Composite Brush
  • Wade Ha said:
    The latest Mac version 1.4.1 is downloading a Mac Alias file (CompositeBrush.plugin) instead of the actual file.
    I have no idea how I could've screwed that up, thanks so much for the notification, I will look into this now.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Composite Brush Creator
  • Wade Ha said:
    The latest Mac version 1.4.1 is downloading a Mac Alias file (CompositeBrush.plugin) instead of the actual file.
    I've reverted the download to version 1.4.0 for now. I'll double check everything and get 1.4.1 back in order ASAP. 1.4.1 does not have any critical updates, it's the same as v1.4.0 with a minor update to the licensing system, so there's no harm in using 1.4.0 for now.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Composite Brush Creator
  • Used v1.3 all last week without any issues. Installed 1.4 this morning and I'm getting all sorts of popups for drawing errors and out-of-memory. Same project, same footage, same workflows - the only difference being the composite brush upgrade and I'm still using using hair 1.3.

Win 10 
    AE 16.1.2
    Intel i9
    128GB Ram
    2 x nVidia 1080Ti 
  • Used v1.3 all last week without any issues. Installed 1.4 this morning and I'm getting all sorts of popups for drawing errors and out-of-memory. Same project, same footage, same workflows - the only difference being the composite brush upgrade and I'm still using using hair 1.3.

Win 10 
    AE 16.1.2
    Intel i9
    128GB Ram
    2 x nVidia 1080Ti 
    Pleas submit a help ticket https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1

Please also check the "about" section of the Plug-in, and let me know if it's 1.4.0, or 1.4.1. The only difference between them is 1.4.1 has an update to the licensing system, the features are exactly the same. I've been using 1.4.0 for quite a long time and never had any issues. I can send you that build through a help ticket if you're on 1.4.1. 

Cheers,
    Chris
    Composite Brush Creator
  • hi..i was working with composite brush 1.3, everything was working great but suddenly my AE crashed...when i reopened my project the green screen that i had already removed came back while all the parameters that i have tweaked in Com.Brush was still intact... is there a way to resolve this ?? please help ! :)  
  • hi..i was working with composite brush 1.3, everything was working great but suddenly my AE crashed...when i reopened my project the green screen that i had already removed came back while all the parameters that i have tweaked in Com.Brush was still intact... is there a way to resolve this ?? please help ! :)  
    Please submit a support ticket for further help on this issue: https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1

That being said, as a fundamental rule, there is no way to get data back from a project that hasn't been saved, unless you get lucky and there's a copy in the auto-save folder. But if you collect your composition and send it to me via the help ticket attachment, I'd still be glad to take a look at the state of your project file and see what data remains, and maybe offer some suggestions on how to key it easily.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Composite Brush Creator
  • This is excellent. I've been working on a project with a very tricky key and Composite Brush has almost entirely replaced Keylight and Primatte for me. Not only does it do a great job of pulling a key in a specific range, it's been successful with changing lighting conditions within a clip. After pulling the key (and I export with alpha, using that as an alpha matte), I can use CB to change the HSV of the green fringe that is so often left over that spill killers don't quite handle well.

My only notes are that sometimes the plugin can get a little confused when using an Alt+drag to remove colors from the key and sometimes adds them to it. This is usually corrected by doing it again, but the stored brush information can sometimes get a little muddy. But I expect that will improve with future versions (also, part of it may be a learning curve). 

Well done and thanks.
  • This is excellent. I've been working on a project with a very tricky key and Composite Brush has almost entirely replaced Keylight and Primatte for me. Not only does it do a great job of pulling a key in a specific range, it's been successful with changing lighting conditions within a clip. After pulling the key (and I export with alpha, using that as an alpha matte), I can use CB to change the HSV of the green fringe that is so often left over that spill killers don't quite handle well.

My only notes are that sometimes the plugin can get a little confused when using an Alt+drag to remove colors from the key and sometimes adds them to it. This is usually corrected by doing it again, but the stored brush information can sometimes get a little muddy. But I expect that will improve with future versions (also, part of it may be a learning curve). 

Well done and thanks.
    Thanks for the feedback! Yes, we have big plans for Composite Brush now that Lockdown is out. We can look into the issues with the click/alt-click failure. I thought I saw that once or twice before, hoped it was my imagination or a finger slip, but I'm sure if you're getting it, it's legit. As for the stored brush info getting muddy, please try setting your precision down to 97. That way it terminates any colors that are too similar within 3%. It will greatly smooth out your key, and make selection easier. Precision defaults at 100, in retrospect, that number is too high for most general use cases and it should default around 97.
    Please reach out anytime with feedback or difficult shots, I'm always glad to open them up and try to get a good key. Worst case scenario it gives us ideas for improving the keyer.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Composite Brush Creator
  • I second the request for OFX support (I use Fusion). It doesn't always happen, but creating for OFX can allow multiple software options right out the gate (multiple software, more customers (also more headaches, I'd guess ;) )). I'd purchase, but I've found it doesn't work in earlier versions of AE, so I'm out until the OFX version is released. (Lockdown would be great OFX'd as well) Count me in for both when it happens!

Keep up the great work!
  • Premiere & OFX please!
  • Having lots problems to key sky, always get blue contamination, tried hair 1.3 and 1.4 and its impossible for me, ¿Any solution?

• Having lots problems to key sky, always get blue contamination, tried hair 1.3 and 1.4 and its impossible for me, ¿Any solution?

Please submit a help ticket 

I was able to fix up your shot pretty quickly, I've got a few tricks I can show you. I assumed your ship would be a dark gray, so I used a gray background. Take a look:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/16oij8ejitzdhfh/example.png?dl=0

On the left is a raw key. There is always going to be heavy blue contamination because the leaves are semi-transparent, and their pixels are mixed with sky blue. The branches are thinner than a single pixel, so they're also blending with the sky blue, and reasonably contaminated. Even with the best key in the world that perfectly models an objects transparency, contamination with the background color is guaranteed. The fix for this is comparing the alpha channel to the color, and removing the background color. There is an effect for this "Remove Color Matting".

In the image above on the right, I applied a few filters.
    I used "Remove Color Matting" with the Hair 1.4 mode, and set "Remove Color Matting"'s color to the sky blue. You also can benefit from using the advanced spill suppressor to target areas that weren't semi transparent, but were contaminated with natural spill. I'd be glad to do a short screen capture walkthrough for you if you submit a help ticket!

Cheers,
    Chris
    Composite Brush Creator
  • Hi, i love this, but i have some problems with masking, the plugin seems to ignore my masks/behaves weirdly. Precomping or using mattes solves that, but is that a feature or a bug?
  • Hi, i love this, but i have some problems with masking, the plugin seems to ignore my masks/behaves weirdly. Precomping or using mattes solves that, but is that a feature or a bug?
    It's a bug, but it's an After Effects bug, not ours. We noticed the same thing happening with Keylight and other alpha modifying Plugins, when Composite Brush isn't installed. Although it's hard to pin down exactly how to make it happen, because sometimes it works with Composite Brush too.
    Also, you'll notice everything renders correctly after you purge the memory, but you can't be doing that every 10 seconds. I hate to say it but the current workaround is as you suggested, to just use a solid layer above your CB layer as an alpha matte. This bug is likely temporary, I'm sure Adobe will fix it soon, they tend to be pretty good about this kind of thing. If not, we can look into a method of invalidating the CB cache when a matte change is detected.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Composite Brush Creator
  • The Stencil Alpha key using Composite brush looks good at Full Resolution in AE but after exporting to ProRes 4444 the key is completely different. Any thoughts?
  • The Stencil Alpha key using Composite brush looks good at Full Resolution in AE but after exporting to ProRes 4444 the key is completely different. Any thoughts?
    That sounds very strange. Did you export via Media Encoder, or straight through the Render queue? could you send in either a screen capture, or a project file via a help ticket?
    System info, ae version, etc... could also be helpful.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Composite Brush Creator

• Hey chris (and others),

I've been consistently having problems with crashes. There is an error invoking the effect. Some of these are older projects where I have 3 different keying solutions stacked on a layer to a/b them and right now it's not even turned on. I just downloaded the latest version to see if that would help but now I can't even animate a few images because somewhere AE is being grumpy. has anyone else seen this issue?
  • Hey chris (and others),

I've been consistently having problems with crashes. There is an error invoking the effect. Some of these are older projects where I have 3 different keying solutions stacked on a layer to a/b them and right now it's not even turned on. I just downloaded the latest version to see if that would help but now I can't even animate a few images because somewhere AE is being grumpy. has anyone else seen this issue?
    I have not seen this error, can you please send a project file via a help ticket? Is it possible there's an installation issue with multiple copies of the effect? It would be great to know your previous version of Composite Brush, and operating system, and hopefully we can reproduce and patch. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Cheers,
    Chris
    Composite Brush Creator
  • How do you click and drag on the footage without moving the clip?  Just downloaded the demo.

Thanks!
  • How do you click and drag on the footage without moving the clip?  Just downloaded the demo.

Thanks!
    Please watch this video, you just need to turn the effects UI controls back on.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-vCqsEexeE&feature=emb_title

Cheers,
    Chris
    Composite Brush Creator
  • Hi Chris,

It is possible to install the same license of Composite Brush on two workstation, and deactivate the plugin on one and activate it on the other and vice-versa?

You know because Im working from home sometime.

Thank
  • PLEASE make Matte Choke slider less sensitive! I can't image situation when someone need choke more then 100
  • Amc Cdm said:
    PLEASE make Matte Choke slider less sensitive! I can't image situation when someone need choke more then 100
    If you hold Control as you scroll it, it should be more sensitive.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Composite Brush Creator
  • Hey Mr Vranos. 
    Amazing Plugin. Works so fast and acurate and the new V1.6 is so good.
    1080 project is fast as. But when I do anything in 4K it's extremely slow. Not only the render but keying it's self almost feels buggy in 4K. Doable with patience. 
     I do have a fast computer just like yours with a RTX 2070 Super GPU. 
    Any thoughts on speeding up 4K or is there nothing to be done? 
  • Hey Mr Vranos. 
    Amazing Plugin. Works so fast and acurate and the new V1.6 is so good.
    1080 project is fast as. But when I do anything in 4K it's extremely slow. Not only the render but keying it's self almost feels buggy in 4K. Doable with patience. 
     I do have a fast computer just like yours with a RTX 2070 Super GPU. 
    Any thoughts on speeding up 4K or is there nothing to be done? 
    The new Soft 1.6 mode is brutally slow as-is, but if you press Optimize and Soften after you're done painting, it will speed up a ton during playback. That button is super important. Unfortunately we can't just run it after you're done brushing, but eventually we'll be able to take it out and have it be an automatic process, so you don't need to press the button. The big issue is the optimization process takes about 10 seconds, so running it automatically would slow down interactive speeds.
    Make sure you've upgraded to Ae 17.1.2, we noticed some odd playback issues with high res footage in Ae 17.1.1 which made 4k and 6k footage inexplicably slow. So it might just be your current version of After Effects?
    Also, during brushing, you could work at quarter res when you grab colors, then press "Optimize and soften" then go back to full res for playback. We are aware this is a speed issue. For some perspective, our Unreal version of Composite Brush was running 4k, 60fps in real time, and we'll eventually get those optimizations over to After Effects, even for the Soft 1.6 mode.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Composite Brush Creator
  • I keep getting issues with the alt drag adding to the key. I then struggle with areas just I'd like to key out reappearing when I fill a color back in. 
    For example, struggling to get rid of the areas up top in the face where the guy is wearing a mask that matches parts of the color on the shirt. 
  • I keep getting issues with the alt drag adding to the key. I then struggle with areas just I'd like to key out reappearing when I fill a color back in. 
    For example, struggling to get rid of the areas up top in the face where the guy is wearing a mask that matches parts of the color on the shirt. 
    If the forground color and the background color are exactly the same RGB value, (the color on the shirt and the face) you can't assign one to be transparent, and another to be opaque. You'd need to manually draw a mask.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Composite Brush Creator
  • Hi, I keep having issues with Composite Brush grabbing the layer and not pulling a key.  When I click the layer, it moves position.

I do have Toggle Mask and Shape Visibility checked.  The issue still occurs.  Please help.
  • Hi, I keep having issues with Composite Brush grabbing the layer and not pulling a key.  When I click the layer, it moves position.

I do have Toggle Mask and Shape Visibility checked.  The issue still occurs.  Please help.
    So youve also checked the hotkey to toggle the UI interactions?

Please send in a help ticket with either a screen recording or a project file. also let us know if you're working via remote access, or anything that might interfere with mouse interactions.

https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1

Cheers,
    Chris
    Composite Brush Creator
  • Hey Chris.

Wanted to try this out but all files within the package seem to be 1kb big and upon opening AE I'm getting errors up everywhere.  Am I the only one going through this?  Sorry about such a stupid question and thanks for your time.

Dave
  • Hey Chris.

Wanted to try this out but all files within the package seem to be 1kb big and upon opening AE I'm getting errors up everywhere.  Am I the only one going through this?  Sorry about such a stupid question and thanks for your time.

Dave
    Can you try to install it via the aescripts manager app?
    https://aescripts.com/learn/aescripts-aeplugins-manager-app/

If the manager app doesn't instantly solve your problem, can you also please send in a help ticket with a screen capture or video on how you're installing it? I can't imagine why you're getting that error, my guess is those files you're looking at are hidden files or something. I have all hidden files shown on my PC, and there are tons of weird aliases and reference files everywhere named the same as the base file. I'm sure we can get to the bottom of it.
    https://aescripts.com/contact/?product_id=1331

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Once I alt click an area I want to preserve after clicking an area I want gone, the entire scene turns "red". It looks nothing like what appears in the tutorials. I have to then go through and struggle with really scraping the areas I want preserved. Do you know what I can do?
  • Once I alt click an area I want to preserve after clicking an area I want gone, the entire scene turns "red". It looks nothing like what appears in the tutorials. I have to then go through and struggle with really scraping the areas I want preserved. Do you know what I can do?
    It turns red because the transfer mode is set to "HSV Color". Set the Transfer Mode to "Stencil Alpha" or "Silhouette Alpha" to remove the alpha channel.
    If you feel like it takes too much brushing to select areas, it's possible your foreground colors might be exact matches to your background colors, in which case, each selection of one will undo the other. Composite Brush can't separate identical colors. Try to set your precision to 95%, which will allow for less brushing, and it'll make more aggressive assumptions at which colors to remove.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Composite Brush Creator
    It turns red because the transfer mode is set to "HSV Color". Set the Transfer Mode to "Stencil Alpha" or "Silhouette Alpha" to remove the alpha channel.
    If you feel like it takes too much brushing to select areas, it's possible your foreground colors might be exact matches to your background colors, in which case, each selection of one will undo the other. Composite Brush can't separate identical colors. Try to set your precision to 95%, which will allow for less brushing, and it'll make more aggressive assumptions at which colors to remove.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Composite Brush Creator
    Thank you for clarifying. There are a lot of nuanced ways in which things occur alongside which particular path you take between HSV and Stencil alpha that I think could be outlined a bit better. Also, a bit confusing for individuals that may stumble upon older tutorial videos that have methodology potentially replaced with newer videos.
  • Hey Chris, 

between CB and LKDWN I'm a very happy vfx artist... thanks for all your hard work! I have a quick question, after updating Ae to vers 17.6.0 build [46] when using the alt key with CB in a 3d comp it defaults to the camera tool in Ae and i am unable to make inverse selections. Therefore pre-comping seems to be the only way to go for now. If you have any ideas any help here would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers, 
    Rich   
  • Hey Chris, 

between CB and LKDWN I'm a very happy vfx artist... thanks for all your hard work! I have a quick question, after updating Ae to vers 17.6.0 build [46] when using the alt key with CB in a 3d comp it defaults to the camera tool in Ae and i am unable to make inverse selections. Therefore pre-comping seems to be the only way to go for now. If you have any ideas any help here would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers, 
    Rich   
    The control key also acts as the inverse selection button as of Composite Brush 1.6.1 to avoid this conflict. So make sure you're updated to the latest version, and start using Control instead of alt. Glad you're enjoying it, let us know if you have other questions.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Composite Brush Creator
  • Hi Chris--

I think this is a great product that is going to help me with a shot that [while seemingly simple] Keylight is completely falling apart on. But I'm a bit scrambled between the various tutorials. Is there a consolidated user manual somewhere that's up-to-date? Some questions:
    - Is there any reason for the 'older' matte type modes at all? (Strange to then default to an obsolete variety?)
    - Does that also mean the presets/macros (e.g. "Key Hair") are kinda deprecated since they set it up with 'old' settings?
    - Am I supposed to 'only click once' to set a key color? So ctrol-clicking multiple times for 'opaque' is OK, but just do one click for keyed color? One of the tutorials suggested that but I wasn't quite clear (I think it was a bit in which you were demonstrating 'despill' by grabbing all the spilled colors).
    - Is the plugin color-space-aware in any way? Does it work better with a 'prepped' image like many other keyers (contrasty/saturated/even R or G or B for key color)? Log vs. Lin make any difference?
    - If we hit "optimize and soften key" and then make changes... it just kinda 'undoes' that... and then we can do it again whenever we're ready?

Apologies for so many questions! It's getting really impressive results for me... sometimes. It's just unpredictable at the moment. So I think if I learn it better it can become predictable. :)
  • Hi Chris--

I think this is a great product that is going to help me with a shot that [while seemingly simple] Keylight is completely falling apart on. But I'm a bit scrambled between the various tutorials. Is there a consolidated user manual somewhere that's up-to-date? Some questions:
    - Is there any reason for the 'older' matte type modes at all? (Strange to then default to an obsolete variety?)
    - Does that also mean the presets/macros (e.g. "Key Hair") are kinda deprecated since they set it up with 'old' settings?
    - Am I supposed to 'only click once' to set a key color? So ctrol-clicking multiple times for 'opaque' is OK, but just do one click for keyed color? One of the tutorials suggested that but I wasn't quite clear (I think it was a bit in which you were demonstrating 'despill' by grabbing all the spilled colors).
    - Is the plugin color-space-aware in any way? Does it work better with a 'prepped' image like many other keyers (contrasty/saturated/even R or G or B for key color)? Log vs. Lin make any difference?
    - If we hit "optimize and soften key" and then make changes... it just kinda 'undoes' that... and then we can do it again whenever we're ready?

Apologies for so many questions! It's getting really impressive results for me... sometimes. It's just unpredictable at the moment. So I think if I learn it better it can become predictable. :)
    The main page is sort of a consolidated user manual, I think we need to just delete all the old tutorials.
    The only old matte type that I think still has value is "hard" because it processes so fast. The rest? Probably not... We cant remove them though because a lot of users have made tool kits with the other matte type, and need their old project files to render exactly the same each time they're opened. 
    You can click as many times as you want, that "only click once" thing was an issue with Hair 1.3. 
    It probably does work best with sRGB or rec709. These colorspaces store values in such a way that the increment is by visual perception, therefor falloff will be most "even" to the human eye when working with these values. 
    "Optimize and Soften" can be done as many times as you want. Yes, just press it again. It just removes some redundancies, and honestly should just happen automatically after every time you're done brushing, we just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Composite Brush Creator
  • Can I use this too change skin color from black to brown or white
    ?
  • Can I use this too change skin color from black to brown or white ?
    Maybe, but changing skin color is very hard because skin has complex reflective properties. Skin color is defined by diffuse reflections, but all human skin also has significant specular reflections. If you attempt to key skin color and change it, you're going to change the specular reflections. I'd say you could maybe change it just slightly, but a big change is not going to work, because there's no way to separate the two.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Lockdown Creator
  • Hi i'm playing around with the demo, i do a lot of keying and it would be super useful to me, but with composite brush i always get a big green border around the subject, i tried different clips from different sets, it works good overall but i always get this 4-5 pixel border around the person, especially around the hairs; if i try to click in the border it usually messes up the keying, looking at your clip of the girl in the blue shirt it seems so easy i can't understand what i'm doing wrong, the parameters are ythe same as the tutorial.

Thanks
  • For anyone else with my issue. I have to click once then click and drag again for it to work to select colors. I thought it wasn't working at all.  AE 17.5.1 
  • Hi i'm playing around with the demo, i do a lot of keying and it would be super useful to me, but with composite brush i always get a big green border around the subject, i tried different clips from different sets, it works good overall but i always get this 4-5 pixel border around the person, especially around the hairs; if i try to click in the border it usually messes up the keying, looking at your clip of the girl in the blue shirt it seems so easy i can't understand what i'm doing wrong, the parameters are ythe same as the tutorial.

Thanks
    For the record this issue was resolved, we used the latest Soft 1.6 mode. Thank you Francesco!

Cheers,
    Chris
    Composite Brush Creator
  • For anyone else with my issue. I have to click once then click and drag again for it to work to select colors. I thought it wasn't working at all.  AE 17.5.1 
    I get this issue constantly in the Ae timeline. I have to click a clip once, then move the mouse, then double click to enter a pre-comp. I don't mean to point fingers at Adobe, but I wonder if the window isn't activated until you click it, then it begins accepting further input. Feel free to send in a help ticket and a screen recording though, if anything is acting strange we'd be glad to take a look at it.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Composite Brush Creator
  • I love this plugin so much. It's completely replaced Keylight and Primatte for me. Well done.
  • I love this plugin so much. It's completely replaced Keylight and Primatte for me. Well done.
    Glad to hear! We've been a bit slow on additional updates, but hopefully we'll have some nice surprises for you soon with the next version.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Composite Brush Creator
  • unfortunately it hasn't been able to handle any greenscreens I've tried it with thus far.
    Click the bkg ..great it disappears, then click the subject & background appears and back n forth until
    I quit and go back to Keylight.

Chalk it up to another expensive error on my part.

as to Chris reply.. yes, it was a difficult key.. a plaid shirt with yellowish hues..the other a lot of floor shadows and
    low shutter speed blurs... was hoping this could help over Keylight.. I guess it is learning the technique of using
    this with difficult keys. But since I know keylight better, I went back to it and struggled. Client was in a hurry and I
    was stressed for a quick solution. So this didn't help but I may be able to use it in the future. I am not yet experiencing
    its advantage over Keylight.. but will let you know when I do.
  • Rob Bach said:
    unfortunately it hasn't been able to handle any greenscreens I've tried it with thus far.
    Click the bkg ..great it disappears, then click the subject & background appears and back n forth until
    I quit and go back to Keylight.

Chalk it up to another expensive error on my part.
    There is absolutely no way you've found a shot where Composite Brush can't separate two color values, yet somehow Keylight can, both tools are color based. If the same exact colors exist in the BG and FG, you won't be able to get a key.
  • Plugin works great in scene. So easy to work with.
    I normally do my Keying (Keylight) then export as prores4444 with alpha, then import the .mov file to speed up workflow.

I'm finding that a pretty simple scene (one layer) is taking ages to export through media encoder, even though it plays back fine in scene.
    I've also tried using a pre-comp (with comp brush) in scene then exporting that through media encoder. Taking ages again.

Any advice please?

Windows 10, AE 2021 (18.4.1) (Build 4)
  • Tony Gold said:
    Plugin works great in scene. So easy to work with.
    I normally do my Keying (Keylight) then export as prores4444 with alpha, then import the .mov file to speed up workflow.

I'm finding that a pretty simple scene (one layer) is taking ages to export through media encoder, even though it plays back fine in scene.
    I've also tried using a pre-comp (with comp brush) in scene then exporting that through media encoder. Taking ages again.

Any advice please?

Windows 10, AE 2021 (18.4.1) (Build 4)
    I don't know how or why, but everything always renders slower in Media Encoder. I find this with effects and plugins entirely unrelated to Composite Brush. I'd probably say your best bet is to pre-render Composite Brush layers in After Effects to prores4444 as you had mentioned. Sorry to say the Ae plugins have no access to how Media Encoder works, I don't think we can effect the speed via our plugin. Sorry for the disappointing answer, I've personally stopped using Media Encoder for Ae renders for this reason.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Composite Brush Creator