BG Renderer Pro
  • summary: having both CC 2015 and CC 2014 installed (and the same plugins for both) somehow caused 2014's aerender command line to indefinitely hang (before doing any work) when rendering projects with said plugins

Just bought BG Renderer. Having an issue though - it hangs at "Launching aerenader" and doesn't say anything else. I'm using a 12-core Mac Pro on AE CS2014 with all multiprocessing options turned off (in case that was the issue). 

The project isn't terribly big -- 1GB of source data and I shortened the render work area to 10 seconds for testing. Any ideas?

Update: I might have narrowed it down to comps that are using Trapcode plugins...

Update2: it seems to be any _project_ that uses a Trapcode plugin. Even a comp that doesn't have an the effect applied will hang in the same way. 

Update3: running aerender directly has the same problem. It hangs after "PROGRESS: ...After Effects successfully launched" with the same configuration. So I suspect the problem isn't BG Renderer but does anyone know if this is a known issue or expected behavior? 

Update4: I have both AE CC 2014 and 2015 installed. The issue doesn't exist in 2015, so the problem might be related to both being on the same machine (or maybe two installs of my plugins). In any case, I can render using CC 2015. Hope this helps someone.
  • I'm having the same issues as "Eric Winchell" with AE 2014.
  • I'm having the same issues as "Eric Winchell" with AE 2014.
    Did you try Eric's solution?
  • Hi Lloyd - Just wondering why in the "Compatibility" tab it doesn't show CC2015. Or for that matter CS6. Is it compatible? Any bugginess?
  • Hi Lloyd - Just wondering why in the "Compatibility" tab it doesn't show CC2015. Or for that matter CS6. Is it compatible? Any bugginess?
    It works fine in CC2015 (only reported issue is a false warning that the render did not start but it does start and renders fine). If you are seeing another issue please open a support ticket and let us know and we'll try our best to help.
  • Hi,

the plugin work fine except for send email and SMS. The configuration and email test is good. I think there is a problem with the langage of my OS and the accent. BG renderer says at the end :

Erreur en entrée : impossible de trouver le fichier script "C:\Users\Propri�taire\...\bgRenderer_Helper.vbs"

In english I think it's : Error in entrance : impossible to find file script :

What I have to do for fix this ?

I am on AFX CC2015.

Kind regards.
  • Hi,

the plugin work fine except for send email and SMS. The configuration and email test is good. I think there is a problem with the langage of my OS and the accent. BG renderer says at the end :

Erreur en entrée : impossible de trouver le fichier script "C:\Users\Propri�taire\...\bgRenderer_Helper.vbs"

In english I think it's : Error in entrance : impossible to find file script :

What I have to do for fix this ?

I am on AFX CC2015.

Kind regards.
    At the moment the only solution is to remove the accent from your path.
  • I'm wondering how is this rendering way working with pt_OpenSesame Server, if it does...

Any experiences?

https://aescripts.com/pt_opensesame-server/
  • Hi Lloyd,

Bg Renderer just randomly stopped working.
    I am using CC 2014 on a 2014 Mac Book Pro.
    I redownloaded and reinstalled and it still produces the same error.
    Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
    Adam.

This is what I get when I launch BG:

TO MAKE SURE YOU DON'T LOSE IT

tee: /Users/o__________o/Documents/**WORK**/B/INFO PANES.aep Logs/BGRenderer Logs/BGRenderer 02-25-16 10-39-03 AM.txt: No such file or directory

RENDERING: INFO PANES.aep

tee: /Users/o__________o/Documents/**WORK**/B/INFO PANES.aep Logs/BGRenderer Logs/BGRenderer 02-25-16 10-39-03 AM.txt: No such file or directory

Launching aerender...

/Applications/Adobe After Effects CC 2014/aerender: No match.

egrep: /Users/o__________o/Documents/**WORK**/B/INFO PANES.aep Logs/BGRenderer Logs/BGRenderer 02-25-16 10-39-03 AM.txt: No such file or directory

egrep: /Users/o__________o/Documents/**WORK**/B/INFO PANES.aep Logs/BGRenderer Logs/BGRenderer 02-25-16 10-39-03 AM.txt: No such file or directory

BG Renderer is done, have a nice day!

logout

[Process completed]

• Hi Lloyd,

Bg Renderer just randomly stopped working.
    I am using CC 2014 on a 2014 Mac Book Pro.
    I redownloaded and reinstalled and it still produces the same error.
    Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
    Adam.

This is what I get when I launch BG:

TO MAKE SURE YOU DON'T LOSE IT

RENDERING: INFO PANES.aep

Launching aerender...

/Applications/Adobe After Effects CC 2014/aerender: No match.

BG Renderer is done, have a nice day!

logout

[Process completed]

Try removing the asterisks from your path
  • Try removing the asterisks from your path

Just gave that a shot. Same results.
    Im assuming you are referring to the **WORK** directory.
    This has been in the file path for every render I have made with BG, at this point probably 1000's of renders.
    Any other thoughts?

A.

• Try removing the asterisks from your path

Just gave that a shot. Same results.
    Im assuming you are referring to the **WORK** directory.
    This has been in the file path for every render I have made with BG, at this point probably 1000's of renders.
    Any other thoughts?

A.

Then it might be a permissions issue. It can't access the directory so it won't be able to render.  Does it work when rendering to the desktop or another safe destination?
  • Then it might be a permissions issue. It can't access the directory so it won't be able to render.  Does it work when rendering to the desktop or another safe destination?
    Nope. Thats not it either. Tried rendering to the desktop too - still no love. Like I said Ive used BGR a LOT and it just randomly stopped working....bummer.
    Can you think of anything else?

Thanks for your help!!
    A.
  • Then it might be a permissions issue. It can't access the directory so it won't be able to render.  Does it work when rendering to the desktop or another safe destination?
    Nope. Thats not it either. Tried rendering to the desktop too - still no love. Like I said Ive used BGR a LOT and it just randomly stopped working....bummer.
    Can you think of anything else?

Thanks for your help!!
    A.
    Can you try with a new simple project?  Something is clearly corrupted so it's best to start fresh and go one step at a time until you find the culprit.

You can also open a support ticket and use us the BG Renderer.command file.
  • I recently upgraded from Win7 to Win10 and have mainly used BG Renderer for that multi-machine hack, running 8-10 instances at once and it worked a treat.

However, since the upgrade, I can't get it launch more than 1 instance which renders the composition.  Granted, other instances do open in the Terminal/Command window, but they go no further than as shown in the screen shot, leaving all the work up to the first instance.

Latest version of AE, running on Win10 with dual Xeons, 56Gb RAM & GTX980Ti, so the hardware power is there.  Has anybody else had this problem?  Any solutions?
    BG-Renderer-Pro-screenshot.jpg
    543 x 301 - 18K
  • I recently upgraded from Win7 to Win10 and have mainly used BG Renderer for that multi-machine hack, running 8-10 instances at once and it worked a treat.

However, since the upgrade, I can't get it launch more than 1 instance which renders the composition.  Granted, other instances do open in the Terminal/Command window, but they go no further than as shown in the screen shot, leaving all the work up to the first instance.

Latest version of AE, running on Win10 with dual Xeons, 56Gb RAM & GTX980Ti, so the hardware power is there.  Has anybody else had this problem?  Any solutions?

This is clearly an issue with your video card and After Effects. You will need to contact Adobe and/or NVidia for help. Tell them you are unable to launch aerender since installing or upgrading your card. No point in mentioning BG Renderer as that is not the issue and will just confuse them or give them a scapegoat.
  • Oddly, the multi-machine hack seems to work by relaunching BG Renderer numerous times via AE.  Using the .cmd file it makes in the project folder has no effect, despite up-to-date everything...
  • Oddly, the multi-machine hack seems to work by relaunching BG Renderer numerous times via AE.  Using the .cmd file it makes in the project folder has no effect, despite up-to-date everything...
    This is what the "Save BG Launcher" feature is for. Check out the tutorial for details: 
  • Will this work in conjunction with templater?
  • Will this work in conjunction with templater?
    It will worked with any queued render queue.
  • Windows defender keeps popping up saying the following - Worm:VBS/Jenxcus.CF located in \BG_Renderer_supportFiles\bgRenderer_Helper.vbs

False positive?
  • Windows defender keeps popping up saying the following - Worm:VBS/Jenxcus.CF located in \BG_Renderer_supportFiles\bgRenderer_Helper.vbs

False positive?
    I would delete the file and reinstall fresh to make sure that file has not been externally infected. Our file is obviously not a virus.
  • I'm getting an error ; ' Activating fonts for project that did not trigger a 'Missing fonts dialog' Probably because the font was already activated.
  • I'm getting an error ; ' Activating fonts for project that did not trigger a 'Missing fonts dialog' Probably because the font was already activated.
    This is an aerender issue, nothing to do with BG Renderer. Please contact Adobe for help with this.
  • To all who are experiencing RAM error issues: I did some heavy testing. I think the RAM issues (at least that I've been experiencing) are due to using Sapphire (and possibly Red Giant) plugins. Took all the layers off that had those effects applied and it works fine. Granted, I'm at a studio that might not have the latest version of these plugins for AE CC 2014 installed so that's probably why. Everything at home works just fine. Try updating all your plugins and see if you're still having any issues.
  • To all who are experiencing RAM error issues: I did some heavy testing. I think the RAM issues (at least that I've been experiencing) are due to using Sapphire (and possibly Red Giant) plugins. Took all the layers off that had those effects applied and it works fine. Granted, I'm at a studio that might not have the latest version of these plugins for AE CC 2014 installed so that's probably why. Everything at home works just fine. Try updating all your plugins and see if you're still having any issues.
    There was definitely some issues with older Sapphire plugins and aerender but they have been fixed so defintely make sure you are using the latest version. Have not heard of any issues with Red Giant plugins.
  • I'm also having Windows defender come up with the same false positive and now BGRenderer starts and 'finishes' without rendering a single frame.  What's the 'reinstall' method to ensure fresh files are created in the appropriate places.
  • I'm also having Windows defender come up with the same false positive and now BGRenderer starts and 'finishes' without rendering a single frame.  What's the 'reinstall' method to ensure fresh files are created in the appropriate places.

I've also been hitting this wall. I've made exceptions to the folder and the BG_Renderer files in Windows Defender. The error I'm getting now is below, Has anyone created a workaround/fix yet?

BG Renderer v2.12
    RENDERING: PDN-open_title-r01.aep
    Launching aerender...
    aerender version 13.7.1x6
    After Effects can't continue: sorry, After Effects has crashed. For After Effects Help and Support, go to http://www.adobe.com/go/learn_ae_support. If you still can't resolve the issue, please contact Adobe Technical Support (2).

BG Renderer is done, have a nice day.

Press any key to close this window...

• I've also been hitting this wall. I've made exceptions to the folder and the BG_Renderer files in Windows Defender. The error I'm getting now is below, Has anyone created a workaround/fix yet?

BG Renderer v2.12
    RENDERING: PDN-open_title-r01.aep
    Launching aerender...
    After Effects can't continue: sorry, After Effects has crashed. For After Effects Help and Support, go to http://www.adobe.com/go/learn_ae_support. If you still can't resolve the issue, please contact Adobe Technical Support (2).

Sounds like an issue with either your project or your AE installation. Also double check that you are not using any plugins that are not compatible with rendering on the command line.
    You should make exceptions to the folder and the BG_Renderer files in Windows Defender
  • Hi Lloyd, i've made exclusions to these folders so far

\program files\adobe
    \users\appdata\roaming\aescripts
    \users\appdata\roaming\aescripts\bgrenderer

i'm rendering a batch of comps at the moment, when they complete, i'll restart and try bgrender again. this has made me realise how important bgrender really is to my workflow! I hope i can get it working again.
  • I've downloaded the trail version, but I'm having problem. I tried to launch several instances. All instances of the renderer are working on the same frames - not skipping the ones that are already being processed by another instance. I'm working in AE CC2015, OSX.
  • I've downloaded the trail version, but I'm having problem. I tried to launch several instances. All instances of the renderer are working on the same frames - not skipping the ones that are already being processed by another instance. I'm working in AE CC2015, OSX.

You need to check "Skip existing frames" in your render settings
  • Hey,

I used BG Renderer on a quasi-daily basis but then I recently updated from win 8.1 to win 10 and am running now into the same issue as rik bogusz, with the exception that windows defender never came up as its deactivated:

Error message:

BG Renderer v2.12

RENDERING: bs test.aep

Launching aerender...
    After Effects can't continue: sorry, After Effects has crashed. For After Effects Help and Support, go to http://www.adobe.com/go/learn_ae_support. If you still can't resolve the issue, please contact Adobe Technical Support (2).

It`s not the project, as I created a new one with just one comp and one layer and no plugins whatsoever. I reinstalled AE from the creative-cloud app, but still get the same error message.

Otherwise ae does its job as expected.

I do have changed my hardware in one way: I unplugged my gtx980 and have temporarily the other 980ti that is in there as primary card and a netstor egpu rig installed (containing 4 extra 980ti). Do you reckon this could interfere with the ae-commandline-thingy bg renderer does?

cheerio
    michi
  • Hey,

I used BG Renderer on a quasi-daily basis but then I recently updated from win 8.1 to win 10 and am running now into the same issue as rik bogusz, with the exception that windows defender never came up as its deactivated:

Error message:

BG Renderer v2.12

Launching aerender...
    After Effects can't continue: sorry, After Effects has crashed. For After Effects Help and Support, go to http://www.adobe.com/go/learn_ae_support. If you still can't resolve the issue, please contact Adobe Technical Support (2).

It`s not the project, as I created a new one with just one comp and one layer and no plugins whatsoever. I reinstalled AE from the creative-cloud app, but still get the same error message.

I do have changed my hardware in one way: I unplugged my gtx980 and have temporarily the other 980ti that is in there as primary card and a netstor egpu rig installed (containing 4 extra 980ti). Do you reckon this could interfere with the ae-commandline-thingy bg renderer does?

cheerio
    michi
    This is an "aerender" issue not a BG Renderer issue so please contact Adobe for help but yes if you changed the graphics card and it started crashing the I would suspect that is the culprit. You should definitely mention this to Adobe when you contact them.
  • Hey,
    Error message:
    BG Renderer v2.12https://aescripts.com
    Launching aerender...aerender version 13.7.1x6After Effects can't continue: sorry, After Effects has crashed. For After Effects Help and Support, go to http://www.adobe.com/go/learn_ae_support. If you still can't resolve the issue, please contact Adobe Technical Support (2).

cheeriomichi
    This is an "aerender" issue not a BG Renderer issue so please contact Adobe for help but yes if you changed the graphics card and it started crashing the I would suspect that is the culprit. You should definitely mention this to Adobe when you contact them. hey again,

I didn`t have much time for adobe support go through every detail of the possible source of my problem (as proper problem solving needs time and communication), so i rolled back to win 8.1 and everything is well again. i do get this before bg renderer starts though: 

Optix has 3 devices available for use.
    Non-default knobs:

Non-default knobs:

and then it starts chugging through the frames as usual.
  • hey again,

I didn`t have much time for adobe support go through every detail of the possible source of my problem (as proper problem solving needs time and communication), so i rolled back to win 8.1 and everything is well again. i do get this before bg renderer starts though: 

Optix has 3 devices available for use.
    Non-default knobs:

Non-default knobs:

and then it starts chugging through the frames as usual.
    Sounds like an issue with your video card. The command line renderer doesn't use the GPU so that might be part of the confusion but again this is a question/issue for Adobe.
  • Hi,
    I have an issue with licensing. I'm on a 16 core unit - Adobe CC team plan. 
    When I run more than 4 BG windows, the 5th BG window gives me this message:

BG Renderer v2.12

RENDERING: infographics_integratiojn_v09.aep

Launching aerender...
    aerender version 13.7x124
    After Effects error: Unable to obtain a license. Please run the full application to correct the problem or get a more detailed message.

Any ideas whats causing this?

Cheers,
    Erik
  • Hi,
    I have an issue with licensing. I'm on a 16 core unit - Adobe CC team plan. 
    When I run more than 4 BG windows, the 5th BG window gives me this message:

BG Renderer v2.12

RENDERING: infographics_integratiojn_v09.aep

Launching aerender...
    aerender version 13.7x124
    After Effects error: Unable to obtain a license. Please run the full application to correct the problem or get a more detailed message.

Any ideas whats causing this?

Cheers,
    Erik
    This is an issue with your After Effects license, please contact Adobe for help with that.
  • can we use it to render video using command line just like aerender? i really need it if its rendering video through command line?
  • LaL XaDa said:
    can we use it to render video using command line just like aerender? i really need it if its rendering video through command line?

Yes, it renders on the command line using aerender.
  • Yes, it renders on the command line using aerender.
    Thanks.
    How can i render using BG Renderer from command line?
    Will it works well with "Render multiple frames simultaneously". Mostly background rendering causing issue with "Render multiple frames" and start rendering using foreground rendering...
  • LaL XaDa said:

Thanks.
    How can i render using BG Renderer from command line?
    Will it works well with "Render multiple frames simultaneously". Mostly background rendering causing issue with "Render multiple frames" and start rendering using foreground rendering...

Yes it does. Please try the free trial to make sure it works as you expect.
  • Yes it does. Please try the free trial to make sure it works as you expect.
    I already have trial version and its working from After Effect Application.

How we can hit BG renderer from command line? like aerender -project project.aepx -comp Final -output out.mov
  • LaL XaDa said:

Yes it does. Please try the free trial to make sure it works as you expect.

I already have trial version and its working from After Effect Application.

How we can hit BG renderer from command line? like aerender -project project.aepx -comp Final -output out.mov

BG Renderer is designed to launch a BG render from AE. If you want to launch aerender directly on the command line yourself then you don't need BG renderer. Again please try the trial version and watch the tutorial video to understand how it works.
  • Hey Lloyd, I'm getting an error that says Lumetri needs to be re-installed. Any export through bg render will disable Lumetri. 

I'm on v2.12, windows 10, ae cc 2015. Anything jump out at you? Haven't seen anyone else with this issue. 
  • Jay Smith said:

Hey Lloyd, I'm getting an error that says Lumetri needs to be re-installed. Any export through bg render will disable Lumetri. 

I'm on v2.12, windows 10, ae cc 2015. Anything jump out at you? Haven't seen anyone else with this issue. 
    Sorry for the obvious answer but have you reinstalled Lumetri? Otherwise you might want to contact Adobe and let them know you are having issues with Lumentri and aerender.
  • has anyone else solved their

"After Effects can't continue: sorry, After Effects has crashed. For After Effects Help and Support, go to http://www.adobe.com/go/learn_ae_support. If you still can't resolve the issue, please contact Adobe Technical Support (2)."

problem yet on a windows 10 system? i've reinstalled ae 13.7, reinstalled bg renderer, created fresh prefs files, etc...i installed today's update of ae, v13.8 hoping that would resolve the issue, yet it still persists. 

UPDATE- one new feature in the new 13.8 update may be an alternate solution to bg render. testing now.

• Add compositions to Adobe Media Encoder with render settings 

• has anyone else solved their

"After Effects can't continue: sorry, After Effects has crashed. For After Effects Help and Support, go to http://www.adobe.com/go/learn_ae_support. If you still can't resolve the issue, please contact Adobe Technical Support (2)."

Have you contacted Adobe? This is a bug on their end. And Media Encoder has been available for many version but it's a very different workflow than BG Renderer.