• Hi Markus, thanks for your quick reply.

I don't recall being asked how the panel looks when I first launched GEOlayers.  I've just tried removing GEOLayers and reinstalling and I get the same problem, with no prompt about how the panel looks, and when I looked for the prefs file it wasn't there:

Any ideas how I can fix this?

Thanks,
    Phil
  • Hi Phil,

OK, we'll figure out whats wrong on your side!

Please open a Support Ticket (https://aescripts.com/contact/) Gonna use it to send you a prefs file which will force fixed palette size.

Cheers

Markus 

• Thanks Markus - done - ticket #1025983
  • I think I have found the cause of the problem - although I don't have a high DPI display as such (which maybe explains why I'm not getting the prompt about whether the panel looks right), I do have my desktop text scaled up in order to make it easier to read (see screenshot below), because I have 27" monitors.  When I changed this back to 100% the GEOlayers panel displayed correctly.

Hopefully the prefs file you're going to send to force the pallette size will overcome this :-)

Thanks,
    Phil

• hi
    i'm loving the app, but before i delve further i wanted to ask about usage rights. i understand that using attribution makes them free, but i am working on a feature project and having the attribution onscreen with the map image isn't possible. i have seen instances where attributions can be part of the film end credits. do you know if this is possible with the servers you use? or can you point me towards info on that? 
    cheers
    bruce

• Hi Bruce,
    I know that bing desn't allow it. They require attribution while the imagery is shown. not afterwards in the credits or some. You need to get in touch with the provider if you want to get rid of it. I think Mapbox offers paid solutions without attribution. But I cant give you details on this, sorry. Other Idea would be ESRI. Their servers are not implemented by default. But its not a big deal to add them. Hope that helps a bit. 
    Best
    Markus
  • thanks markus! appreciate your input!
    cheers
    b
  • Is there a way to get a night map/Sat view of the earth?
  • I made a map production template for my colleagues to use for daily news production. I was able to stuff the entire "world" Geojson shapes into one 3000x3000 comp. I did this without any optimization turned on. Then I did the same with just the borders at.5 pixels so that I have both the unselected land fill and the borders as separate layers.
    These layers are driven by the geolayer 1 comp acting as a "null" object to control pan and zoom.It is a "no download" map style
    So now the artists just need to do a search for the country(s) they need to highlight, add those as new shape layers with the highlight fill color, and be sure they are between the fill and the border layers. Specific cities can be placed by locating them with a locator null and attaching the locator dot to it. Zoom is maxed at 30 on the 3dpoint attribute of the geolayer so things fit in the output comp.
    This is then pushed into a regular HD sized output comp where the labels are added.
    Since we rarely go in any closer than just the country it is a very fast workflow and a map can be done in only a few moments.
    As a side benefit the different continent groups can be turned off to speed things up a bit. For instance you don't need north and south america turned on if you are doing a map of an African country.
    PS if anyone has a good source for country regions, US states, rivers and stuff like that let me know!
    I got mine from NASA
  • Hey Bill, 
    Sounds like a pretty cool workflow for political maps! No need for finalization and imagery download. So good for quick daily news jobs! And you can still use the search and add georeferenced stuff. Have a look here to find more geojson data for the US:

Rivers and stuff is a bit more complicated. You can download .shp files from natural earth (http://www.naturalearthdata.com/) and convert them to geojson using mapshaper.org. But you should have a look at filesizes. The datasets there are pretty large.

Cheers
    Markus

• Now I'm working on a street level solution using the Stamen Stack. Right now the deal killer seems to be the non adjustable font size. All the labels are at about 8 pixel high text, so pretty useless for broadcast. I hate to think that I (we) would have to manually label everything !!!
    Also it is not possible to turn off secondary roads, alley ways, or anything else so you get it all, which ends up looking awfully cluttered (Baghdad Iraq map):

Map example.png
    1024 x 576 - 1M
  • Hey Bill,
    Maybe you should check Mapbox out. There you have more control. You can change font sizes and tell different elements in which zoomlevel-range things like secondary roads should be drawn. Note that only Mapbox Classic is supported at the moment.
    Regards
    Markus
    I got mine from NASA

Through the the Geolayers plugin? Is that what you mean? I have a PNG of night earth from NASA but I want to use the zoom overlay of Geolayers.
  • Hi,
    is there a way to generate an equirectangular projection map (360-180)?
    I'm trying to use GeoLayers for generating a animated map for a globe with Element3D.
    Thanks...
    Akira

• Hi Markus,
    I just bought Geolayers recently and am working on an animation fly to & from 8 locations in the United States.  When finalizing I am getting an error that I have too many tiles, over 2500 and to either lower quality or split the map.  How can I split the map, duplicate layer, without losing all my keyframes, labels, etc. in the expression?  Thanks for any help!  -Kevin
  • Hi,
    I'm trying to use GeoLayers for generating a animated map for a globe with Element3D.
    Thanks...
    Akira

Hi Akira, No not with GEOlayers or AE itself. You could just create a large comp and any tool to reproject it. Don't know if this suits your needs or if you want to zoom in pretty far. 
    You can find satelite textures equirectangular here:

Hi Markus,
    I just bought Geolayers recently and am working on an animation fly to & from 8 locations in the United States.  When finalizing I am getting an error that I have too many tiles, over 2500 and to either lower quality or split the map.  How can I split the map, duplicate layer, without losing all my keyframes, labels, etc. in the expression?  Thanks for any help!  -Kevin
    I Kevin, you can let your mapcomp how it is with all its labels and stuff. Just shorten the out point of it, create another mapcomp with the same server profile, link its view to your first one and adapt its in point. Note that GEOlayers just looks between in and out point of a mapcomp finalizing. But be careful this amount of layers is pretty heavy. Try setting down the quality a bit. 70% is way enough for most cases.

Cheers
    Markus
  • Hi,

can i run and use all the features of the GEOlayers from jsx file?
    Thanks
    Yakov
  • Hi,

I'm presently working on a map of New Zealand using Bing Map. I don't have any tiles downloaded east of the country, Pacific side. Eithter Toner and Nasa map gives me tiles.  I there a way to manage to have those tiles?
    Thanks in advance,
    Julien
  • Hi Yakov,

Yes thats all you need. Grab the trial version and check it out.

Hey Julien,

Answered your question in the Support Ticket you opened.

Cheers

Markus

• Thanks Markus

I already bought the script,

i manage to run the GEOlayes script by using this code:

var STL = new File ("c:/Program Files/Adobe/Adobe After Effects CC 2014/Support Files/Scripts/ScriptUI Panels/GEOlayers.jsxbin")

STL.open('r')

eval(STL.read())

how do i create a new Layer and load a new *.geojson file into the GEOlayers using adobe scripting.

Thanks

Yakov

• Hey Yakov,

Sorry I got you wrong on your first comment few days ago. GEOlayers' functions can not be accessed from within another script. What is your intention behind it? Maybe I can help. Please open a Support Ticket therefor (https://aescripts.com/contact/)

Cheers

Markus 

• Hi markus

do you offer any EDU discounts for students for non commercial use?
  • Hello, I have a pretty urgent question- if I have a project file that I finalized but neglected to collect, is it possible to re-download the tiles? The "finalize" button is greyed out, I can't figure out how to get it to look at the correct layer

**Edit** I actually got it to look at the correct layer, set it to 100% and hit finalize but now there are a ton of files still missing, what can I do about this??
  • Hi ryan, please remove the missing footage tiles from your project. You can simply delete the tiles folder. Then finalize again and it should work. Note that 70% is good enough for most cases and speeds finalization up a bit.
    Regards
    Markus
  • Hi,
    Thanks...
    Akira

Akira (and others) who have been looking for an easy solution to "warp" the GeoLayers default map into something that is Mercator/Equirectangular projection, look for my download link below to an After Effects project where I manually warped GeoLayers to match.
    and then I used that inside of an After Effects comp along with mesh warp to warp the GeoLayers layer to match fairly closely to the NASA map. This is by no means geometrically or mathematically accurate, I just whipped it together in 20 minutes. But it's a quick fix for something that I think should be a feature inside of GEOLayers. Markus?? ;) There are lots of people wanting to use GEOLayers to map onto a sphere, but because of the default mapping projection, that doesn't happen the right way 'out of the box'. Hope this helps!!
    Just to be clear, the only layer that matters in this project is the Mesh Warp adjustment layer. I went with a 6000x6000 pixel comp - but you could go smaller. Simply place your own fully zoomed out GEOLayers (I found 0,0,19.8 to be the proper LatLongZoom position in the GEOLayers layer) underneath that adjustment layer, make sure the adjustment layer is the same size as your comp, and you should be good to go!

• Hi Andrew, thanks for that tip. I'll have a look at the project. That would be a pretty cool feature for sure! Maybe I can pick this up for version 2... ;) 
    Thanks again!
    Best
    Markus
  • Hi,

We have been using GeoLayers on a large project.  I wanted to speak with somebody about crediting you guys.  Is there a way I can speak directly with somebody at GeoLayers about this?

• Hi,

We have been using GeoLayers on a large project.  I wanted to speak with somebody about crediting you guys.  Is there a way I can speak directly with somebody at GeoLayers about this?

Hi Derek,

That would be me I guess;) Just send me a PM!

Best

Markus

• Hi
    I have the same problem on my new PC.
    Thanks

<blockquote rel="Phil Bearman"><br></blockquote><blockquote rel="Phil Bearman">Hi Markus,<br><br>I've just downloaded GeoLayers to try it out, and there seems to be a bug in the way the UI Panel is being rendered.&nbsp; I can't see the Finalise, Preferences or Help icons, even when I resize the window.&nbsp; I've recorded a short screen capture to demonstrate this:&nbsp; <a href="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1388508/geolayers-panelbug.mp4">https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1388508/geolayers-panelbug.mp4</a><br><br>I'm on Windows 7, and have the same problem in AE CC2014 and CC2015.<br><br>Any ideas what's causing this?&nbsp; I'd really like to use GEOLayers on a job this week so a quick response would be much appreciated!<br><br>Thanks,<br>Phil</blockquote>
  • I think I have found the cause of the problem - although I don't have a high DPI display as such (which maybe explains why I'm not getting the prompt about whether the panel looks right), I do have my desktop text scaled up in order to make it easier to read (see screenshot below), because I have 27" monitors.  When I changed this back to 100% the GEOlayers panel displayed correctly.

Hopefully the prefs file you're going to send to force the pallette size will overcome this :-)

Thanks,
    Phil

Hi Yakov,

Above is what Phil found out. Also when you're on Windows using high-dpi Displays this Problem occurs. Therefore you should be asked by GEOlayers weather you want to use fixed size palettes. You can also find this setting in GEOlayers general prefs. Let me know if it helps!

Best Markus

• I can confirm the palette resizing issue Flavio and Jeffrey had when initializing the script through the Window menu. Like Markus advised above, problem does resolve for me simply by initializing via File -> Scripts.

Running AE CC 2015 via Win 7 x64
  • Hey Markus, 

First off, amazing work with this plugin! It's incredible.

I'm having a problem with my overlay layer. It floats around like it's not in the correct z-space or something. Way too much parallax. 

Any tips on how I might fix this? 

Thanks!
  • Hey Markus, 

First off, amazing work with this plugin! It's incredible.

I'm having a problem with my overlay layer. It floats around like it's not in the correct z-space or something. Way too much parallax. 

Any tips on how I might fix this? 

Thanks!
    Hi Mason,

Guess you're working with MIR? In this case create all your overlays in the texture comp.

Regards
    Markus
  • Hi!

Definitely gonna convince work to get me this one ;) quick question—would/could you recommend a good source for geojson files? Something reputable, that you use? Just curious.

Cheers!
    Mark
  • Hey mark,
    Cool, hope it's gonna save you some time. Depends on what stuff you need. Actually mapzen.com has a lot of stuff based on osm.
    Cheers
    Markus
  • Hello,
    I just bought Geo, and it is really great.
    I fellow the tuto 

GEOlayers Tutorial: 04 Trapcode MIR

And I have the last version of MIR 2, every things seems OK until the Fractal amplitude. The menu are not the same as in Tuto, and when I move the Amplitude (Only 0 To 100) nothing happens. I also try to link the expression Amplitude and Scale, as you show it, but no change :(
    Can you tell me what are the parameters for the new version of Mir 2, may be there is a new tuto ?
    Thanks a lot for Help, as I need it for a project,
    Michel
  • Hello,

We have multiple uses of GeoLayers in one video.  Can we give all credit at the end of the piece rather than overlayed on each individual graphic?  Please let me know if this is acceptable or what we need to do in order to credit in this manor.

Our time is getting very limited so I'd really appreciate a response.

Thanks,

Derek
  • Hey Michel,

I'll have a look on this and let you know! 

Derek,

I can't answer you on this issue. You need to get in touch with the map provider you're using. I know that bing doesn't allow attribution only in the credits. 

Cheers
    Markus
  • Hello,

Congratulation for your script.

Incredibly powerfull.

I'm looking for some geojson files of switzerland, Swiss Cantons and Municipalities, and all big towns in europe and united States. I've you got an idear for where i could find it ?

Thank you so much

Nicolas

• Hi Nicolas,

have a look at mapzen.com... They've got a lot stuff based on OSM.

Cheers
    Markus
  • I always have trouble with this tool. 
    Downloaded latest version hoping some ”bugs“ were solved :(

latest error i get:

'GEOlayers_comp_1' is not existing in your project

error downloading Imagery Metadata

error connecting to dev.virtualearth.net:80

GEOlayers 1.082 running on AE 13.6.1x6

this sucks!

• Hi Radek,

I can understand your frustrsation. If you want, you can open a support ticket (https://aescripts.com/contact/) and attach your AE project file. I'll have a look whats wrong with it. 

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Cheers
    Markus
  • What's the Trial limitation?

• What's the Trial limitation?

Hi Michael,

the trial offers only 1 mapcomp per AE Project, and doesn't allow to import additional geospatial files. It's also limited to 14 day and/or 10 launches.

Cheers
    Markus

• Hi,

We've had a few problems at my studio pulling from Mapbox as of late, is there anything that changed? We're getting blank tile downloads of sat imagery through the mapstack.

Thanks,
    Brian
  • Hi Brian,

As far as I know the classic maps should work. Their new stuff is not supported at the moment, since it's a different technology behind the scenes. Is the imagery available when you check the map online on mapbox itself? For further help please open a support ticket.(https://aescripts.com/contact/)

Cheers
    Markus
  • Ah thanks Markus, I guess we were having trouble pulling down mapbox sat through the stamen mapstack. Giving us lots of blank titles.

Thanks,
    brian
  • I'm having problems with the panel. I am running on a 4k monitor with a resolution of 3840x2160 and my GEOlayers panel is cutting off the a lot of the panels content. If I resize the window it actually cuts off even more (see attached images. 
    Is this a known issue and is there a fix for this?

• Hi Craig,

This is a known Bug in AE. Did you get asked by GEOlayers weather you want your Panel size to be fixed? This solves the Problem. If you have a chance to open the prefs you can find the Setting also there. If not please open a Support Ticket (https://aescripts.com/contact/) and we'll fix it in your prefs file.

Cheers

Markus

This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions