• Nik Ska said:
    I have an error massage when try to open GifGun window:
    Unable to execute script at line 159. After Effects error: could not convert Unicode characters.
    Hi Dmitro,

This issue is related to the way GifGun handles the Unicode symbols in template names, and is specific for 17.0.4 and 17.0.5.
    We are releasing the fix soon. As of now, you may either remove all non-english symbols from the After Effects template names, or use AE 2019 and below.

Nik
    Hi! I also have this issue, but don't want to go back to 2019, so wanted to try removing all the non-english symbols, but don't know how... :)  what do you mean by the After Effects templates names?
  • Nik Ska said:
    Unable to execute script at line 159. After Effects error: could not convert Unicode characters.
    Hi Dmitro,

This issue is related to the way GifGun handles the Unicode symbols in template names, and is specific for 17.0.4 and 17.0.5.
    We are releasing the fix soon. As of now, you may either remove all non-english symbols from the After Effects template names, or use AE 2019 and below.

Nik
    Hi! I also have this issue, but don't want to go back to 2019, so wanted to try removing all the non-english symbols, but don't know how... :)  what do you mean by the After Effects templates names?
    Hi. Version 1.0.16 with the Issue 159 fixed is already available, please download it from the My Downloads and Licenses section of your aescripts account.

Nik
  • Nik Ska said:
    Nik Ska said:
    Hi Dmitro,

Nik
    Hi. Version 1.0.16 with the Issue 159 fixed is already available, please download it from the My Downloads and Licenses section of your aescripts account.

Nik
    Ah, I see it, thanks! I'll install it and see if it works, but I guess it will :) Thank you!
  • Love this. Is there any way this could ever be available for Premiere?
  • Love this. Is there any way this could ever be available for Premiere?
    Hi Will, 

We do consider that for version 2.0.

Nik
  • Hi!

I just bought Gifgun.

I wanted to export a white background GIF and somewhere in the export process it shifted the background white to FDFDFF grey.

I was really excited about it so I don't have to deal exporting video from AE, opening it in PS, fixing colors then exporting GIF but now I'm  disappointed.
    I had to edit the colours just the same in PS afterwards.

Is there a solution?
    Janos

Edit: the AE solid white background in the export and in the temporary files is a composite of FDFDFF,  FAF9FE and FFFFFF colored pixels
  • Hi!

I just bought Gifgun.

I wanted to export a white background GIF and somewhere in the export process it shifted the background white to FDFDFF grey.

I was really excited about it so I don't have to deal exporting video from AE, opening it in PS, fixing colors then exporting GIF but now I'm  disappointed.
    I had to edit the colours just the same in PS afterwards.

Is there a solution?
    Janos

Edit: the AE solid white background in the export and in the temporary files is a composite of FDFDFF,  FAF9FE and FFFFFF colored pixels
    Hi Janos,

So there are a couple of ways to mitigate this issue.
    First - choose to export in PRORES4444 or any other 444 chroma subsampling codec. That would help GifGun by feeding it more correct colors.
    Second - go for the "Use Experimental Engine" option, it aims to preserve as much color information as possible.

Nik
  • Thanks for the answer Nik!

Is this codec only for Apple?
    I use AE on PC.

Janos
  • Just got a copy of gif gun, everytime i try to render a gif after effects starts rendering 131072 frames... whats going on? Im in windows 10 and ae cc2019

EDIT just checked cc2020, same thing

EDIT2 ah is keep alpha? causing a huge render I opened a ticket, Im sure rendering with an alpha for gifs is a pretty normal thing to do am i doing something wrong? really need this today ugh
  • Russ El said:
    Just got a copy of gif gun, everytime i try to render a gif after effects starts rendering 131072 frames... whats going on? Im in windows 10 and ae cc2019

EDIT2 ah is keep alpha? causing a huge render I opened a ticket, Im sure rendering with an alpha for gifs is a pretty normal thing to do am i doing something wrong? really need this today ugh
    I'm also having this problem. Any progress fixing it? 
  • Thanks for the answer Nik!

Is this codec only for Apple?
    I use AE on PC.

Janos
    Hi Janos,

I believe the latest AE versions support ProRes on Windows. You may find it in the QuickTime format codecs.

Nik
  • Russ El said:
    Just got a copy of gif gun, everytime i try to render a gif after effects starts rendering 131072 frames... whats going on? Im in windows 10 and ae cc2019

Russ El said:

Sorry guys, this is the issue specifically with "Keep Alpha" on and "as comp" framerate. Set GifGun FPS to 20 or 25 to mitigate the issue, and we are releasing 1.7.17 shortly.

Nik
  • Nik Ska said:
    Russ El said:

Russ El said:

Sorry guys, this is the issue specifically with "Keep Alpha" on and "as comp" framerate. Set GifGun FPS to 20 or 25 to mitigate the issue, and we are releasing 1.7.17 shortly.

Nik
    Thank you! Works using this info. 
  • Hi, I'm not able to use the installer at all. When I click accept on the terms my mac just freezes. Using MacOS Catalina
  • Hi, I'm not able to use the installer at all. When I click accept on the terms my mac just freezes. Using MacOS Catalina
    Hi Hanna,

That does not seem like a particular installer issue, but rather a macOS one. Restart your machine and try again please.

Nik
  • I love creating my gifs in AE! Thanks for making this dead simple with great quality controls.
  • schlechte Quallität, kostenloses Toll besser.
  • schlechte Quallität, kostenloses Toll besser.
    Это конечно же не так. Во-первых, вы можете отключить Fast Resize, во-вторых, просто поиграться с настройками. В триальной версии стоит ограничение на ширину и фпс гифки, поэтому может казаться, что качество ниже.

Хорошего дня.
  • Do you have any plan on making a standalone app for Windows and macOS?

• Do you have any plan on making a standalone app for Windows and macOS?
    Hi Tommaso,

We do have these plans with our products, and I still hope it would be possible to run GifGun 2.0 as a standalone app and integrate it to other pieces of software. It is still in the very early stages of development though.

Nik
  • I want to render a composition (24 frameraate)... I chose from the settings ( as comp) ... But the result is (25 framerate)
  • I want to render a composition (24 frameraate)... I chose from the settings ( as comp) ... But the result is (25 framerate)
    Hi Safa,

The thing with GIF format is that it doesn't have the FPS property inherently. Frames should be allocated in such a fashion that their duration is a multiple of 1/100s. So it is possible to create a GIF with 100, 50, 25, 20, 10 etc FPS and not exactly possible to make one with 24 or 30, so GifGun nudges FPS to the nearest possible.

Nik
  • imageI cant seem to get the gif to look as good as if it were exported from PS. Any help please?

Herz_1.gif
    178 x 170 - 40K
    Herz.gif
    178 x 170 - 65K
  • imageI cant seem to get the gif to look as good as if it were exported from PS. Any help please?

Hi Maximillian,

This is Nik from the team Extrabite. PS and GifGun use two vastly different approaches to the GIF animation with alpha channel, but the general rule stands true: GIF as a format does not support alpha transparency variations - pixels are either fully on or fully off. 
    You may use this trick to make your GIFs alpha-ready: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ysFKdMqZ_c

Nik
  • Hi there, love this product but I'm having a few issues now:

When I make a gif, it sometimes chooses a random composition render out. It will only render out the PNG files and provide no .gif file and the 'Make Gif' button gets stuck on 99% ready...

Is there any fix?

Thanks,
  • Saved my bacon today being able to make changes and push updated gifs to the client so quickly. Super convenient and worth the dolla.
  • Saved my bacon today being able to make changes and push updated gifs to the client so quickly. Super convenient and worth the dolla.
    Hi Alan,

Thank you!

Nik
  • TOBY DALE said:
    Hi there, love this product but I'm having a few issues now:

When I make a gif, it sometimes chooses a random composition render out. It will only render out the PNG files and provide no .gif file and the 'Make Gif' button gets stuck on 99% ready...

Is there any fix?

Thanks,
    Hi Toby,

Please open a support ticket the next time this happens. Include all the composition data - duration, resolution, name and the full project path. 
    The issue might be related to some composition-specific parameters that we would like to detect and fix for future releases.

Nik
  • When I make a gif, it sometimes chooses a random composition render out. It will only render out the PNG files and provide no .gif file and the 'Make Gif' button gets stuck on 99% ready... I have contact you with the support!
  • When I make a gif, it sometimes chooses a random composition render out. It will only render out the PNG files and provide no .gif file and the 'Make Gif' button gets stuck on 99% ready... I have contact you with the support!
    Hi Jan,

Please run a test with 300 by 300px 3 seconds long composition named "TEST". If that fails, please open a support ticket. Otherwise, you should give GifGun a bit more time to compile the GIF.

Nik

• I have a problem, I put the settings and when I press make gif it stays in "here it comes" and nothing happens from there, I have after effects cc2020, I tried it on cs6 and it worked without problems, but in the other it doesn't work, help please!

• I have a problem, I put the settings and when I press make gif it stays in "here it comes" and nothing happens from there, I have after effects cc2020, I tried it on cs6 and it worked without problems, but in the other it doesn't work, help please!
    Hi César,

Please open a support ticket, attach your GifGun settings screenshot and specify your operating system, After Effects and GifGun versions.

Thank you,
    Nik
  • This is such a lifesaver!! I have been using GifGun for a few years now and this plugin has saved me so much time. THANK YOUUUU
  • This is such a lifesaver!! I have been using GifGun for a few years now and this plugin has saved me so much time. THANK YOUUUU
    Thank you for such kind words, Ellen!

Nik
  • Any thoughts of adding a ping pong or reverse setting? This just came up in a job and would definitely be useful.
  • Any thoughts of adding a ping pong or reverse setting? This just came up in a job and would definitely be useful.
    Hi Dominic,

We never considered adding these features as they are easily added with expressions to the composition, and it would also be pretty hard to identify that this mode is on with the current UI.

Nik
  • Hey Hi! I am having some issues when i updated my after effects, when using opening GifGun it just crashes everything. I can't even go to my settings, when using any other script this doesn't happen. Maybe something is not right with the new AE version? Which AE version is more stable so far? so i could go back. Thanks a lot guys, love your product
  • Hey Hi! I am having some issues when i updated my after effects, when using opening GifGun it just crashes everything. I can't even go to my settings, when using any other script this doesn't happen. Maybe something is not right with the new AE version? Which AE version is more stable so far? so i could go back. Thanks a lot guys, love your product
    Hi Eduardo,

Please reinstall GifGun and restart your machine, that should help.

Nik
  • Hi, having a problem where it keeps saying "copy gifgun folder to the script location" and only exports a folder of PNGs. Is there a fix for this? I reinstalled GifGun and restarted my computer (Mac OS)
     Thanks!
  • Hi, having a problem where it keeps saying "copy gifgun folder to the script location" and only exports a folder of PNGs. Is there a fix for this? I reinstalled GifGun and restarted my computer (Mac OS)
     Thanks!
    Hi,

You have to install GifGun with provided installer only. If you've recently updated your After Effects, reinstall GifGun.

Nik
  • I'm having an issue where GifGun 1.7.17 in AE2019 is saying "there seems to be a preset issue" I've followed the instructions but then I get a repeat of the issue. I don't have a FB account to put a post there - any help would be super appreciated.
  • I'm having an issue where GifGun 1.7.17 in AE2019 is saying "there seems to be a preset issue" I've followed the instructions but then I get a repeat of the issue. I don't have a FB account to put a post there - any help would be super appreciated.
    Hi David,

This is pretty rare now, and may be linked to one of the following:
    1. Project and render path with weird non-unicode symbols. To eliminate this, save the project to C:\GifGun if you're on Windows or Library on macOS
    2. Something blocking GifGun from properly working. Restart your machine, set AE workspace to Default and open GifGun. 

If neither of the proposed solutions helps, please open a support ticket.

Nik 
  • Hi there, 
    I'm installing Gif Gun on a Macbook Pro 2020 / AE 2020 and always get the same error: 

"Unable to execute script at line 3448. null is not an object"

What can I do?
  • Hi there, 
    I'm installing Gif Gun on a Macbook Pro 2020 / AE 2020 and always get the same error: 

"Unable to execute script at line 3448. null is not an object"

What can I do?

Close and undock all scripts and restart AE. If you still need help open a support ticket https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1
  • Upon rendering, my GifGun is stuck at "Here it comes" on both Adobe After Effects CC 2020 and 2019. I'm running on MacOS 10.15.7. I reinstalled GifGun and and restarted AE several times.
  • Upon rendering, my GifGun is stuck at "Here it comes" on both Adobe After Effects CC 2020 and 2019. I'm running on MacOS 10.15.7. I reinstalled GifGun and and restarted AE several times.

If you need help open a support ticket https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1
  • Hi there!

I get nothing when I try to export a gif with turned on experimentlal engine, just empty folder opens. Tried with different projects, result the same. All works well when EE is off. Any advices?

Gifgun 1.7.7, win 10, xeon. 
  • Great script! However I’m having an issue with alpha GIFs playing slowly. What settings will remedy this problem?

Here are the example GIFs: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/27ubli81tf3xv11/AACHa3gwREyLvZ1OfgTG761Ya?dl=0

Thanks Leo
  • Hi there!

I get nothing when I try to export a gif with turned on experimentlal engine, just empty folder opens. Tried with different projects, result the same. All works well when EE is off. Any advices?

Gifgun 1.7.7, win 10, xeon. 
    Hi Dmitriy,

Please open a support ticket so we send you a debugging procedure.

Nik
  • Leo Earle said:
    Great script! However I’m having an issue with alpha GIFs playing slowly. What settings will remedy this problem? Here are the example GIFs: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/27ubli81tf3xv11/AACHa3gwREyLvZ1OfgTG761Ya?dl=0 Thanks Leo
    Hi Leo,

Please set FPS to 20 or 25, that should help.

Nik