Auto Lip-Sync
  • I have this message in AE : "could not run the ae menu command to convert audio to keyframes", what can i do?
  • Hi Ivan,
    which version of Auto Lip-Sync are you using and which language version of After Effects?
    The most recent version 1.08 of Auto Lip-Sync fixed this issue for the Russian version of AE.

Cheers,
    Mathias
  • Great product, Mathias.  Quick question, when I tracked using MochaImport, I got the surface size wrong.  Is there an easy way to update this data without having to start the lip sync wizard again?

Thanks,
    Neal

• Great product, Mathias.  Quick question, when I tracked using MochaImport, I got the surface size wrong.  Is there an easy way to update this data without having to start the lip sync wizard again?

Thanks,
    Neal
    Hi Neal,
    if the location or size of the mouth changes in the comp, you have to run the wizard again, unfortunately. Only it you just want to replace the audio, there is an easy way to update the rig (see http://mamoworld.com/tutorials/auto-lip-sync-how-replace-audio-after-creating-mouth-rig )
  • Hey Mathias, here's a local commercial I made using Auto Lip-sync and MochaImport Plus.  This spot features two cars talking to each other and everyone is really happy with how it turned out.  The tools are really powerful and easy to use once I understood them.  Auto lip-sync was easy, but I didn't know I needed MochaImport for the stabilized precomp. I really think those two should be sold as a package together for anyone needing to apply lips to a moving object.  I'm especially grateful for your tutorials as I would not have been able to complete this in a timely manner without them.  Definitely looking forward to doing more with these.  Thanks!

• Thanks Neal! I just posted it on mamoworld's social media channels.
  • I bought it. But is there a user manual? I need some info on adjusting the elasticity parameters.

Please help. Thank you ;)
  • Hi Paco,
    there is no written documentation but various video tutorials are available here:

If you have a specific question, please ask here or open a support ticket
    Support tickets also end up in my inbox and have the advantage that you can attach screenshots to explain the issue better.

I bought it. But is there a user manual? I need some info on adjusting the elasticity parameters.

Please help. Thank you ;)

• Is there any product like auto eyes? I purchased this one but this doesn't seem to include a feature for eyes. 
  • It's not 100% automatic, but this tutorial shows a workflow for eyes using our "Change At Marker 2D" iExpressions, which is part of the iExpressions Movement Modifier Bundle

The workflow in the tutorial assumes that the eyes are on a separate layer. Alternatively, you can try to open and close the eyes with the liquify effect which is included in Ae. This is how I made the eyes blink for the talking tree example.

The Movement Modifier Bundle is available here ($9.99)

Is there any product like auto eyes? I purchased this one but this doesn't seem to include a feature for eyes. 

• Thank you for the reply.
    I'll definitely consider buying IExpressions as well.
    I'd like to make animating eyes like this video  
    I found a way to make the lip part thanks to Auto lip sync plugin, 
    but I am wondering how I can make eyes like that. 
    I would be very appreciated if you can give me a hint if you know anything about this.
  • three possible solutions:

solution A
    - use an image of the character with no eyes
    - apply a "CC Split 2"  effect to layer and use it to "cut a hole" in the head where the eye is. Then place an image of the eye below the layer of the head. This is similar to adding teeth to an auto lip-sync mouth.

solution B
    create an image in Photoshop of the closed eyes. Whenever the eyes should blink , simply put this image on top of the head for a few frames. This will not really animate the open/close of the eyes, but since this is a very fast movement, it can still be very convincing and is the simplest thing you can do.

solution C
    apply the Liquify effect to the layer and set two keyframes in the distortion mesh. One keyframe you keep entirely unchanged - for the open eyes. on the other keyframe you warp the upper part of the eye downwards and the lower part upwards until the eye itself almost disappeared and looks closed. Now you can copy and paste those two keyframes to open and close the eye over time. Warping the closed eye might not look 100% perfect but again, it is visible just two or three frames and hence will still be convincing.

You can also combine solutions B and C, i.e. first warp a half closed eye for one frame (using C) and then showing a picture of the fully closed eye for one or two frames (using B) then again the half opened eye for one or two frames using C.

Thank you for the reply.
    I'll definitely consider buying IExpressions as well.
    I'd like to make animating eyes like this video  
    I found a way to make the lip part thanks to Auto lip sync plugin, 
    but I am wondering how I can make eyes like that. 
    I would be very appreciated if you can give me a hint if you know anything about this.

• Hey there,

Having trouble installing the test version. Followed the instructions exactly and auto lip-sync is failing to show up in the 'Window' drop down menu. I do have the option for 'Allow scripts to write files selected as well'. Tried putting the file in the 'plugins' program files as well and still no results. Any suggestions?
  • Hi Zach,

here are some things that could go wrong and cause this issue:
    - each version of After Effects has its own "Script UI Panels" folder. So if you have multiple versions installed, make sure to copy the script to the "Script UI Panels" folder of the version you are using
    - make sure to restart After Effects after copying the script file there
    - in newer Ae versions, you can also install the script via the Ae menu entry "File->Scripts->Install Script UI Panel..." (and again restart Ae after doing this)

Hey there,

Having trouble installing the test version. Followed the instructions exactly and auto lip-sync is failing to show up in the 'Window' drop down menu. I do have the option for 'Allow scripts to write files selected as well'. Tried putting the file in the 'plugins' program files as well and still no results. Any suggestions?

• It will be great if there is a new tutorial with the latest version of Mocha AE plugin and stebalized precomps used when the face that you want to animate is moving.  I think this topic should have his own video cause there is a good chance that everyone will face this situation.
  • Hi Juan,

thank you for this suggestion, I will see what I can do. In the meantime, please watch this tutorial, which is not about Auto Lip-Sync, but explains how to create stabilized precomps with the most recent version of Mocha and MochaImport+.

It will be great if there is a new tutorial with the latest version of Mocha AE plugin and stebalized precomps used when the face that you want to animate is moving.  I think this topic should have his own video cause there is a good chance that everyone will face this situation.

• This plugin is very helpful.  Thank you for creating it.  One thing I can't figure out is when adjusting the mask points for the cheeks, it correctly lowers the distortion pull on the sides (similar to in your Tree tutorial), but if I scale in tighter the points above and below the mouth, it has no effect on the upper (nose area) and lower (chin area) distortion.  If I want to lessen the distortion in the areas above and below the mouth, how can I accomplish this in the same way it works for the sides?  Thank you.
  • Thank you for your feedback, Mike!

The warp that Auto Lip-Sync creates is mostly a combination of two effects:
    (A) the "Mouth Split" (based on a CC Split 2 effect)
    (B) the "O-Shape deformation" (based on a Reshape effect)
    The masks should affect all areas of the warp, but has only an influence on effect (B)
    I guess that in the nose and chin areas, the effect (A) has the most impact on the final result and therefore the masks don't make such a big difference. There is no way to fine-tune the deformation of the CC Split (A) unfortunately. The only thing you could try is to use the sliders for upper and lower lip height such that the mouth opens less and hence less deformation happens above and below the mouth.

This plugin is very helpful.  Thank you for creating it.  One thing I can't figure out is when adjusting the mask points for the cheeks, it correctly lowers the distortion pull on the sides (similar to in your Tree tutorial), but if I scale in tighter the points above and below the mouth, it has no effect on the upper (nose area) and lower (chin area) distortion.  If I want to lessen the distortion in the areas above and below the mouth, how can I accomplish this in the same way it works for the sides?  Thank you.

• Thanks.  Yes I have played with all those parameters, but I like having the mouth open more.  The tricky part is that the deformation goes all the way to the bottom and top edges of the 1080p 16x9 frame.  If I work in 4K and pre-comp the mouth area (to speed up rendering), the deformation also pulls all the way to the top/bottom edges, which causes an edge (deformation limit) revealing the borders of the pre-comp in the main comp, because in the main comp there isn't distortion.  Even in your Tree tutorial, you can see the base that the tree is sitting on get pulled out when the mouth (chin) is talking.  Sounds like for now please take this as a feature request for a future version.  Again, thank you for creating this plugin.
    Thank you for your feedback, Mike!

The warp that Auto Lip-Sync creates is mostly a combination of two effects:
    (A) the "Mouth Split" (based on a CC Split 2 effect)
    (B) the "O-Shape deformation" (based on a Reshape effect)
    The masks should affect all areas of the warp, but has only an influence on effect (B)
    I guess that in the nose and chin areas, the effect (A) has the most impact on the final result and therefore the masks don't make such a big difference. There is no way to fine-tune the deformation of the CC Split (A) unfortunately. The only thing you could try is to use the sliders for upper and lower lip height such that the mouth opens less and hence less deformation happens above and below the mouth.

This plugin is very helpful.  Thank you for creating it.  One thing I can't figure out is when adjusting the mask points for the cheeks, it correctly lowers the distortion pull on the sides (similar to in your Tree tutorial), but if I scale in tighter the points above and below the mouth, it has no effect on the upper (nose area) and lower (chin area) distortion.  If I want to lessen the distortion in the areas above and below the mouth, how can I accomplish this in the same way it works for the sides?  Thank you.

• Hi Mike,

yes, this is very valuable feedback. I've added a note to my list of feature requests.

Thanks.  Yes I have played with all those parameters, but I like having the mouth open more.  The tricky part is that the deformation goes all the way to the bottom and top edges of the 1080p 16x9 frame.  If I work in 4K and pre-comp the mouth area (to speed up rendering), the deformation also pulls all the way to the top/bottom edges, which causes an edge (deformation limit) revealing the borders of the pre-comp in the main comp, because in the main comp there isn't distortion.  Even in your Tree tutorial, you can see the base that the tree is sitting on get pulled out when the mouth (chin) is talking.  Sounds like for now please take this as a feature request for a future version.  Again, thank you for creating this plugin.

• Hi,

It no longer works in adobe after effects 2020 cc. How can I update it?

Thanx
  • You always find the most recent version in the “My Downloads & Licenses” section of your aescripts customer account at

Hi,

It no longer works in adobe after effects 2020 cc. How can I update it?

Thanx

• This is an awesome script! One small suggestion (well, maybe not so small!) for improvement might be to have an option to use RE:Vision Warp for the deformations instead of AE's native Reshape effect. Warp is a lot faster to render and produces more accurate deformations in my experience,
  • Hi Dan,

this is an interesting idea! I've put it on my list of feature requests.

This is an awesome script! One small suggestion (well, maybe not so small!) for improvement might be to have an option to use RE:Vision Warp for the deformations instead of AE's native Reshape effect. Warp is a lot faster to render and produces more accurate deformations in my experience,

• Hello.

Thank you for having updated this tool all these years; I was wondering if an apple silicon native version was in the works.

Cheers,
    Filippo.
  • Hi Filippo,

Auto Lip-Sync is an After Effects script and uses effects that are part of After Effects iself. Therefore, it renders natively on Apple Silicon automatically when After Effects itself is native on Apply Silicon :-)

Hello.

Thank you for having updated this tool all these years; I was wondering if an apple silicon native version was in the works.

Cheers,
    Filippo.

• purchased this, but do you have a video or instructions on moving faces other than apply to a still and then animating that with a mask it's not as clean and effecitent workflow. I noticed is wizard it  says...
    - If the face is moving, create a stabilized precomp with MochaImport+ and create the rig inside the precomp.
    I understand MochaImport is another plugin, but can you explain the whole process using just the mocha that comes with AE + that plugin + plus lip-sync
  • Hi Kyle,
    this tutorial describes the process:
    Note that it uses an older version of mocha and MochaImport+. Here is a more recent tutorial showing how to create stabilized precomps:

purchased this, but do you have a video or instructions on moving faces other than apply to a still and then animating that with a mask it's not as clean and effecitent workflow. I noticed is wizard it  says...
    - If the face is moving, create a stabilized precomp with MochaImport+ and create the rig inside the precomp.
    I understand MochaImport is another plugin, but can you explain the whole process using just the mocha that comes with AE + that plugin + plus lip-sync

• Hi.
    About Auto Lip-Sync.
    Since I Upgraded to After Effects 23.2, The license is now checked every time AE is started.
    Will this be fixed?

The plugin itself seems to work fine.
    Thanks for read.
  • Hi Kosuke,
    do you have any antivirus installed and does it maybe block the license check process somehow?
    Does it work if you disable any anitivirus temporarily?

Best open a support ticket here

Hi.
    About Auto Lip-Sync.
    Since I Upgraded to After Effects 23.2, The license is now checked every time AE is started.
    Will this be fixed?

The plugin itself seems to work fine.
    Thanks for read.

• [SOLVED] if you deselect layer before going to step 3 it works fine.

Stuck at step 3. It creates 2 "Audio Amplitude" layers, and then says "convert audio to keyframes failed."
    I run Keyframe Assistant manually, and try to continue and it still says "Please run the keyframes assistant to generate the audioamplitude layer before you continue." Any thoughts?
  • Hi Nick,
    great to hear that you could solve the issue already!

Nick D. Clements said:
    [SOLVED] if you deselect layer before going to step 3 it works fine.

Stuck at step 3. It creates 2 "Audio Amplitude" layers, and then says "convert audio to keyframes failed."
    I run Keyframe Assistant manually, and try to continue and it still says "Please run the keyframes assistant to generate the audioamplitude layer before you continue." Any thoughts?

• hello Mathias,

Is the tutorial for auto lip-sync about the talking car still somewhere available? The link that is given currently goes to a website that does not have this tutorial (anymore). At least, I couldn't find it.

Thank you,
    Theo
  • Thank you for the hint, Theo! I just updated the link in the video description.
    Here is is again:

Cheers,
    Mathias

hello Mathias,

Is the tutorial for auto lip-sync about the talking car still somewhere available? The link that is given currently goes to a website that does not have this tutorial (anymore). At least, I couldn't find it.

Thank you,
    Theo

• Thanks!!!!

Thank you for the hint, Theo! I just updated the link in the video description.
    Here is is again:

Cheers,
    Mathias

hello Mathias,

Thank you,
    Theo

• Can the settings for the mouth be copied from scene to scene and reused without having to re-create the mouth each time?
  • Hi Joshua,

yes,  see this tutorial:

Can the settings for the mouth be copied from scene to scene and reused without having to re-create the mouth each time?

• Hi Joshua,

yes,  see this tutorial:

Can the settings for the mouth be copied from scene to scene and reused without having to re-create the mouth each time?

Thanks. :)
  • Hi is this still being supported? Thanks
  • Hi James,
    yes, we offer support and it work with the current version of After Effects.

Hi is this still being supported? Thanks