CompsFromSpreadsheet 5
  • Hi Michael,

Can you run this from the command line? I'd like to automate end page versioning at our company and it would be convenient to run this from an AppleScript without opening AE.
  • I was wondering about this feature as well. That would be wonderful
  • What's a good way to have it not duplicate precomps?

I see the feature "Don't duplicate Template and Pre Comps", but unfortunately this doesn't let it duplicate the template comp either, which seems to defeat the whole point? It's not helpful for it to keep overwriting its changes in one comp, adding that same comp to the render queue multiple times.

Can it be changed just to "Don't duplicate Pre Comps"?
  • What's a good way to have it not duplicate precomps?

I see the feature "Don't duplicate Template and Pre Comps", but unfortunately this doesn't let it duplicate the template comp either, which seems to defeat the whole point? It's not helpful for it to keep overwriting its changes in one comp, adding that same comp to the render queue multiple times.

Can it be changed just to "Don't duplicate Pre Comps"?
    My experience if useful: Aside from the main template comp, it only duplicates precomps with a ! at the start of the comp name, because they have unique data loaded into them. Other precomps aren't duplicated at all, so I can still make global changes to them (V5.14)
  • Help me please.
    I need following behavior.
    In AE I have shape layer (rectangle)

In Excel i CAN make table with following data
    - color (RGB, HEX, e.t.c.)
    - time

The question is:
    Does SpreadsheetFromExcel allows
    1. Change color according my values from Excel?
    2. Add keyframe in desired position from Excel?

If "Yes" - give me some workflow for it (i never worked with this script).
    See attached picture.
    AEExcel.jpg
    1210 x 861 - 255K
  • The question is:
    Does SpreadsheetFromExcel allows
    1. Change color according my values from Excel?
    2. Add keyframe in desired position from Excel?

If "Yes" - give me some workflow for it (i never worked with this script).
    See attached picture.
    You cannot add keyframes; but you can set color from the spreadsheet using a little expression voodoo.

You can download a sample project with the expression here https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jgivyOFbFeOUMoDxATvrvcGyR8Y9Vzro

The expression in the fill effect on "red solid 1"  gets the color value from text layer 1

When you make your own expression, make sure you reference the layer number and not name of the text layer  as the name will change; for example, the first line of my expression references the text from its position in the comp, it is the first layer so it gets layer(1) like this

hex = thisComp.layer(1).text.sourceText;// DO THIS WAY

I could have used the name of the layer instead of index like this

hex = thisComp.layer("#ffffff").text.sourceText;  //DONT DO

but when the script runs and changes the value of the text layer the expression will break.

• Is there an issue special characters. 

It's falling over this 
    BIG_Iceland - IN_[0000-0012].tga

Is there anything I can do about this ???
  • Is there an issue special characters. 

It's falling over this 
    BIG_Iceland - IN_[0000-0012].tga

Is there anything I can do about this ???
    Alex,
    This is most likely a problem when you convert to tab-delimited text.
    When you convert your spreadsheet, instead of selecting tab-delimited text, choose utf-8

This should preserve your characters and still create it in the tab delimited format (exel does this, if using a different program YMMV)
  • Hi Michael,

Love the script! The trial is working fantastically so far. Question for you: is it possible to have the script adjust the length of a file layer (preceded by ">") to match the length of the content? 

For example, I have a layer in AE named ">selfie_video" that I would like to replace with user generated content. Problem is one person might send me 10 seconds of video and the other might send 30 seconds. Is there a way to make the layer automatically lengthen or shorten to match the total run time of the submitted video?

Thanks!
  • Hi Michael,

Love the script! The trial is working fantastically so far. Question for you: is it possible to have the script adjust the length of a file layer (preceded by ">") to match the length of the content? 

For example, I have a layer in AE named ">selfie_video" that I would like to replace with user generated content. Problem is one person might send me 10 seconds of video and the other might send 30 seconds. Is there a way to make the layer automatically lengthen or shorten to match the total run time of the submitted video?

Thanks!
    Hi Jimmy,

Do you mean that you want the length of the comp to match the length of an imported video file? You can definitely do that, you just add a ~ after the name, so if you have

>selfie_video

then you would make that

>selfie_video~

The main comps duration will match the duration of the video imported from the "selfie_video" column when you run the script.

Let me know if this helps or if you meant something else.

Thanks,
    Mike
  • Hi Michael,
    Thanks!
    Hi Jimmy, Do you mean that you want the length of the comp to match the length of an imported video file? You can definitely do that, you just add a ~ after the name, so if you have >selfie_video then you would make that >selfie_video~ The main comps duration will match the duration of the video imported from the "selfie_video" column when you run the script. Let me know if this helps or if you meant something else. Thanks, Mike Thanks for the quick, reply! I did mean something slightly different. I have a few additional layers following the >selfie_video layer so I can't set the total composition length to match just the selfie layer. Here's the step-by-step of what I'm trying to accomplish:
    1. import the Selfie video (working great)
    2. replace >selfie_video layer (working great)
    3. adjust length of >selfie_video layer to match total run time of selfie video file (Currently, videos longer than >selfie_video layer are truncated)
    4. align following layers to begin as soon as >selfie_video ends.

Does that make sense? Is it possible to use your script to assemble pieces with variable video lengths or is it best suited for projects with fixed TRTs?

Thank you!
  • Thanks for the quick, reply! I did mean something slightly different. I have a few additional layers following the >selfie_video layer so I can't set the total composition length to match just the selfie layer. Here's the step-by-step of what I'm trying to accomplish:
    1. import the Selfie video (working great)
    2. replace >selfie_video layer (working great)
    3. adjust length of >selfie_video layer to match total run time of selfie video file (Currently, videos longer than >selfie_video layer are truncated)
    4. align following layers to begin as soon as >selfie_video ends.

Does that make sense? Is it possible to use your script to assemble pieces with variable video lengths or is it best suited for projects with fixed TRTs?

Thank you!
    In your template comp make your >selfie_video layer  the entire length of the comp (If you are using an actual video layer and it is not long enough, replace this with a solid that is the same size and position and make this your >selfie_Video layer in the template,  when it is replaced it will be the lenght of the imported video file

as for realigning layers that follow, there it no direct way; but I think you could accomplish this using expressions on the time remap property and backtime it from the comp.length property.  I could help you with this if you're not an expressions guy
  • Is it possible to change an image in a precomp, and render the parent comp?
  • Is it possible to change an image in a precomp, and render the parent comp?

Yes. In the precomp, set the layer to change as you normally would ( with a # or > ). In the main comp, change the layer name of the precomp to begin with a ! This tells the script to look in that precomp for layers to change.
  • Thank you Michael for your earlier reply.
    If i were to nest my Precomp in a precomp, what is the logic i use to tell the plugin?

Do i put a ! before the precomp layer in the precomp

eg
    MainCompToBeRendered
    -- !precomp
    --!precomp
    --#assetToBeSwapped

• Thank you Michael for your earlier reply.

If i were to nest my Precomp in a precomp, what is the logic i use to tell the plugin?

Do i put a ! before the precomp layer in the precomp

eg
    MainCompToBeRendered
    -- !precomp
    --!precomp
    --#assetToBeSwapped

Absolutely!
  • Any word on cc2019 compatibillity?
  • Hi,

I'm using the Trial Version before I decide to purchase the full scirpt. I'm using it on Mac with Ae2017 and I'm having an issue where I have to manually select each image because the script says it can't find it. Is this just a limited feature on the trial or what's the deal? I've set the path correctly and I've even tried writing the full path/ file name into my excel sheet. It still gives me the same error to manually select each image when I run the script.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Brett

• Hi,

I'm using the Trial Version before I decide to purchase the full scirpt. I'm using it on Mac with Ae2017 and I'm having an issue where I have to manually select each image because the script says it can't find it. Is this just a limited feature on the trial or what's the deal? I've set the path correctly and I've even tried writing the full path/ file name into my excel sheet. It still gives me the same error to manually select each image when I run the script.
    Hi Brett,

The trial version of the script is fully functional, so that is not the issue.

in the compsFromSpreadsheet window, there is a button "get file path", click on it and navigate to the file you are trying to import and ensure that the path is the same as what you have in your spreadsheet.

also, since you are importing a file, rather than using one in your project, make sure you are using the > symbol in your layer name instead of #

Let me know if this helps or if you continue to have issues.

Thanks,
    Mike
  • Thanks Michael! Works like a Charm. I didnt have the correct file path copied into my spreadsheet. The 'Get File Path' button solved this. With this achieved I'm curious what features does the full version have that the trial version does not?

Thanks,

Brett 
  • ...I'm curious what features does the full version have that the trial version does not?
    The trial version is fully functional.  There is nothing you can't do in the trial version
  • Is there any difference at all? I noticed when putting a text box in it does say in the corner "available in the full version".
  • Is there any difference at all? I noticed when putting a text box in it does say in the corner "available in the full version".
    no, it is the exact same script/functionality...not sure what that "available in full version" is...might be coming from something else.
  • Any word on cc2019 compatibillity?
    I have now been using it for a bit in CC2019. and no problems so far.
  • Hi Michael, could you outline the functionality of the floating license framework and how it works? Or am I missing a document somewhere, 

Thanks! 

• Hi Michael, could you outline the functionality of the floating license framework and how it works? Or am I missing a document somewhere, 
    Hi Brian,

You can find out more about floating licenses here
  • Hi Michael,
    I'm running into an issue with file naming in the script. I want/need to base our file names on the ISCI code. However, our ISCI codes have a "/" in them. At the file naming level i want/need the ability to ignore or replace the "/" forward slash. Currently the script, I believe is seeing that as a path delimiter and discarding the first portion ISCI.
    Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.
  • Hi Michael,
    I'm running into an issue with file naming in the script. I want/need to base our file names on the ISCI code. However, our ISCI codes have a "/" in them. At the file naming level i want/need the ability to ignore or replace the "/" forward slash. Currently the script, I believe is seeing that as a path delimiter and discarding the first portion ISCI.
    Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.
    Hey Quinn,

can you send me your ae project (no assets, just the aep file), and text file so I can see what's going on.

If you want to keep it private, open a support ticket for compsFromSpreadsheet and upload it there
  • Hey Michael,
    I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I have my spreadsheet set up with the top layer with headings, and then 3 more rows with the data filled in, but when I 'Run compsFromSpreadsheet', it only syncs the first row of data. Albeit, the newly created comp is exactly how I want it, I would just like it to bring in all rows at once. Am I missing something? 

• can you send me your ae project (no assets, just the aep file), and text file so I can see what's going on.

If you want to keep it private, open a support ticket for compsFromSpreadsheet and upload it there
    attached you should find my samples. The text file was a .tsv, but it was not allowed by the upload, so I renamed it .txt. My guess is that the / in the name is what may be breaking it.
    aep
    aep
    base_isci_template.aep
    txt
    txt
    comp_from_spreadsheet_test01 - Sheet1_tsv.txt
  • attached you should find my samples. The text file was a .tsv, but it was not allowed by the upload, so I renamed it .txt. My guess is that the / in the name is what may be breaking it.
    Hey Quinn,

I see lot's of weird characters in your text doc, as well as some unclosed quotes.  are you making the tsv from excel?  if so, try exporting as utf-8 (it will still be tab delimited, but should give you correct character.)

Before you export, change quotes to <qq>, the script will convert them back to quotes.

Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 4.27.52 PM.png
    1492 x 217 - 134K
  • The tsv was coming from google sheets. That is what the producers use.

I'll try converting to utf-8 as well as encoding the quotes.

Thanks for your feedback
  • Does this script allow for importing data to be used not as onscreen text, but as animation data?  For example, I have some bar graphs I want to animate.   The graph will animate month by month, pausing each month to pop on some supporting text and graphics (images) and then continue on to the next month where the same thing happens.  I know I can do this by manually but this script looks like it ALMOST does what I need.
  • Does this script allow for importing data to be used not as onscreen text, but as animation data?  For example, I have some bar graphs I want to animate.   The graph will animate month by month, pausing each month to pop on some supporting text and graphics (images) and then continue on to the next month where the same thing happens.  I know I can do this by manually but this script looks like it ALMOST does what I need.

Hi Victor,

What you can do is have a text layer receive the data (and turn it off in your comp so you don't see it)

Then reference that text layer via an expression. Make sure in your expression that you reference the text layer by index and not name.

If you need any help with this, open up a support ticket on this site and I should be able to help you out.
  • Hi Michael,

I purchased your script and am trying to use it to generate random names from a list of guests at an event. I create the tab delimited file, which only has a COMP column, and a name column. When I go to run it, it only sees the first line. What should I name the comps on the excel sheet (tab-delimited sheet) and how do I set up the comps in after effects? The guest list my have thousands of names.

Thank you,
    Scott
  • Hi Michael,

I purchased your script and am trying to use it to generate random names from a list of guests at an event. I create the tab delimited file, which only has a COMP column, and a name column. When I go to run it, it only sees the first line. What should I name the comps on the excel sheet (tab-delimited sheet) and how do I set up the comps in after effects? The guest list my have thousands of names.

Thank you,
    Scott
    Hi Scott,

Can you zip and email me your text file and ae project so I can figure out what's going on. [email protected]

Thanks,
    Mikw
  • Hello Sir.
    Its possible use the Google Spreadsheet format?
  • Hello Sir.
    Its possible use the Google Spreadsheet format?
    Hi David,

You cant directly link to google from the script.  However, from google you can choose FIle->download as->Tab separated values, save to your machine and use that file with the script
  • Hi,

We've been using this for a good few years and its really sped up our pipeline.

If we have a large spreadsheet (2600 at the moment) and I was wondering if it was possible to have the comps created, not put into a folder so when they're created. This was I can segment the AE file into multiple chunks and setup a watch folder. this way, as each of the chunks (around 200 comps) is generated, they're automatically rendered, rather than the manual process of going into each one and moving the comps into the root of the project.

Thanks.
  • Hi Michael!

Great product, I'm really happy with CompsfromSpreadsheet.  I don't know how you do it.

I was wondering about image extensions, like .png .jpg .tiff etc. I'm getting into a complicated spreadsheet set-up where I am renaming image files / auto generating sheets etc., and including the image extensions on the spreadsheet are going to make things a little harder.  

If I'm trying to reference an image via the #, are there any workarounds so I can avoid having to name the image file with the extension in the spreadsheet?  Can I just ignore the extension somehow?
  • Hi Michael!

Great product, I'm really happy with CompsfromSpreadsheet.  I don't know how you do it.

I was wondering about image extensions, like .png .jpg .tiff etc. I'm getting into a complicated spreadsheet set-up where I am renaming image files / auto generating sheets etc., and including the image extensions on the spreadsheet are going to make things a little harder.  

If I'm trying to reference an image via the #, are there any workarounds so I can avoid having to name the image file with the extension in the spreadsheet?  Can I just ignore the extension somehow?
    Hi Evan,

Unfortunately, the name you use has to match exactly the name of the project item you are referencing.
  • Just got the trial and am testing to see if it will work for us - looking great so far. Is there are way to have the comps sent to Adobe Media Encoder instead of the Render Queue? Since we will be building many comps from the spreadsheet, this could be helpful.

Thanks
  • Hello Michael,

I've been testing your script for subtitles, so far it's working amazing for any latin-based languages, but it has trouble reading characters from Excel that use a different alphabet, like Japanese, Korean, Polish, Russian, and Chinese. I was wondering if there was a way fix to this issue?

Thanks,
    Christina
  • Hello Michael,

I've been testing your script for subtitles, so far it's working amazing for any latin-based languages, but it has trouble reading characters from Excel that use a different alphabet, like Japanese, Korean, Polish, Russian, and Chinese. I was wondering if there was a way fix to this issue?

Hi Christina,

When you export from excel, instead of choosing tab-delimited, choose utf as filetype, which will be tab-delimited, but should preserve your characters.
  • Just got the trial and am testing to see if it will work for us - looking great so far. Is there are way to have the comps sent to Adobe Media Encoder instead of the Render Queue? Since we will be building many comps from the spreadsheet, this could be helpful.

Thanks
    Hi Kevin,
    There's currently no way to send to encoder via the script.

If you want to do this it is easy (but requires a human).  Just make sure auto render is not set in settings (it is not set by default)

Run the script and click "Queue in AME" in the render queue. click the start render button in render queue.
  • Hello Michael,
    Great product.
    I was wondering how you might go about dynamically creating a text field out of several cells. I have up to 8 names and titles. For instance in comp one I may have 3 names and titles but in comp 5, there could be 8 names and titles. I'd like it to read my spreadsheet data pull a name make it bold and then pull a title make it a light weight and then dynamically place them next to each other so they appear as one unit positioned properly. And then build the next section.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
  • EDIT: Since tested.

Hello Michael!

I have some open questions about your script:

1. Could we pull the image media from a defined folder path instead of importing them to AE manually before rendering? 
    2. What if the image provided is bigger or smaller or has different dimensions? Will your script adjust to fit to comp, align image to center,… ? If not do you have a workaround?
    3. A custom „output to“ setting still adds sequencing number 00000 - which looks like RENDEREDVIDEO.jpg00000 - any fix for that (since it breaks the sequence)?
    4. Is there a possibility to mark rows as done which won’t be rendered anymore?

That you for answering in advance!

Cheers

1. Could we pull the image media from a defined folder path instead of importing them to AE manually before rendering?
    Yes, you make the placeholder layer begin with a > and put the file path in your spreadsheet (you can click on the get filepath button and navigate to a file to get the proper path. you can also set a default path in settings and then just use the filename in the spreadsheet, provided the file is in the defualt path)

1. What if the image provided is bigger or smaller or has different dimensions? Will your script adjust to fit to comp, align image to center,… ? If not do you have a workaround?
    the script replaces the placeholder with the file.  it will be in the same position as the placeholder but will be whatever size the file is.

you could use an expression in the scale of the placeholder to adjust the size of the new object based on its dimensions.

1. A custom „output to“ setting still adds sequencing number 00000 - which looks like RENDEREDVIDEO.jpg00000 - any fix for that (since it breaks the sequence)?

try going to settings->processing, click on "change render settings" and select "image sequence"
    1. Is there a possibility to mark rows as done which won’t be rendered anymore?
    not sure what you mean, but if you mean updating your text file, then no.
  • Hi Michael,

First of all, what a great script. I've been using the trial version to test it out before purchasing. 

I have a composition that has 50 text layers & 50 image layers that I'd like replacing via an excel file. So I effectively need a script that replaces each item within that composition rather than making new compositions with the replaced data. 

Is there any way to do this with your script?

Thanks!
  • Hi, I'm getting an error: Unable to execute at line 1: Expected: )

I want to use this right now. Can you help?