manner, but enough time has passed that I'm losing hope. What was once a great, unique piece of software, sold at a reasonable cost, will just lose out to other software alternatives who seem to give more consideration to their customers.
    Well said Craig Kuehne, I suspect some costumers who once used Lockdown will now move over to Mocha. A few years ago I regretted Mr Vranos had not sold Lockdown to a large motion graphic vendor. I still feel this way as it would have assured a reasonable pricing for upgrades; the production of clear, unhurried video tutorials, and the simplifying of Lockdown's convoluted UI. 
  • In the description, they said that they raised the price because it has update feature and includes PaintLink and Composite Brushes, but when I asked if I could get a discount if I already had PaintLink, they said that they couldn't give me a discount because those two plugins(paintlink and coposite brushes) are free giveaway. According to them, only the newly updated Lockdown 3 will cost $400 without 2 plugins(since they said the other two plugins are free giveaways),and existing Lockdown 2 users will have to pay an additional $200 for the update. I've only been using Lockdown 2 for a year, and I'll have to pay a total of $450 to use Lockdown for more than two years. I ask if this is really fair... I'm getting tired of paying a lot of money for plugins, only to have to buy them again a year or so later when the numbers are up. I'm not a professional videographer, I'm just an elementary school teacher who makes educational videos for kids. I buy plugins because they look good for teaching, but I don't use them a lot. If I'm going to pay a lot of money for something I'm going to use for years.(at least 5 year) I'd like to see the plugin makers at least update it so that existing buyers can use it in After Effects, even if it's a newer version of the plugin that's a few years old. I also think that if a plugin is in an existing bundle without being sold as a bundle, it should be removed from the additional discount or price. Why don't you just make it an annual subscription like the Helium plugin? I feel like I'm already paying 200$ a year for it.
    Lee Hansol, you make good points. I do not know where you are based. In any case for customers of this site living in the US, just spare a moment to consider that as an Australian, if I were to purchase Lockdown at the exchange rate today, $400 USD would cost me $761.02 AUD. 
  • Bought the v3 upgrade at the prior user discounted rate- but as I’m 3d in Blender only, waiting to check out more advanced features til hopefully more support for Blender is implemented. As for now the upgrade seems nice, the tracking seems significantly improved, noticeably faster to work with. Glad to support such an amazing tool that’s brought me a lot of more advanced comping work! Would always support an indie dev over a big business any day. To those complaining about the price- it’s 2023- the app was first released in 2018. It’s been upgraded for free many times. Expecting something free or at a near 80% discount is crazy, especially with how many additional features and refinements it has, generationally over the years, including huge leaps from 2-3. Also, on a side note- before I even bought a copy of 2 Chris personally worked me thru a problem shot after I emailed him. He gave me like a 10 minute long tutorial of how to do a shot I was lost on. Who does that? Someone who cares about making and keeping clients. If you ever have any questions or problems with the software he is the kind of guy who cares to handle your concerns directly. I have also seen that one evidenced all over his YouTube and here on the page in the comments. This is a beautiful, extremely useful tool worth supporting. Devs have to eat!
  • After Selecting Lockdown and ctrl Click ....I do not get any tracking points?
  • SL HA said:
    After Selecting Lockdown and ctrl Click ....I do not get any tracking points?
    That's not the way to create points in Lockdown 3, that's how you would do it in Lockdown 1. In the latest version of Lockdown, everything has to be done inside the popout. So you'd select Lockdown, press 'popout' then control click inside the new interface, then press track.

Cheers
    Chris
    Lockdown Creator
  • How do I lockdown 2.5 for AE windows ? I don't want to upgrade.
  • How do I lockdown 2.5 for AE windows ? I don't want to upgrade.
    You can install it using the aescripts manager app. 

It will be listed under Lockdown, (separately from Lockdown 3) when you log in.

Cheers
    Chris
  • Hey Chris, 

When will Lockdown 3 be available for AE 2024? 

Cheers, 

Daniel 
  • Hey Chris, 

When will Lockdown 3 be available for AE 2024? 

Cheers, 

Daniel 
    It already is, I just haven't updated my product compatibility tags. I'll do that...

Cheers
    Chris
  • Does anyone know if the Lockdown 3 issue has been fixed, where as the pop out window just shows white ?  I only ask as I have recently  recently bought a new PC and obvousily Lockdown 3 works great, however In my work flow I use Unreal 5 quite a bit and I want to install it. But I dont want a white Pop out screen again. Anyone any ideas.
  • I see there's a Layer 1 in the UI, how do you get more layers?
    Thanks
  • I see there's a Layer 1 in the UI, how do you get more layers?
    Thanks
    It's a long story, but TLDR, we have not added that feature to the Tracking Tab yet, we're kinda workshopping it in the 3D tab. We actually did finish programming the layer system, if you look in the 3D tab, you can select points, and add them to Transform Groups. You can edit the groups, and select all points from the groups, so this is technically our layer system. But through testing, we didn't really find having layers to be incredibly useful during tracking, and confused beta testers. Most users preferred setting Custom Interpolation on a per-point basis to assigning broadly within the same layer. So in short, the layer system is temporarily in the 3D tab because it very logically makes sense as a way to group exports. But we're not moving it to the main tab, or adding any tracking specific features until we do a bit more testing with it. Sorry that's confusing, I never thought it would take this long to figure that feature out.

Cheers
    Chris
  • Does anyone know if the Lockdown 3 issue has been fixed, where as the pop out window just shows white ?  I only ask as I have recently  recently bought a new PC and obvousily Lockdown 3 works great, however In my work flow I use Unreal 5 quite a bit and I want to install it. But I dont want a white Pop out screen again. Anyone any ideas.
    Sorry I didn't see this message. I think you're ok to install Unreal now. We got rid of almost every single process that had a possible conflict, the only one we couldn't was 'pop out anti-aliasing' which is just a preview, so you might have to shut off anti-aliasing in the popout.
    For the record, we never conclusively found out it was Unreal causing the problem, but it did seem unusual that all the people who had the problem also had Unreal installed. I installed Unreal on my PC and had no issues with Lockdown, so it must be some additional driver install that I never did.

Cheers
    Chris
  • Looks like an awesome plugin but the price is way way way to awesome for me to invest in, you may want to cut down the price and have more customers.
  • Lockdown should be 199€ at max - everything else is pure greed. Sorry developers, but if you continue down this road, your small company will be doomed