Un-PreCompose
  • It's not possible for me to 'decompse' more than one precomp at a time? This makes it very tedious for jobs with a number of precomps. Is this / will this be possible?
  • i spent forever trying to figure out how to get this command to run with a short cut, there's probably a way to script it, but i couldnt figure it out easily, this is way easier

i know it doesn't really solve your problem, but i thought it might help, made my life a whole lot easier

i found out you can create your own shortcuts to any menu option in an application using the OSX system prefs/keyboards

this tells you how to do it
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ph3957
  • Hi, in this version of the plug-in, it is not possible to run unPrecompose on multiple compositions, but I will try to get an update out soon that allows you to do this. Definitely a good idea.

• Hi Jesse, Is there a way to prevent the renaming of 'nulls' when a comp is un-precomped? In my example I have a comp containing 3 nulls named "Target 1", "Target 2", etc. When I run your plugin, they all get renamed to "Null 1" Thoughts? Thanks!
  • I haven't seen that issue before. I'll look into it and get back to you
  • Just purchased this and it doesn't behave as expected.

I have a simple comp setup where my precomp has been scaled down in the parent comp. Using unprecompose on both modes doesn't place the precomped layers into the parent in the same postion. No effects or animations are applied to the precomp layer. Layers are 2D.

Hope you can help remedy this.
    Thanks
  • Just came to the comments to ask a question and saw it was already asked(!): Is there a way this can work on multiple comp layers at once?

I hate when I create a Dynamic Link comp from Premiere and it comes in by default with every layer precomposed. Thankfully, this plugin helps me undo that, but it can be very tedious to un-precompose each layer when there are several layers coming across.

Otherwise, love the plugin, it's become an essential one for me!
    Thanks
  • Hi, Great script, use it all the time. For instance, I import a photoshop file as a flat layer and then use the convert to layered comp command to bring the layers in when I need to. I then use this script to bring the layers in the main comp.

I noticed however that AE 2015 crashes often when undoing this action.  
  • I would love it if it worked as advertised.
    For us, it doesn't take into account the composition's anchor point, so the result is shifted, compared to the original.
    Also hold keyframes become linear interpolations.
    Seeing it hasn't been updated for ages, I'm worried that it was a waste of money.
    I wish I had checked the version history before purchasing...
  • Doesn't work if the pre-comp is modified with scale and position - tried both modes and neither worked correctly. I get the feeling that the plugin needs to be updated to work with CC2017, as the parenting described in the video was only for one layer (which to me implied it failed silently, and the rest of the code did not run).

Effectively the only use can be more easily achieved simply by copy / pasting the layers from the pre-comp.
  • It would be nice if you could select multiple layers and Un-precompose all of them in one go. That's kinda what I got this for, assuming that's what it did.
  • I purchased this to move my character rig comps into another comp without breaking expressions. It doesn't work for that but I guess I can see myself using it for more simple usages down the road.
  • Hi! If the pre-composition does not start at frame zero (e.g. frame 100), the layers in the pre-composition are placed according to their in/out points in the pre-composition after the script. This means that instead of starting at frame 100, the layers start at frame 0. It would be very helpful if the temporal offset of the precomp is taken into account when uncomposing. 
  • This seems to no longer work as of CC19 :( 
  • Cam Vokey said:
    This seems to no longer work as of CC19 :( 
    Looks like it's working for me.
  • This is a really helpful plugin! Thank you!!
    ( Hopefully you'll be able to keep it working for future releases :) )
  • Do you have a try before you buy option?
  • I find this really handy..but Im working on a mac (os 10.15.6) and Catalina security wont let me install it. Any chance of an update to make it work? Ta!
  • Getting this plug in (and most others) to work in AE 2020:

1. Open and unlock system preferences- security & privacy 
    2. open AE 2020
    3. hit cancel when it asks to delete or cancel 
    4 tab back to your sys pref hit the tab that says open anyways
    5. you will get an error message in AE click OK
    6 close AE and then reopen
    7 now it asks to delete open or cancel
    8 hit open
    9 enjoy.
  • I find this really handy..but Im working on a mac (os 10.15.6) and Catalina security wont let me install it. Any chance of an update to make it work? Ta!
    Please review our Catalina FAQ:  https://aescripts.com/knowledgebase/index/view/faq/macos-10-15-catalina-notice/

If you’re still having difficulty, please open a support ticket

• not working 2021

• Would love this effect to be updated. If this process could be remade in script form, even better, it would be great to integrate into a workflow that pulled apart Photoshop layers and un-precomposed them all in one, I have currently integrated your plugin into the rd_batchconvertlayer script. it works well but has issues with Undo's. 
  • Casn't believe I paid for this only to find out it doesn't work in 2021! Please update.
  • Un-Precomose doesn't show up when right-clicking on the comp, but it DOES show up in the Layer menu. My bad!
    This is a very handy tool that I expect I will be using often. Thanks.
  • Will there be support fot AE 2022 on macOS?

• Folks, if you are not able to find it in AE 2022, here is a tip.
    Make sure your pre-comp is selected. and go to Layer > un-PreCompose.

• I know this script is now from over a decade ago... but I didn't realize how much I've actually come to rely on it. So much so that I guess I actually thought it had become part of After Effects! Imagine my shock and horror as it no longer seems to work in the After Effects M1 Beta... (yes even with the tricks below!)

I guess my pitch is, it would be amazing to keep this plugin going, it's really basic functionality that really ought to be built right in to AE (**cough cough Adobe CC fees that go into hiring celebrity hosts for adobe max when they should be getting spent of development**)
  • Updates are in the works. There are a bunch of mac-related updates that needed to be made and since its been about 12 years since I wrote this, there's a lot of work to do. I'll get the updates our ASAP.
  • Hey Thor, I still cannot find it on After Effects 2022. I've used before on 2020, but never heard of only appearing when the comp is selected.
    How did you installed it on 2022?
    Folks, if you are not able to find it in AE 2022, here is a tip.
    Make sure your pre-comp is selected. and go to Layer > un-PreCompose.

• Hey Thor, I still cannot find it on After Effects 2022. I've used before on 2020, but never heard of only appearing when the comp is selected.
    How did you installed it on 2022?

Install it using our manager app: https://aescripts.com/learn/aescripts-aeplugins-manager-app/
  • Hi, I just paid for this plugin only to find it's not working in new ae update. Could you please update?
  • Hi, I just paid for this plugin only to find it's not working in new ae update. Could you please update?
    If you need assistance, please open a support ticket
  • I rely on this daily but it is not working in AE 2022 M1 native macOS. Any hope for an update?
  • I rely on this daily but it is not working in AE 2022 M1 native macOS. Any hope for an update?
  • While updates are being considered, I've noticed that the dialog does not stay matched with the UI color settings; the text and buttons automatically update but the background does not, so it's very difficult to read the text in darker settings.
  • I rely on this "daily" but it is not working in AE 2022 M1 native macOS. Any hope for an update? :)
  • Oh no ! Not working on my M1 !!!! what to do???
  • Can this be added to Kbar? I havent been able to figure it out myself, and I can't seem to find anyone who has done it. 
  • Any updates in the works?
  • Thank you for the update. I appreciate your hardwork.
  • Any updates in the works?
    The update has been posted. Check the 'My Downloads & Licenses' (https://aescripts.com/downloadable/customer/products/) section in your user account or use the aescripts + aeplugins manager app: https://aescripts.com/learn/aescripts-aeplugins-manager-app/ If you need assistance please open a support ticket: https://aescripts.com/contact/?product_id=149
  • Hi! I was getting this error alert that would pop up and id have to click to close it over and over. It would happen every time i would use the arrow keys tobrowse the library panel, right click on assets in the lbirary panel, or go through the menus on the top bar. I'm on Macbook M1 2022, AE 2023 by the way
  • This is a great plugin. Is there a way to unprecompose more than one level? So extract nested comps in nested comps?
  • There's a problem with the plugin? after installing, either manually or using 'aescripts + aeplugins' client, the plugin doesn't appear anywhere inside AE.
  • There's a problem with the plugin? after installing, either manually or using 'aescripts + aeplugins' client, the plugin doesn't appear anywhere inside AE.
    I'm having the same problem, even after installin manually. [EDIT] I found it on Layer Panel > Unprecompose. Although, It should be quicker to do it with just right clicking, but in my case, it doesn't appear when doing that... (dunno what's causing it to not appear when right click a composition)
  • How to find the command ID of this?
    I'm using kbar to call up this menu item but it doesnt appear. wondering if there is a command iD?
  • Hi, is it normal behaviour for the layers to lose their in and out points when unprecomposing? For instance, if I have layers in sequence inside the composition, when I unprecompose they all start at the beggining of the composition's In point, and end where they are supposed to start in the sequence... They don't stay in sequence
  • There is always "After Effects error: CLayeritem::GetCLayerPtr:`cIayerP` is null" showing after un-precompose, but the plugins still doing its works. And if support multi precompose selected will be greate!
  • mfk app said:
    There is always "After Effects error: CLayeritem::GetCLayerPtr:`cIayerP` is null" showing after un-precompose, but the plugins still doing its works. And if support multi precompose selected will be greate!

If you need assistance please open a support ticket: https://aescripts.com/contact/?product_id=149