• I have the same issue as John, except no error, just AE freezes. 

Please help! 
  • Is there a way to save output presets? That would be great!
    Thanks, Tony
  • Over the few years I've owned this plugin and redownloaded it from time to time, it works maybe 20% of the time at best. Otherwise I get Engine Error, or some OS incompatibility.
  • I have the same issue as John, except no error, just AE freezes. 

Please help! 

please open a support ticket https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1
  • Hi! Some feature feedback! Could you maybe add non stacked frame gif export? Discord for example uses non stacked frame gifs. The only way to export this now is converting a gif through ezgif to make it non stacked frames. Love the plugin!
  • Thank you, thank you, thank you for fixing the issue with GifGun on M1 Macs! Sincerely grateful. 
  • Does GifGun renders allow for transparent backgrounds? And if so, does it also suppport partial transparent backgrounds such as adding Drop Shadows and being able tor render those without it looking more like noise?
  • Does GifGun renders allow for transparent backgrounds? And if so, does it also suppport partial transparent backgrounds such as adding Drop Shadows and being able tor render those without it looking more like noise?
    Hi Steve,

While GifGun does support GIF transparency, one should remember that GIFs do not support gradient transparency. Each pixel is either 100% on or 100% off

Nik
  • Hi! Some feature feedback! Could you maybe add non stacked frame gif export? Discord for example uses non stacked frame gifs. The only way to export this now is converting a gif through ezgif to make it non stacked frames. Love the plugin!
    Hi Maikel,

Sorry for not fixing this at that moment. We had a ticket with the issue but did not work on it before.
    I am going to research the solution for the next update.

Nik
  • Is there a way to save output presets? That would be great!
    Thanks, Tony
    Hi Tony,

Do you want to have an option to choose from a number of custom presets?
    We are thinking about that for the version 2.0

Nik
  • Hi,

Would you share input arguments to GifGun, so I can set it up to work with kbar? Since you have just two amazing buttons, it'd be an easy setup, but I don't know what to tell kbar to execute.

Thanks, and love your product!
    gReg

• Hi,

What use is the "keep alpha" button? I was trying to render out a gif with alpha channel with this checked but it wouldn't output a gif file at all.
    Unchecking it and trying to render again did give me a gif with alpha channel.
    It seems selecting preset Lossless with alpha already did the trick.

So I am wondering in what case the button is useful and why it didn't work for me at all.
  • Hi !

Thank again for this amazing plugin. In next version, would it be possible to have an option to make multiple renders? I have created an After Effects template to make screensavers on Stream Deck XL. 32 gifs to render each time :D
  • HI there! Whenever I try to export a gif, it exports as a .mov. How can I fix this? Thanks!
  • Hi, would it be possible to implement a feature to turn off infinite loop (eg. play the gif once and stay put on the last frame)?Cheers!

• Hi, would it be possible to implement a feature to turn off infinite loop (eg. play the gif once and stay put on the last frame)?Cheers!

Hi Screech,

Indeed you can. Just open GifGun setting, uncheck Infinite Loop and set the desired number of loops.

Nik
  • Tried both the Aescripts Manager to install GifGun as the "standalone" installation as you @Nik Ska mentioned. Both ways did not worked for me. I also tried all throubleshooting ways you and other users mentioned in this thread as well in the documention of the app.

Failure: "Script in Line 3212 can not be executed. Null is not an object."

Would be great if there is something i can do about this. I get this error for about 2-3 months now.
  • Hi,
    I'm having same problem as Nils Nolte, earlier in december/january, when I tried to run previous version of Gifgun
    in my Mac BookPro (macOS Catalina 10.15.7).

Today 22 of April 2022 I tried to install the updated version of Gifgun, with exactly the same failure message: 
    "Script in Line 3212 can not be executed. Null is not an object.".

How come the Gifgun-team does not fix obvious bugs?????

Looking forward with information about when Gifgun works, otherwise you may remove this plugin.

Regards, Peter

• Throws up engine error after rendering the .mov file. I have cleared prefs, reinstalled it multiple times. It's essentially not doing what it's supposed to do anymore.
  • One of my favourite AE Plugin. Are you planning to add a APNG format export?
  • Gifgun used to work fine for me, but since some update ago all it renders turns out white. No matter what settings I use. :( 
  • As of Version 1.7.23, I'm unable to register my license.  I copy and paste it, and I get an error -100 where it tells me that I need to purchase it because my trial has expired.  Any one else experiencing it?

• Hello! 
    I have the latest version of gifgun, and it renders the movie but never produces the gif
    any ideas?

Yes i renamed the project TEST and allow scripts to write is turned on. 
    Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 12.11.12 PM.png
    340 x 150 - 10K
    Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 11.47.45 AM.png
    546 x 208 - 19K
  • Tried both the Aescripts Manager to install GifGun as the "standalone" installation as you @Nik Ska mentioned. Both ways did not worked for me. I also tried all throubleshooting ways you and other users mentioned in this thread as well in the documention of the app.

Failure: "Script in Line 3212 can not be executed. Null is not an object."

Would be great if there is something i can do about this. I get this error for about 2-3 months now.
    Hello Nils, can you please update to the latest version and check that you don't have Dropbox sync enabled, here more info about Dropbox issue https://aescripts.com/knowledgebase/index/view/faq/dropbox-macos-warning/

Thank you,
    Mike
  • Hi,
    I'm having same problem as Nils Nolte, earlier in december/january, when I tried to run previous version of Gifgun
    in my Mac BookPro (macOS Catalina 10.15.7).

Today 22 of April 2022 I tried to install the updated version of Gifgun, with exactly the same failure message: 
    "Script in Line 3212 can not be executed. Null is not an object.".

How come the Gifgun-team does not fix obvious bugs?????

Looking forward with information about when Gifgun works, otherwise you may remove this plugin.

Regards, Peter

Hello Peter, this looks like the issue with a Dropbox sync, here is an info about how to fix it: https://aescripts.com/knowledgebase/index/view/faq/dropbox-macos-warning/

And make sure to update to latest version.
    If that didn't help, please open a support ticket and we will take a closer look.

Thank you,
    Mike

• it doesn’t seem to work though, perhaps i am missing something?
    Nik Ska said:

Hi, would it be possible to implement a feature to turn off infinite loop (eg. play the gif once and stay put on the last frame)?Cheers!

Hi Screech,

Indeed you can. Just open GifGun setting, uncheck Infinite Loop and set the desired number of loops.

Nik

• Throws up engine error after rendering the .mov file. I have cleared prefs, reinstalled it multiple times. It's essentially not doing what it's supposed to do anymore.
    Hello,
    Can you please open a support ticket so we can take a closer look. Usually why it might happen is because of AE rendering with incorrect preset applied.
    Thank you,
    Mike
  • One of my favourite AE Plugin. Are you planning to add a APNG format export?
    Hello Philippe,
    Absolutely! We have that in our roadmap :)

Thank you,
    Mike
  • Gifgun used to work fine for me, but since some update ago all it renders turns out white. No matter what settings I use. :( 
    Hello Morten,
    Can you please open a support ticket, this seems to be unusual.

Thank you,
    Mike
  • As of Version 1.7.23, I'm unable to register my license.  I copy and paste it, and I get an error -100 where it tells me that I need to purchase it because my trial has expired.  Any one else experiencing it?

Hello Matthew,
    I see that you already opened a ticket and I forwarded it to Aescripts team. They will help you with a right fix.
    Thank you,
    Mike
  • Jason Lee said:
    Hello! 
    I have the latest version of gifgun, and it renders the movie but never produces the gif
    any ideas?

Hello,
    It looks like you are using Keep Alpha feature and for some reason it doesn't work properly.
    Can you please open a support ticket and try without Keep Alpha enabled.

Thank you,
    Mike
  • it doesn’t seem to work though, perhaps i am missing something?
    Hi, would it be possible to implement a feature to turn off infinite loop (eg. play the gif once and stay put on the last frame)?Cheers!

Hi Screech,

Nik
    Hello Screech,

Sometimes desired amount of loops is not properly displayed by the previewing program itself.
    The information about amount of loops should be in GIF, but not all of the previewers respect them. For example Slack doesn't.
    Can you please try opening Loop in Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome and check there.
    Also please feel free to open a support ticket, so we can take a closer look.

Thank you,
    Mike
  • Jason Lee said:
    Hello! 
    any ideas?

Hello,
    It looks like you are using Keep Alpha feature and for some reason it doesn't work properly.
    Can you please open a support ticket and try without Keep Alpha enabled.

Thank you,
    Mike
    I can export 1080 but not 4K? 
  • Hello,
    GifGun stopped working for me all of a sudden. If I use the normal Engine, it says "Engine Error" in the "Make Gif" Window after exporting and only exports the .mov, but no .gif. With the Experimental Engine I don't get the "Engine Error" message, but it also only exports the .mov and no .gif.
    I tried with and without Keep Alpha, as well as restarting the PC and reinstalling GifGun.

Thank,
    Linus
  • When producing a gif, the loop feature doesn't work, it just plays once
  • Hi, I have read through every comment in this thread, flushed preferences, do not have dropbox installed, but still am receiving error message: "Unable to execute script at line 4994. null is not an object"

macOS Big Sur 11.4
    After Effects 22.4.0
    Gifgun 1.7.23
  • Hello,

There is a bug in the plugin.

When exporting two different composition dimensions, it only uses the dimension of the first export.

Each time I have to restart After Effects to export the other composition.

• [Deleted User] said:
    Hello,

When exporting two different composition dimensions, it only uses the dimension of the first export.

Hi Jaimy,

We can't reproduce this on our end. Please open a support ticket with more information on the issue.
    Do mind the GifGun settings that automatically resize all gifs to the said width

Nik
  • Nik Ska said:
    [Deleted User] said:
    Hello,

Hi Jaimy,

We can't reproduce this on our end. Please open a support ticket with more information on the issue.
    Do mind the GifGun settings that automatically resize all gifs to the said width

Nik
    Hi Nik,

This happens only when the "width" is the same but the "height" is different.

So when you export 600 x 600 px and 1920 x 1080 px everything goes well.

But if you export 600 (width) x 600 px and 600 (width) x 300 px then the bug appears.

Can you verify this?

• Linus Ste said:
    Hello,
    GifGun stopped working for me all of a sudden. If I use the normal Engine, it says "Engine Error" in the "Make Gif" Window after exporting and only exports the .mov, but no .gif. With the Experimental Engine I don't get the "Engine Error" message, but it also only exports the .mov and no .gif.
    I tried with and without Keep Alpha, as well as restarting the PC and reinstalling GifGun.

Thank,
    Linus
    Got the same error here. I don't know what to do?
  • Hello this same thing is happening to me, need help, been almost 2 months 

• I can't even get the trial run to work.  Installed it. It ask for a license, i type "trial" just as instructed, and then giffun just appears a blank box in the middle of after effects with no options to do anything???? Why??image
  • Hello, anytime I try to enable Alpha channel my AE2022 crashes. It's a fresh install. Please help! Win 10 x64
  • Hello, anytime I try to enable Alpha channel my AE2022 crashes. It's a fresh install. Please help! Win 10 x64
    Hi Edward, 

This is an issue with the latest AE version (22.5). We are aware of it and now fixing the issue. There is a workaround though that does not involve reinstalling older AE version:
    Open After Effects and from within it open GifGun_Alpha_Png.aep file located at C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects 2022\Support Files\Scripts\ScriptUI Panels\(gifGun), and save it for the most recent AE version. You might need to save it on Desktop and then manually replace the said file.
    This solves the issue. We are going to fix this shortly though.

Nik

• Hello this same thing is happening to me, need help, been almost 2 months 

Hi Ricardo,

This is an issue with the latest AE version (22.5). We are aware of it and now fixing the issue.
    One way to fix it is to create any new After Effects render preset in the Render Queue and set GifGun to render with it in Options -> Render Preset.
    Alternatively, just change Render Preset to "High Quality" which is installed with 22.5 by default now, that also solves the issue.

We are working on a fix atm

Nik
  • Jason Lee said:
    Hello! 
    any ideas?

GiFGun Rendering Error in AE 2022? Try This!

The possible fix is to flush After Effects preferences. Here's how to do it:

1. Go to the After Effects Preferenсes -> General (Edit -> Preferences on Windows and After Effects -> Preferences on macOS)
    2. Find a "Reveal preferences in explorer" button on the bottom of the General tab
    3. Explorer or Finder is going to be opened and the correct file preselected for you
    4. Without doing anything to the file, close AE
    5. Open the file with text editor (notepad)
    6. Find text block called ["Settings_GifGunPrefs"]
    7. Remove the whole block and its settings, there are going to be about 20+ lines to remove
    8. Save Changes to the text file
    9. Open After Effects

If you do not care for other After Effects preferences, you may just skip steps 5 to 9 and remove the preferences file AFTER you close After Effects.
  • Linus Ste said:
    Hello,

Thank,
    Linus

1. Go to the After Effects Preferenсes -> General (Edit -> Preferences on Windows and After Effects -> Preferences on macOS)
    2. Find a "Reveal preferences in explorer" button on the bottom of the General tab
    3. Explorer or Finder is going to be opened and the correct file preselected for you
    7. Remove the whole block and its settings, there are going to be about 20+ lines to remove
    9. Open After Effects

If you do not care for other After Effects preferences, you may just skip steps 5 to 9 and remove the preferences file AFTER you close After Effects.
  • Linus Ste said:
    Hello,

Thank,
    Linus

9. Open After Effects

Hi Alaa,

Prefs flush is not the universal solution in this case. First thing you have to check is the composition duration and resolution. Large and long compositions generally take longer to render. 99% of the cases are solved by this simple trick:

First, do the test with 300 by 300 pixels 3 seconds long composition. If it works, then you just need to give GifGun more time to compile the animation. Long compositions with large resolutions tend to take more time to compile.

Also, uncheck "Keep Alpha" or "Use Experimental Engine" and select [UPDATE PRESETS] option in the Render Preset dropdown. That might help to get things running. If that does not work, please contact us and we are going to help.

• Nik Ska said:
    Hello, anytime I try to enable Alpha channel my AE2022 crashes. It's a fresh install. Please help! Win 10 x64
    Hi Edward, 

This is an issue with the latest AE version (22.5). We are aware of it and now fixing the issue. There is a workaround though that does not involve reinstalling older AE version:
    Open After Effects and from within it open GifGun_Alpha_Png.aep file located at C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects 2022\Support Files\Scripts\ScriptUI Panels\(gifGun), and save it for the most recent AE version. You might need to save it on Desktop and then manually replace the said file.
    This solves the issue. We are going to fix this shortly though.

Nik

I've tried all your recommendations, including the render queue preset workaround and 300x300+3sec, and nothing works. I continue to get the error, with only a mov file exporting. Please provide a reliable fix asap.

FYI I'm on an M1 Macbook Pro running Monterey.
  • Nik Ska said:
    Hello this same thing is happening to me, need help, been almost 2 months 

Hi Ricardo,

This is an issue with the latest AE version (22.5). We are aware of it and now fixing the issue.
    One way to fix it is to create any new After Effects render preset in the Render Queue and set GifGun to render with it in Options -> Render Preset.
    Alternatively, just change Render Preset to "High Quality" which is installed with 22.5 by default now, that also solves the issue.

We are working on a fix atm

Nik
    Hi! 
    We've released an update that fixes the issue.

Nik