• Hey GifGun Team, 
    Any plans on adding 24fps exports..? Being the most common framerate in animation, it's something I'm missing alot with this plugin..
  • Hi GifGun, 

I recently switched to windows and am reinstalling GIfGun but it it nowhere to be found when I open AE.
     Is there a specific location it needs to be installed to?
  • Erik Blad said:
    Hi GifGun, 

I recently switched to windows and am reinstalling GIfGun but it it nowhere to be found when I open AE.
     Is there a specific location it needs to be installed to?
    Please use the included installer. If you need further assistance please open a support ticket.
  • When I take a composition thats at 60fps, and I set GifGun to render to 15fps, the final result is a very slow-motion looking gif.  Something about the frame rate conversion isn't right, and its been around since at least v1.6

I just updated to latest today and I'm seeing the same issue.
  • When I take a composition thats at 60fps, and I set GifGun to render to 15fps, the final result is a very slow-motion looking gif.  Something about the frame rate conversion isn't right, and its been around since at least v1.6

I just updated to latest today and I'm seeing the same issue.
    Hi, Bryan! Please send us the Gif and separate composition render by opening a ticket.
  • I updated AfterEffect to 2019 and just purchased and downloaded GifGun. And i can't see GifGun in AE! I know it should be under Window ( it's under Window in 2018 AE). Need help!
  • I updated AfterEffect to 2019 and just purchased and downloaded GifGun. And i can't see GifGun in AE! I know it should be under Window ( it's under Window in 2018 AE). Need help!
    please open a support ticket.
    Hi, Johnny! We've just updated GifGun to support for CC2019. Download the new version in the "My Downloads and Licences" section of your account. https://aescripts.com/knowledgebase/index/view/faq/how-to-download-items/
  • Hello Nik, I do not know if its a bug or not, But when we check Keep Alpha, then Resize to width does not have any effect on render. It renders to full comp width :( .
    Wow, thank you. It's clearly a bug. We will fix it asap. Thank you very much for notice!
    I just updated to Ae2019 and GifGun 1.7.2 and noticed this has been fixed. Thank you so much, It was critical for me finishing a project at work. Just one thing, I don't think the new version updated the "?" about button on the lower right so it says 1.7.2 (still says 1.7.1 atm despite installing and AeScripts app saying it's 1.7.2)
  • How can i update to new version (v1.7.2). I already downloaded new version but i can't seen in my after effects its only showing older version only. How can i fix it ?
  • How can i update to new version (v1.7.2). I already downloaded new version but i can't seen in my after effects its only showing older version only. How can i fix it ?

How to upgrade to the latest version

• This version or any version of GifGun can output a Gif from a 60 fps comp in 60 fps.  Instead it defaults to 30fps.
  • Version 1.7.2 doesn't seem to install on my machine, I've tried multiple times and even downloaded the AEScripts installer to do so, but it still says 1.7.1 when I open it in after effects.
  • Version 1.7.2 doesn't seem to install on my machine, I've tried multiple times and even downloaded the AEScripts installer to do so, but it still says 1.7.1 when I open it in after effects.
  • How do you render with transparent background? I have tried every setting,  My BG in AE is set to transparent and I tried all of the settings on the app, what am I doing wrong? Thanks 
  • Lisa Cla said:
    How do you render with transparent background? I have tried every setting,  My BG in AE is set to transparent and I tried all of the settings on the app, what am I doing wrong? Thanks 
  • This version or any version of GifGun can output a Gif from a 60 fps comp in 60 fps.  Instead it defaults to 30fps.
  • Lisa Cla said:
    How do you render with transparent background? I have tried every setting,  My BG in AE is set to transparent and I tried all of the settings on the app, what am I doing wrong? Thanks 
    Hi Lloyd, Thank you for the quick reply, but as usuall, I got it to work after I posted;).   Thanks !
  • Hi, I'm having issues when I render certain colors (in the hot red/hot pink spectrum) - the colors in my final gifs are being changed to an entirely different colors (dulled down yellows/oranges). Do you know what would cause this? Use solid/bright text on a white background. Have it set to maximum colors (256), lossless, and no compression. It appears to render normally in the preview window, but final gif is not. Thanks for the help.
  • Hi, I'm having issues when I render certain colors (in the hot red/hot pink spectrum) - the colors in my final gifs are being changed to an entirely different colors (dulled down yellows/oranges). Do you know what would cause this? Use solid/bright text on a white background. Have it set to maximum colors (256), lossless, and no compression. It appears to render normally in the preview window, but final gif is not. Thanks for the help.
    Hi Taylor. Some color combinations especially when there are a lot of colors and/or gradients involved might cause this issue. Please use Experimental Engine option in GifGun settings to use another way to produce GIFs, it will keep those colors.
  • Hi,

i am using the trial version of GIFGUN and the 3 first times did not work.
    i just got a blank gif. Now, i cannot try anymore, i guess i used the maximum amount of trial.
    what can i do now to find out if it works with my After effects or not ?

-OSX 10.11.6
    -After Effects 15.0.1
    thank you, franck.
  • Hi,

i am using the trial version of GIFGUN and the 3 first times did not work.
    i just got a blank gif. Now, i cannot try anymore, i guess i used the maximum amount of trial.
    what can i do now to find out if it works with my After effects or not ?

-OSX 10.11.6
    -After Effects 15.0.1
    thank you, franck.
  • Overall I have been really happy with this plugin. Recently I had some video that used blues and grays. The blues would not render as blue (with 256 checked) and the experimental engine made the gif 700% bigger- unacceptable for mobile.  Any ideas of how to specify which colors gif gun keeps and which ones it discards. Right now it makes poor decisions. :)

• Overall I have been really happy with this plugin. Recently I had some video that used blues and grays. The blues would not render as blue (with 256 checked) and the experimental engine made the gif 700% bigger- unacceptable for mobile.  Any ideas of how to specify which colors gif gun keeps and which ones it discards. Right now it makes poor decisions. :)

Hi!
    You can use our Experimental Engine option (available in Settings), it treats colors differently and will result in a better decision (with a higher filesize as well)
  • hey,
    when i try to install gif gun, with your instaler, i cant see gifgun folder or .jsxbin file in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CC 2018\Support Files\Scripts\ScriptUI Panels

windows 10
  • hey,

when i try to install gif gun, with your instaler, i cant see gifgun folder or .jsxbin file in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CC 2018\Support Files\Scripts\ScriptUI Panels

windows 10
    please open a support ticket https://aescripts.com/contact/
  • Tried rendering with transparent background(using keep alpha) but it renders out PNG sequences, Gif file is nowhere to be found. 
  • Hi, 
    I just bought GifGun and I get the error "Unable to execute script at line 244. Funcion e.setUTCDate is undefined" every time I try to run it. 
    Tried re installing and re booting my machine.

I'm running the latest version of AE 2019 on the latest version of windows 10.
    Thanks for your help!

• Tried rendering with transparent background(using keep alpha) but it renders out PNG sequences, Gif file is nowhere to be found. 
    please open a support ticket https://aescripts.com/contact/
  • Hi, 
    I just bought GifGun and I get the error "Unable to execute script at line 244. Funcion e.setUTCDate is undefined" every time I try to run it. 
    Tried re installing and re booting my machine.

I'm running the latest version of AE 2019 on the latest version of windows 10.
    Thanks for your help!

please open a support ticket https://aescripts.com/contact/
  • Great product, and worked perfectly ... seeded up my workflow by 10X .... Thank you Extrabite !
  • Arrrrg!!!! I should'a tried the trial version first! 

It's convenient to have the GIF maker within AE, but GifGun makes huge sized Gifs. There are minimal options to distill a Gif to smaller sizes to meet delivery requirements. To meet my deadline I went with another tool. My workflow now is to get PSD from client, build aniamtion in AE and export mp4. Open the mp4 and tweak settings to get desired file size. 

I hope this product continues to develop so it can be useful.

PS. Cute product intro video. I was so dazzled that I forgot to evaluate the product.

• Great product, and worked perfectly ... seeded up my workflow by 10X .... Thank you Extrabite !
    Thank you very much Indunil, we glad to hear GifGun helped you with your workflow that much and really appreciate you taking the time to give us the feedback!

Extrabite Team
  • Arrrrg!!!! I should'a tried the trial version first! 

It's convenient to have the GIF maker within AE, but GifGun makes huge sized Gifs. There are minimal options to distill a Gif to smaller sizes to meet delivery requirements. To meet my deadline I went with another tool. My workflow now is to get PSD from client, build aniamtion in AE and export mp4. Open the mp4  and tweak settings to get desired file size. 

I hope this product continues to develop so it can be useful.

PS. Cute product intro video. I was so dazzled that I forgot to evaluate the product.

Hi,

We are very sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with the product. The quality/size ratio is our top priority and we constantly trying to improve GifGun in that area.
    There are a couple of things that might increase size accidentally, for example, setting Keep Alpha settings or using Experimental Render but in any case, if it wasn't working for you straight-forward that we still have an area to improve.
    Is it possible for you to share at least some details of your workflow and restrictions you have on your project with us by opening a ticket for GifGun?

Thank you very much,
    Extrabite Team
  • Hello Extrabite Team, 
    I appreciate your reply and your attempt to make a GIF builder that works within After Effects. But you really need a disclaimer, upfront that this tool isn't ready for professional use. It's a fun toy, but not something that will create/crunch an animation for practical use.

If you continue to develop this tool, you need to seriously review  and use it as a starting point.

What would be immensely helpful would be a preview window to view the GIF animation and it's quality as one toggles settings. That would help the animator determine how to meet target sizes and what part of the GIF could be adjusted.

Otherwise this tool is a dead end (and a waste of $30).

Good Luck.
  • Hello Extrabite Team, 
    I appreciate your reply and your attempt to make a GIF builder that works within After Effects. But you really need a disclaimer, upfront that this tool isn't ready for professional use. It's a fun toy, but not something that will create/crunch an animation for practical use.

If you continue to develop this tool, you need to seriously review and use it as a starting point.

What would be immensely helpful would be a preview window to view the GIF animation and it's quality as one toggles settings. That would help the animator determine how to meet target sizes and what part of the GIF could be adjusted.

Otherwise this tool is a dead end (and a waste of $30).

Good Luck.
    Thanks for your review. 
    While there are more sophisticated Gif tools on the market, GifGun is made for one click experience and high-volume productions with as little settings as possible. That is our ultimate goal.
    We highly appreciate your opinion on our product as well as opinions on hundreds of professional teams using GifGun every day. 
    That would be really helpful if you could outline the exact parts of GifGun that make its results unsuitable for your specific professional needs, and maybe we could work something out.
    Of course we would not hesitate to refund your purchase in cease GifGun does not work for you.
  • Hello!

Loving the GifGun so far, super quick to render out my work (been using jpeg seq > photoshop > save for web way too long).

Would it be possible improve the Output to Custom Folder browser?

I like to keep previous versions of my work in their respective version number folder within the render folder. However every time I want to render a new version, I have to browse through all the folders again to find the new folder I want the output to go to since the browser does not automatically open the chain to get to the current destination. Also I'm unable to simply click on the path name and change the version number, so I have to waste 30 seconds browsing through the browser.

Not sure if this is just a Windows 10 thing, but that change would help a ton. Or if it's possible to toggle a "Upversion render" so it automatically renders a new version.

Thanks!
  • Hello!

Loving the GifGun so far, super quick to render out my work (been using jpeg seq > photoshop > save for web way too long).

Would it be possible improve the Output to Custom Folder browser?

I like to keep previous versions of my work in their respective version number folder within the render folder. However every time I want to render a new version, I have to browse through all the folders again to find the new folder I want the output to go to since the browser does not automatically open the chain to get to the current destination. Also I'm unable to simply click on the path name and change the version number, so I have to waste 30 seconds browsing through the browser.

Not sure if this is just a Windows 10 thing, but that change would help a ton. Or if it's possible to toggle a "Upversion render" so it automatically renders a new version.

Thanks!
    Hi Reshad,
    That's a good idea and we actually have this feature implemented for one of our next products. We will definitly consider putting it to the next GifGun release.
  • Hi!

Firstly - love it. Great script. A few feature requests:

1/ Is there a reason for needing to click "Done" when changing settings? This feels a little clunky, and I find myself forgetting to click it one in every four times I change the settings.

2/ I find the "frame rate" automatically changes itself every now and then. It means I don't feel super confident that my settings are as I left them and because of this, I make a habit of checking the settings each time before I render out a GIF.

Thanks!
  • Hello, after trying the trial version I just have a suggestion. It would be great if we could set a target filesize as the primary quality-determination for the gif compression. Unfortunately I end up having to do a lot of trial-and-error which leads to a lot of wasted time. But this is a good tool.
  • Is there a way to include audio in the exported GIF in Aftereffects? ( I couldn't find any info in the Knowledgebase for this). Thanks!
  • I dont understand why, the autor do not answere here. This comments are so bad. On every post "Please open a support ticket"!!!!!
    No FAQ here..... I read the other questions, and i see only "Please open a support ticket"!!! I hope you will understand, this is not user friendly. sry..

I would like buy your product, but when i click make GIF, my AE will render a (.avi) file?
  • I dont understand why, the autor do not answere here. This comments are so bad. On every post "Please open a support ticket"!!!!!
    No FAQ here..... I read the other questions, and i see only "Please open a support ticket"!!! I hope you will understand, this is not user friendly. sry..

I would like buy your product, but when i click make GIF, my AE will render a (.avi) file?
    Hello David.
    It is very sad that you think the comments are bad. 
    In fact, we are always replying to the customers, and all of our issues are resolved at this moment.
    The thing is, if you have an issue it's better if we collaborate with you personally and solve your problem directly via chat or email-ticket system, it's just much more comfortable for all of us to cooperate.

I am quite confident that the issue with GifGun you are facing can be resolved quickly via our tech-support, but since it usually involves sending logs and providing a bit of information, out best recommendation is to ask for users to open a support ticket so we can follow up with it.
    Let me know if it's not an option for you and again sorry if you are not happy with a product.

Thank you,
    Mike, GifGun developer.
  • Is there a way to include audio in the exported GIF in Aftereffects? ( I couldn't find any info in the Knowledgebase for this). Thanks!
    Hello Sherene,

Unfortunately, it's not an option at this moment since it's a limitation of Gif format :(

Thank you,
    Mike
  • Hello, after trying the trial version I just have a suggestion. It would be great if we could set a target filesize as the primary quality-determination for the gif compression. Unfortunately I end up having to do a lot of trial-and-error which leads to a lot of wasted time. But this is a good tool.

Hi Peter, 

Thank you so much for the feedback!
    To be honest, that's exactly what we are working on right now.
    If it's an option for you to share your use-cases with us via email at [email protected], that would be really helpful.
    We are constantly trying to improve a product and if you can share some info about your struggles, that might absolutely help us with next version.

Thank you,
    Mike

• Hi!

Firstly - love it. Great script. A few feature requests:

1/ Is there a reason for needing to click "Done" when changing settings? This feels a little clunky, and I find myself forgetting to click it one in every four times I change the settings.

2/ I find the "frame rate" automatically changes itself every now and then. It means I don't feel super confident that my settings are as I left them and because of this, I make a habit of checking the settings each time before I render out a GIF.

Thanks!
    Hi Lechlan,

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate it!

The part about autosaving is something we are still considering as a UI change, and you might be right, in the current era, all the settings are mostly auto-saved. I definitely can understand your point, and it's valuable feedback for us to consider making changes for this part of the app.

Regarding the frame rate part, this is something I haven't heard of before. I would appreciate if you have time to open a support ticket so we can continue to investigate it personally. It might be that the issue is something related to the old version and updating to the new one might fix it.

Thank you again for your feedback,
    Mike, GifGun developer.
  • Ilya P. said:
    When you choose a custom folder to save gif it always creates an empty folder "renders" near project file. And I have to do unnecessary actions to delete this useless folder every time. Please fix it. Thx a lot.

please open a support be https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1
  • GifGun Trial was working great, so i bought it and I installed it.

First the 'make gif' button created more .mov files based on my previous AE export settings.  No matter how many gifgun settings I set or unset, it would just produce more and more .movs even adding them to my render queue.

Now I'm getting the error and can't even open GifGun.... 'Unable to execute the script at line 1'

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling. 

AE 2018 / macOS10.13
    Screen Shot 2019-05-07 at 9.17.52 PM.png
    1360 x 522 - 110K
    Screen Shot 2019-05-07 at 9.27.04 PM.png
    2032 x 746 - 1M
  • GifGun Trial was working great, so i bought it and I installed it.

First the 'make gif' button created more .mov files based on my previous AE export settings.  No matter how many gifgun settings I set or unset, it would just produce more and more .movs even adding them to my render queue.

Now I'm getting the error and can't even open GifGun.... 'Unable to execute the script at line 1'

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling. 

AE 2018 / macOS10.13

Hi Lisa, By looking at the error message, it looks like you just didnt restarted After Effects after you reinstalled GifGun. This is unfortunatelly the required step because of the schema how AE works. Please let me know if restarting AE (or even machine) will not help and please open a support ticket so we can handle it better via our tech support. https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1 Thank you, Mike
  • Hi Extrabite! Thanks for this fantastic tool - it's saved me many hours to date and I'm looking forward to it only getting better.

A few items: first, how does batch render work? I see that it should be working as of version 1.6.1, but don't see any mention of the process in the manual and whenever I have more than one item in the render queue GifGun will offer to clean the render queue. I know, I know: open a ticket. :D I will, but also wanted to ask here in case others come looking for the same answer.

Second, a feature request: with regard to batch render, it would be great to be able to output multiple versions of the GIF with different settings, much like the legacy export from Photoshop has the ability to optimize to file size, but saving each iteration. I.E.: 128 colors @ 10FPS, 256 colors @ 10FPS, 128 colors @ 20FPS, 256 colors @ 20FPS, etc.

Third, bonus points! Adding the option to include the parameters as part of the destination file name ("tokens" or "wild cards") would be a much welcome addition. I.E.: for the comp "banner-option-01" I might set up the tokens as follows:

[compName]_[renderEngine]_[numberOfColors]_[frameRate]_[compressionLevel].[ext]

The resulting file name:

banner-option-01_standard_256_10_medium.gif

If combined, these two features would make me very willing to buy a paid upgrade.

Thanks in advance!
    -Chris