Crossphere Bokeh
  • Hi,
    is this comparable to Lenscare by Frischluft when using a z-depth-map while composing from a 3d software?
  • Hi, Yes, this plugin can render by using depth map.
  • I have Ryzen1800X, 32GB RAM & GTX1080 and this plugin is heavier on my system than any other plugin I've tried. Is this "normal". I didnt have to tweak much of anything and the rendering became sloooow.
  • I have Ryzen1800X, 32GB RAM & GTX1080 and this plugin is heavier on my system than any other plugin I've tried. Is this "normal". I didnt have to tweak much of anything and the rendering became sloooow.
    Please open a support ticket so we can look into it. As with any realistic lens blur plugin cranking up the settings will definitely slow things down but for normal use it should be pretty snappy.
  • Hi,
    is this comparable to Lenscare by Frischluft when using a z-depth-map while composing from a 3d software?
    Yes! Please try the free trial on your own footage or check out this awesome composite from an Element 3D render with a separate z-depth map by Charles Yeager

• Yes this technically does generate a depth of field blur from a z-depth map. However, I highly recommend testing it with your application first. I'm using c4d, and there is still a lot of fringing, especially with overlapping objects. Tested with both the normal c4d depth pass, as well as a position pass (a la Greyscale Gorilla tutorial). 

As of today, I believe it doesn't compare to Frischluft, exclusively in the context of creating Post Depth of field for 3D renders. 
    I totally understand this if v01, and hopefully some updates down the line will open this up as a possibility.

• Yes this technically does generate a depth of field blur from a z-depth map. However, I highly recommend testing it with your application first. I'm using c4d, and there is still a lot of fringing, especially with overlapping objects. Tested with both the normal c4d depth pass, as well as a position pass (a la Greyscale Gorilla tutorial). 

As of today, I believe it doesn't compare to Frischluft, exclusively in the context of creating Post Depth of field for 3D renders. 
    I totally understand this if v01, and hopefully some updates down the line will open this up as a possibility.

Can you please open a support ticket and provide some screenshots along with the depth map you are using so we can take a look?  As you can see from the previous comment you can totally do beautiful composites
  • I have a feature Request:
    I would love to be able to pick the focus point in the viewer using a target point instead of always checking the values in the Depth Pass and entering it manually.
    This would make me consider buying the Plug in :-)
  • Hi

I will add this feature in next update, so this expression is only a temporary solution :-)

It is possible to sample depth layer and set focus distance by expression.

step1
    apply Bokeh and Point Control (Effect > Expression Controls > Point Control) to a layer.

step2
    set Depth Map Layer.

step3
    set next expression to  "Focus Distance" parameter:
    //----------------------expression------------------------------
    var point = effect("Point Control")("Point");

var ImageLayer=thisLayer;
    var DepthLayer=thisComp.layer("SET_DEPTH_MAP_LAYER_NAME");

var epsilon = 0.01;

var Placement = Math.round(effect("Bokeh")("Placement"));
    var stretched = [0,0];
    switch(Placement){
    case 1:
    stretched[0] = Math.max(0., Math.min(DepthLayer.width-epsilon, point[0]-ImageLayer.width/2.+DepthLayer.width/2.) );
    stretched[1] = Math.max(0., Math.min(DepthLayer.height-epsilon, point[1]-ImageLayer.height/2.+DepthLayer.height/2.) );
    break;
    case 2:
    stretched[0] = (point[0]-ImageLayer.width/2.)*(DepthLayer.width / ImageLayer.width ) + DepthLayer.width/2.;
    stretched[1] = (point[1]-ImageLayer.height/2.)*(DepthLayer.height / ImageLayer.height ) + DepthLayer.height/2.;
    break;
    }

var sampled = DepthLayer.sampleImage(stretched,[epsilon, epsilon]);
    var Channel = Math.round(effect("Bokeh")("Channel"));

var result = 0.;
    switch(Channel)
    {
    case 1: result = sampled[0]; break;
    case 2: result = sampled[1]; break;
    case 3: result = sampled[2]; break;
    case 4: result = sampled[3]; break;
    case 5: result = (sampled[0]+ sampled[1]+ sampled[2])/3.; break;
    }

var invert = Math.round(effect("Bokeh")("Invert Depth Map"));
    invert ? 1.-result:result;
    //----------------------expression------------------------------

then, point control specifies the focus point.

• Hey Takayuk,
    right now I have a similar system in place where I have color sampler shape layer which spits out the values which I than plug into the focus distance paramter.
    But it is always a couple of steps to set up so it would be great to have this right in the plug in :-)
    Looking forward to the next Update
  • Hi,

Have you applied the effect to the text in your video?  We're looking for that exact effect with some text in one of our videos.

Thanks,

John
  • Hi,

Have you applied the effect to the text in your video?  We're looking for that exact effect with some text in one of our videos.

Thanks,

John
    Yes you can apply it to any layer: text, shape layer, video, etc.
  • Hi,

Thanks,

John
    Yes you can apply it to any layer: text, shape layer, video, etc.
    Great, thanks for your reply.  Have you applied Crossphere Bokeh only to the text or is there another effect as well?  Asking in regard to the combination of alternating focus and letters fading up/out individually.   

• Great, thanks for your reply.  Have you applied Crossphere Bokeh only to the text or is there another effect as well?  Asking in regard to the combination of alternating focus and letters fading up/out individually.   

Please open a support ticket for technical assistance https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1
  • Is it possible to apply Crossphere to the default AE camera?
  • No, please use depth map.
  • When will the plugin become compatible with OS Catalina and AE CC 2020
  • Hi
    Please download manager application:
    and install Bokeh by this application.
  • I have a problem with bokeh when I using the Z depth map. Some strange blurry edges are forming around the object. How to overcome this? Thank You

• Hi
    How about increase "Remove Edge Leak"?
    Setting "Composite Mode" to "Split" would work also.

• Hi
    How about increase "Remove Edge Leak"?
    Setting "Composite Mode" to "Split" would work also.
    Yes, Thank You!.

Is there a chance for the new version of Focus point to work like in Frishluft? That he would not download information from Z Depth map all the time, only when selecting it. Now it limits the animation possibilities - when the object moves, and the background is exposed, the plugin immediately changes the focus to the back, which is very uncomfortable.

Thank You! Great Plugin!
  • Hi,

I have been using this plugin for years. Today I suddenly got an error saying I'm using the plugin on more than one machine. But no one else has the plugin. I tried to deactivate and activate again and I still get the error message and water marks. 
  • Hi,

I have been using this plugin for years. Today I suddenly got an error saying I'm using the plugin on more than one machine. But no one else has the plugin. I tried to deactivate and activate again and I still get the error message and water marks. 
    Make sure you are using the latest version of the plugin. If you still need assistance please open a support ticket 
  • Any plans to support MFR in a future update?
  • Yes, I am planning to update for MFR.
    Please wait a moment.
  • Yes, I am planning to update for MFR.
    Please wait a moment.
    Great gonna buy it then
  • Hi,

This looks like something that would be very useful for me.

Will it work in AE 2023?
  • Yes, of course!
  • Is MFR now supported?
  • Yes, from version 1.3.5.

• Yes, from version 1.3.5.
    Thanks. Great plugin!
  • Please look at one of my works, which uses a 3D model, Depth Scanner and Crossphere Bokeh.