• also not getting a gif made. The AVI yes, but just an empty folder where the gif should be. Wish I could roll back gifgin versions but cant see a download tot he one that worked :(  win 2023
    I'm having the same issue as Brandon. I get a .mov file but no .gif encode. What do I need to do?
    When I export a gif using gifgun on my pc it exports the file as a .avi

How can I get gifgun to export as .gif instead?
    Hi all,

Nik here. Sorry for the radio silence, we are finishing up the GifGun 2 release that fixes all these issues while bringing new features.
    A general fix for "only mov/avi" looks like this:

First, render a 300 by 300 pixels 3-second long composition with GifGun. Then, you need to give GifGun more time to compile the animation. Long compositions with large resolutions take more time to compile.

Also, uncheck "Keep Alpha" or "Use Experimental Engine" and select [UPDATE PRESETS] option in the Render Preset dropdown. That might help to get things running. If that does not work, don't hesitate to contact us, and we will help.

Please feel free to open a support ticket

Nik
  • Does anyone else seem to get a limited palette in the generated GIF? It seems to establish the palette from early in the animation and any other colors used later in the animation are adapted. Because of this, I have to resort to Photoshop to generate a better balance of colors in the animated gif. Is this a support ticket issue? I can easily create examples.
    Hi Kevin,
    Please send us examples in a ticket, that would help.
    We are now working to finish the GifGun2 release and that is a great testing point for our new algorithms

Nik
  • Thanks Nik

Also, uncheck "Keep Alpha" or "Use Experimental Engine" and select [UPDATE PRESETS] option in the Render Preset dropdown.

That worked!
  • doesn't work in the latest version of AE
  • Decreasing the frame rate setting in GIFGUN seems to change the playback speed and not actually cut frames. Making everything play extremely slow and bloat file sizes.
  • AE 23.4.0

Comp frame rate is set to 60, however, no matter which settings I change in GifGun, the exported gif is not hitting 60fps. It looks to be above 30 however. 
    I have tried viewing the gif in the browser, and it appears to be the same.

Any ideas?
  • Hello - this doesn't seem to be able to be installed in 2023? Doesn't even show compatibility in the AEScripts installer, and once installed through the installer, it does not show up in 2023. The screenshots in your PDF show it as compatible with 2023, but the installer says otherwise. Any suggestions?
  • Script has stopped working for me recently. I uninstall, reinstall, try every suggestion in every comment thread everywhere.Sometimes it magically starts working again, then fails a couple of days after.

Please give us beta access to the new version, or at least acces to a legacy download. Miss the script man.....
    I've contacted the devs on twitter, facebook, email...no response except some automated response telling me to try everything I've already tried.
    Help please.
  • doesn't work in the latest version of AE

Hello - this doesn't seem to be able to be installed in 2023? Doesn't even show compatibility in the AEScripts installer, and once installed through the installer, it does not show up in 2023. The screenshots in your PDF show it as compatible with 2023, but the installer says otherwise. Any suggestions?
    Hi Rich and Chris,
    Please use Aescripts Manager App and not the ZXP Installer app. That would work for the latest GifGun version, just checked that

Nik
  • Scott CCC said:
    Script has stopped working for me recently. I uninstall, reinstall, try every suggestion in every comment thread everywhere.Sometimes it magically starts working again, then fails a couple of days after.

Please give us beta access to the new version, or at least acces to a legacy download. Miss the script man.....
    I've contacted the devs on twitter, facebook, email...no response except some automated response telling me to try everything I've already tried.
    Help please.
    Hi Scott, 

Please open a support ticket. I can't find your Twitter message or the old ticket.

Nik

• Nik Ska said:
    Scott CCC said:
    Script has stopped working for me recently. I uninstall, reinstall, try every suggestion in every comment thread everywhere.Sometimes it magically starts working again, then fails a couple of days after.

Help please.
    Hi Scott, 

Please open a support ticket. I can't find your Twitter message or the old ticket.

Nik

Hi Nik, Here is the support ticket number from before, and I'm not sure who I messaged on twitter since I can't message extrabits....
    Ticket #1094618 

I was just given the same generic advice that I had already tried from searching through other threads:

Here's my original message:
    I'm working on an art project that consists of 100 gifs. I've been using gifgun for a couple of years and for this project, and always loved it, thank you. However, suddenly it's just spitting out .avi's and basically freezing ae, never converting to a gif. I've tried all the fixes, unchecking experimental options, alpha, loading presets, etc. I even tried the 300x300 test I saw in the thread. Nothing works, and trying not panic. Any suggestions? I've tried in 2022 and 2023. It stops on "Here it Comes" and I never get a percentage or anything. Just brings ae to an unusable state, and I have to quit out of task manager. On windows 11 btw. Again, I don't think I changed anything in between now and a few days ago when it worked perfectly. Would appreciate any help!

Your response:

"Hi Scott,

First, render a 300 by 300 pixels 3-second long composition with GifGun. Then, you need to give GifGun more time to compile the animation. Long compositions with large resolutions take more time to compile.

Also, uncheck "Keep Alpha" or "Use Experimental Engine" and select [UPDATE PRESETS] option in the Render Preset dropdown. That might help to get things running. If that does not work, don't hesitate to contact us, and we will help.

Nik"

None if this works, no matter how many times I try, so I didn't answer the message since I said in my original message that I tried all of these things, but that's what was sent to me anyhow.  You know a couple of versions back it worked flawlessly, and since I updated I can't go back because there is no recent legacy version avaialble. I don't know what would be the harm in making all the old versions avaialable. And again, I would love to try the beta....or just something that works. Loved the script for a few years now, but gettin pretty frustrated now because nothing exists that is comperable, and I spend more time trying to fix this one than making gifs. Appreciate any help. I guess I can try to open another ticket and hope....thanks.

-Scott
  • Similar issue as Scott CCC and others are having. I bought a new M1 Max Macbook Pro and updated AE (and all the other CC apps to their latest versions). I used the AE Scripts & Plugins Manager app to install a couple crucial extensions and scripts. GifGun stops at the "Here it comes" stage and only spits out .mov's, .mp4's and/or png sequences. I've been using GifGun almost weekly for about 5 years without any real issues. This is real bummer as I don't really wanna do the the save for web in Photoshop thing.

I tried with a couple of different animations and also with a very simple 300x300 px animation as described in one of the earlier messages. Tried playing with different render etc. settings on the settings panel to no avail.
  • I've managed to pull an old version from a hard drive on my cloud storage, v1.7.24.
    I installed it in my AE 2022 scripts folder and it runs just fine in AE 2023.
    I'm trying to figure out a way to make it avaialble for download for anyone who wants it, but aware of legal issues, and proof of licensing.

I think a great short term solution from the team, would be to make all old versions available for download for licensed customers. Doesn't seem like such a wild idea to me.