Shadow Studio 3
  • This looks like a great update and adds a lot of features. I just hope you don't make the same pricing mistake with existing users like autofill2. You realized the pricing was a problem last time and promised not to repeat it next time. I'm sure you'll make a wise choice not to ignore your existing users, and it's only been about a year since version 2^^.
  • This looks like a great update and adds a lot of features. I just hope you don't make the same pricing mistake with existing users like autofill2. You realized the pricing was a problem last time and promised not to repeat it next time. I'm sure you'll make a wise choice not to ignore your existing users, and it's only been about a year since version 2^^.
    Hi Lee

Thanks for your feedback. Yes we learned that lesson the hard way and won't be repeating it. Shadow Studio 2 was first released back in June 2020, but it only existed elsewhere for the first few years due to negotiations for it to be hosted on aescripts. 
  • Ohh man, but i just bought 2.0!!!
  • Love the plugin. Would love it even more if you could cast shadows from objects in 3d space. For example, a chroma-keyed person standing on a stage, with backlight casting shadows forward onto a 'floor' or plane in 3d space. Just a thought! Thanks!
  • Ohh man, but i just bought 2.0!!!
    With the upgrade pricing you won't be disadvantaged if you just bought v2.0
  • Love the plugin. Would love it even more if you could cast shadows from objects in 3d space. For example, a chroma-keyed person standing on a stage, with backlight casting shadows forward onto a 'floor' or plane in 3d space. Just a thought! Thanks!
    Interesting idea Christopher, I hadn't thought of that!
  • When will this plugin be released? I can't wait to buy it!
  • When will this plugin be released? I can't wait to buy it!
    It's just been released now :)
  • Is there native support for Apple Silicon?

yes, you can download the free trial and test it yourself
  • yes, you can download the free trial and test it yourself
    Thanks!
  • Wow I bought it right away and it's really cool, there's a lot of progress and the shadows are really realistic without having to adjust any options! 
    But it's a very little bit inconvenient to find the presets, I think it would be really convenient if you could select them with a dropbox inside the plugin like Autofill 3. The way Autofill works is so convenient.
  • Hello, 
    where are the 36 unique presets located within the plugin?

Hi Steve

We've documented the preset installation here.

The presets are in the form of .ffx and an Ae project file. So once the .ffx presets are installed they will appear in your effects and presets menu:

• Wow I bought it right away and it's really cool, there's a lot of progress and the shadows are really realistic without having to adjust any options! 
    But it's a very little bit inconvenient to find the presets, I think it would be really convenient if you could select them with a dropbox inside the plugin like Autofill 3. The way Autofill works is so convenient.
    Hi Lee

Glad you're enjoying it so far! I think some of the simpler presets could indeed be bundled inside the plugin for easier access. Others that require applying multiple other effects could get tricky. I'll give it some thought to see if we can make this happen in an update. 
    Hi Rene, there sure is!

We've documented all system requirements here.
    Hi Lee

Glad you're enjoying it so far! I think some of the simpler presets could indeed be bundled inside the plugin for easier access. Others that require applying multiple other effects could get tricky. I'll give it some thought to see if we can make this happen in an update. 
    Thank you very much. The presets in the project file seem difficult to apply, so it would be really innovative if this could be done in the future.
  • Just upgraded from version 2. Impressive performance so far. Really digging the more gorgeous-looking shadows. Also to add, this is a fair pricing; you seem to have learned from last time. And impeccably timed launch too; the Cyber Sale week makes this a deal even harder to pass up.
  • Just upgraded from version 2. Impressive performance so far. Really digging the more gorgeous-looking shadows. Also to add, this is a fair pricing; you seem to have learned from last time. And impeccably timed launch too; the Cyber Sale week makes this a deal even harder to pass up.
    Thanks for your feedback Jerome. I hope you get good use out of the plugin!
  • Can this be used on 3D layers and treat it as a 2D layer? For NPR 3D stuff.
  • Can this be used on 3D layers and treat it as a 2D layer? For NPR 3D stuff.
    Hi Jon, it sure can! You're welcome to download the trial version and test it out, it's free but it will just render with a watermark. 
  • Where is the distance feature that Shadow Studio 2 had? It's exactly what we used the most in the studio where I work. And if this feature doesn't exist in version 3, can you continue selling version 2? because we use it a lot

• Where is the distance feature that Shadow Studio 2 had? It's exactly what we used the most in the studio where I work. And if this feature doesn't exist in version 3, can you continue selling version 2? because we use it a lot

Hi Ricardo

The distance feature is in the standard rendering pipeline. Here's some info:
  • Hi, where are the presets? Thanks
  • Hi, where are the presets? Thanks
    Hi David

We created this video which explains the different methods of installing and using the presets:

• Hi - is there a way to get clean textures instead of it simply fading out? Thanks.
  • Hi - is there a way to get clean textures instead of it simply fading out? Thanks.
    Hi Jon

Could you please elaborate on what you mean by clean textures? If you have a texture set you may want to increase the opacity start and end as well as the Opacity Easing parameter to get the falloff that you're after. 
    Hi Jon

Could you please elaborate on what you mean by clean textures? If you have a texture set you may want to increase the opacity start and end as well as the Opacity Easing parameter to get the falloff that you're after. 
    OK, I noticed it fades out based on the actual opacity - I am looking for it to fade similar to how a dissolve effect would fade... more precise.

Also, does it work like Layer Styles? So it can move with my Shape Path?
  • Hello, I bought shadow studio 2, and suddenly my license is no more. What do I do?
  • Hello, I bought shadow studio 2, and suddenly my license is no more. What do I do?
    Your license is perpetual so you can continue using SS2.  If you want to upgrade to SS3, details here: https://aescripts.com/shadow-studio/#upgrade-notice
    Hi Jon

OK, I noticed it fades out based on the actual opacity - I am looking for it to fade similar to how a dissolve effect would fade... more precise.

Also, does it work like Layer Styles? So it can move with my Shape Path?
    Hi Jon

Yes the texture will fade out with the shadow since it's matted to it. However you can influence this falloff via the matte gamma parameter (values above 1) and also the falloff via the opacity easing in the easing tab. We have these illustrated on our wiki:

It will work on a shape path, although layer styles are special in that they are applied AFTER all other effects are applied, whereas regular effects are applied in the order they appear inside the effects and controls window.  

• Hi

Thanks for this great plugin.
    When I render from Aftereffects via media encoder the plugins giving an error with an X through the words with the shadow effect applied?
    Running AE 2024 on mac MBP M1

Is this possible to fix and render with encoder?
    Thanks
    Trev

• I love this plugin.  I have it on one workstation but would like it on more of the stations.  If we're only using it on one station at a time would the best option be to purchase the floating server license?  And if so is it possible to convert my current license to a server license for a cost?

Thanks!
    Stephen
  • I love this plugin.  I have it on one workstation but would like it on more of the stations.  If we're only using it on one station at a time would the best option be to purchase the floating server license?  And if so is it possible to convert my current license to a server license for a cost?

Thanks!
    Stephen
    Unless you purchased your license within the refund period it is not possible to change a license.

Also make sure you understand how floating licenses work before you purchase it: https://aescripts.com/knowledgebase/index/view/faq/floating-license-faq/

If you have any more questions, please open a support ticket.
  • Hi

Thanks for this great plugin.
    When I render from Aftereffects via media encoder the plugins giving an error with an X through the words with the shadow effect applied?
    Running AE 2024 on mac MBP M1

Is this possible to fix and render with encoder?
    Thanks
    Trev

Hi Trev

Is it just giving you the X in Media Encoder, but not Ae? 

Doing a complete refresh should solve the issue, we can do this by deactivating all licenses and relicensing only on the current device. There are two ways to do this:

Method One
    Go to the aescripts website (log in if required) -> My Account -> My Downloads & Licenses 
    Then next to each product is an info button. Clicking on this will bring up all the devices that used that products license. Deactivate all individually. 

Method Two
    If not installed, install and login. Find the product and click deactivate. Then activate only on the computer you need. 

After either method
    • Restart both AE and Adobe Media Encoder (if used)
    • Purge the cache by going to Edit -> Purge -> All Memory & Disk Cache
    • If you used method 1, you will need to re-enter the license manually 
    If the problem persists please open a support ticket.
  • I was given a project that has Shadow Studio 2 applied. I have V3 so it comes up as a missing effect. Is there a way to have AE replace the plugin where needed? I noticed the parameter selections are different and some are now gone.

• Hi!
    I searched everywhere, but I don't find any way to reverse direction in the utility preset
    Directional point rig. It is always ClockWise direction...

It seems that I cannot change the Direction setting (in red)...

• How many people can use the floating services license if i purchase it?