• During install using Download Manager, there is no 2023 option?
    Is there a different installer for 2023 on Mac?

Stardust has its own installer which the manager will launch when you click install or you can also download it manually from the 'My Downloads & Licenses' (https://aescripts.com/downloadable/customer/products/) section in your user account.

If you need assistance please open a support ticket https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1
  • Orient to Path does not work when using a Motion Node with a Light as the path. Superluminal forums discuss this. But no response. Update?
  • Orient to Path does not work when using a Motion Node with a Light as the path. Superluminal forums discuss this. But no response. Update?

If you need assistance please open a support ticket https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1
  • To the dev team,

Stardust is an amazing tool. I've been wanting to really dive deep into it for a while now, especially seeing how powerful the plugin can get. However, it does not feel great to dive into a plugin that hasn't had any major updates for 2.5 years. Especially if going by the version history, it seems the pace of updates has slowed dramatically since 2020.

A lot of people are asking for MFR. I am as well. Not just because of wanting faster renders, but so that stardust doesn't drag down any other effects in a comp that does support MFR. But more importantly, I think what we want the most is just some communication. The stardust blogs are empty, and so is the Twitter page. There's no roadmap to see anywhere. Stardust is a plugin people can legitimately make a career out of, and having no words from the developer regarding its future must not be a great feeling to newcomers or veterans.

We're all rooting for stardust, especially since trapcode, the closest competitor, still doesn't have so many of stardust's killer features (despite a rapid development pace in comparison). But it's hard to keep faith when there's no communication. We don't need a version update tomorrow, but I think everyone would like to know IF one would be coming, or if the development has reached the end.

Wish you all the best
  • Well said Kevin Zhang!
    Stardust dev team please answer Kevin Zhang's comment from Feb 23rd, the future of Stardust is important to many people.
  • thank you kevin zang for this post.
    i have been wanting to write this for some time.
    guys, you have such a good product and the community could be much bigger. 
    but please, get someone who communicates a little more. i have no idea why you don't do that.... but i think some people take it very personally when they buy a product that may not be used 100 percent for over a year. unfortunately, i'm starting to be one of them.... and i'm very sorry about that, because stardust is a wonderful invention. you are the creators... why do you give us the feeling that you don't care about your creation? 
    talk to us and look for allies! we understand technical problems or other problems... but we are also closest to us in a certain way and would like to know if we can trust you in the future as well...
  • +1 with Joshua, i love your plugin, i would like to make my office buying it ,many licenses, but im not enough confident for the future. they are already quite upset by the withdraw of the redgiant keycorrect suite by maxon. 
    now they need basic  proofs that's not a waste of money and time of learning.

thanks for what you already create. but please , give us a little more love....
  • The 5 of us penning down our thoughts and more than a week has passed. I am disappointed to have not received a response.
  • Does this plugin support After Effects 2023? I downloaded the trial version from your website, but it's not installing for After Effects 2023.
  • Does this plugin support After Effects 2023? I downloaded the trial version from your website, but it's not installing for After Effects 2023.
    Yes it works in 2023. If you need assistance please open a support ticket: https://aescripts.com/contact/?product_id=974&direct=1
  • i want to buy this but it dosent work on 2023 after effects
  • joe ries said:
    i want to buy this but it dosent work on 2023 after effects

Yes it works in 2023. If you need assistance please open a support ticket: https://aescripts.com/contact/?product_id=974&direct=1
  • Very intrigued. I love that Stardust is node-based with presets that help you and don't build it for you. Very flexible and just makes sense. I'm throttled with how cool and far reaching the demonstrations are. 

Does Stardust have a Layer emitter function/attribute where I can load bitmap elements into the particle system emitter?

Thanks for reading.
  • Does Stardust have a Layer emitter function/attribute where I can load bitmap elements into the particle system emitter?

Yes it does, you can download the free trial and try it before purchasing. From the user guide

Layer Emitter

Emit particles from After Effects layers. Some properties could be inherited from the layer such as color, size etc’

• Can't install on After Effects Beta versions; if (like me) you only have the AE Beta installed, you have to install a non-beta version of AE, install Stardust, move the plugin over to the Beta folder, then you can safely uninstall the release version of AE again.

Pls add to wishlist: either add any found AE Beta versions to the list of AE versions presented in the installer, or let us choose a custom plugin folder. Yes, we know the risks of running betas - my laptop happily runs it, and Stardust is blazingly fast on it. Just a pain not being able to actually _install_ Stardust without jumping through hoops
  • Can't install on After Effects Beta versions; if (like me) you only have the AE Beta installed, you have to install a non-beta version of AE, install Stardust, move the plugin over to the Beta folder, then you can safely uninstall the release version of AE again.

Pls add to wishlist: either add any found AE Beta versions to the list of AE versions presented in the installer, or let us choose a custom plugin folder. Yes, we know the risks of running betas - my laptop happily runs it, and Stardust is blazingly fast on it. Just a pain not being able to actually _install_ Stardust without jumping through hoops

If you need assistance please open a support ticket: https://aescripts.com/contact/?product_id=974&direct=1
  • crashes on first click :(

If you need assistance please open a support ticket: https://aescripts.com/contact/?product_id=974&direct=1
  • On a mac M1. I purchased this plugin well over a year ago. Unfortunately Stardust has never worked for me, as it could not be installed on a M1 mac running AE 2022.
    Now at this time I am still unable to use this plugin, in After Effects 2023, as it crashes all the time.
    Any plans on getting it to work any time soon?

• On a mac M1. I purchased this plugin well over a year ago. Unfortunately Stardust has never worked for me, as it could not be installed on a M1 mac running AE 2022.
    Now at this time I am still unable to use this plugin, in After Effects 2023, as it crashes all the time.
    Any plans on getting it to work any time soon?

You need to use the Apple Silicon installer

If you need further assistance please open a support ticket: https://aescripts.com/contact/?product_id=974&direct=1
  • What's the maximum resolution for a layer Stardust will work on, please?
  • What's the maximum resolution for a layer Stardust will work on, please?

• is there any Stardust user with the following HW / OS setup?

RAM: 64GB DDR4 
    CPU: 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K   3.00 GHz
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA RTX 2080 Super
    AE version 2023 (23.3 Build53)

Regards

• See here's the thing... I emailed Superluminal support and got no reply. I asked a simple question here and was asked to open a support ticket. I opened a support ticket and got no reply. So please just let me know what the maximum layer size is for Stardust. Thanks.
    What's the maximum resolution for a layer Stardust will work on, please?

• please update for the 2023 version. Thank you! 
    It works great in 2023! If you have a technical or customer support issue, please open a support ticket instead.
  • This great plugin was the most promising plugin a few years ago. It seems that it has stopped its development. Such a shame.
  • Onyx Lee said:
    This great plugin was the most promising plugin a few years ago. It seems that it has stopped its development. Such a shame.
    It is very much still being developed. If you have a technical or customer support issue, please open a support ticket instead.
    It works great in 2023! If you have a technical or customer support issue, please open a support ticket instead.
    although it works in the 2023 version but it crashes unexpectedly when tweaking the parameters, then when reopening the project there is an error stardust after effect and asking to block stardust. If you still accept it, it crashes again and exits immediately. it works unstable. another thing is When selecting stardust for the first time it will exit the after effects program. please fix! thank you!
    although it works in the 2023 version but it crashes unexpectedly when tweaking the parameters, then when reopening the project there is an error stardust after effect and asking to block stardust. If you still accept it, it crashes again and exits immediately. it works unstable. another thing is When selecting stardust for the first time it will exit the after effects program. please fix! thank you!

please open a support ticket
  • Others have mentioned issues with Stardust not installing on AE 2023. I also am unable to install stardust with AE 2023. I have rolled back to various releases of AE 2023 and still no luck. It just doesnt show up in the Effects panel or in Creative Cloud App under plugins

I rolled AE back to version 2022 and it works again. Not ideal but understandable since AE updates moderately frequently. 
    Im on a PC/Windows 10 by the way. I will open a support ticket as recommended. Thanks!
  • Others have mentioned issues with Stardust not installing on AE 2023. I also am unable to install stardust with AE 2023. I have rolled back to various releases of AE 2023 and still no luck. It just doesnt show up in the Effects panel or in Creative Cloud App under plugins
  • So I have got to a pretty unhappy place with Stardust.
    First up I LOVE it as a piece of software, I was a long time trapcode user and made the switch because Maxon decided to screw the user base.
    Stardust is a wonderful piece of software that is like the love child of Particular and form with a little element 3d thrown in. It's delightful to play with and very fun and exciting to experiment with potential techniques for jobs. That is until it.....doesn't work, I am getting regular, unexpected and inconsistent crashing on all the various After effects versions I use on Either Mac or PC (including 2023). At first I was hopefull that it was just a random thing that wouldnt interrupt general workflow, but I have to say that I'm loosing the light here. It just keeps on crashing! its getting to the point that I can't trust stardust as a piece of software that I would actually use on a job becuase I just can't rely on it not to crash or freeze up requiring constant saving and restarting. I'm now looking for alternatives such as Particle Illusion or doing all my particle work in Blender. Neither is an attractive option because it's a new interface to learn and figure out how to work with plus I don't think either of them has the feature set that Stardust has. So I feel stuck here guys, I LOVE Stardust but I just can't see myself using it unless it stops crashing. Is there any update in the works? can anything be done? I don't think I'm the only one with this issue. I really hope this can be fixed becuase I love stardust and dont want to have to drop it becuase its unreliable.
  • Will we ever get a response from Alvares that isn't just "It works great in 2023! If you have a technical or customer support issue, please a..."

A lot of people very much care about the plugin and some people have even made a career out of it. It's 2023 and it shouldn't be a big ask to know what the status of development is.  
  • I've just downloaded the demo version and absolutely love it as a plugin. However it keeps on crashing (I'm on the silicon version of stardust trial, latest AE 23.5 and a 2021 M1 MBP). I came here in search of a solution that maybe I have set something up incorrectly.

What I am reading now is completely discouraging. About 20 minutes ago I was sure I would be purchasing this, but after reading how long it took to release an M1 version at all, and that even now this non-beta 2023 version appears to be crashing frequently for many other users, much in the same way that I am experiencing, I have significant doubts.  

This seems like an incredibly powerful plug in, but does not currently appear to be in an appropriate state for professional work, something that the $249 price tag would otherwise imply. 

EDIT: I'm adding this to say I've noticed a massive increase in stability in the last month using the trail, enough to persuade me to purchase the full version. One week in and only one crash so far which is a massive improvement.
  • i'd like to ask the developers of stardust to tell me if there are plans for an update that will accommodate the new capabilities of after effects, or if we should rather focus on another program/pugin. 
    is there any other reason why so little is known about the further development of stardust? do you need help with communication, or maybe you don't care?
    i hope there will be some useful information soon that will help me and many others to make a decision!
  • Seriously? 
    No meaningful feature updates for 3 years!!?
    Superlumnial Team - if you're still serious about this product and have any ambition to grow your sales, you have to do better than this.
    I was going to purchase this but 3 years since your last update, aside from installer fixes, just doesn't fill me with confidence.
  • looks like the product is dead.. too bad, it was a good one
  • I wish they'd just come out and say Stardust is dead. Stardust is a very special particle engine but it's not like it's in a league of its own. If they just say the development has ended I think a lot people would just make their peace and move on to blender or trapcode. Alas where they're at right now of not providing updates for years but still pretending to offer any support and putting it on aescripts front page feels like a very dickish thing to do. 
  • I was going to purchase this, but after reading all of the comments and seeing zero replies from Superluminal, I think I'll pass. Such a shame, it looked like a great particle system. They probably made a boatload of money and are now on that boat in the South of France enjoying the good life. Ah, C'est la vie.
  • I mean if they are not going to update the plugin for muli-frame rendering and let it crash AE randomly... aescripts should really look at removing it from the store because its not a good look to sell something that is out of date
  • For those of you still trying to make it work, I'm running Stardust on AE 22 Beta without any crashes (so far). Good luck! 
  • I'll be honest, I check here way more frequently than I should because I still really believe in this plugin, especially after talking to many veterans who still swear by stardust. But the dev team is definitely having it rough if it's been 3 years without a version upgrade now. 

I wish them the best of luck-I'm personally done waiting and going to switch to trapcode. Everything I do requires MFR and maxon's stuff doesn't break AE in really strange ways. Still, Stardust has so much potential for AE and I hope things will progress smoothly. I'm definitely the first one back here if there's a new version notification. 

Sorry about all the complaining and best of luck to superluminal. 
  • Ohhh. I just went to install this on a new workstation. I am have a hell of a time trying to get the license to work. I am in mid production. Is there a trick to the registration box? I enter my serial name and company name and nothing. It would be amazing if this information were in the license information box on aescripts. As It stands I may have to go back to trapcode, ug.
  • Ohhh. I just went to install this on a new workstation. I am have a hell of a time trying to get the license to work. I am in mid production. Is there a trick to the registration box? I enter my serial name and company name and nothing. It would be amazing if this information were in the license information box on aescripts. As It stands I may have to go back to trapcode, ug.

Please check the faq for licensing help: https://aescripts.com/knowledgebase/index/view/faq/stardust-faq/
  • Onyx Lee said:
    This great plugin was the most promising plugin a few years ago. It seems that it has stopped its development. Such a shame.
    It is very much still being developed. If you have a technical or customer support issue, please open a support ticket instead.
    If it is still being developed, why has there been complete radio silence from the developer since Oct. 2022?
    I really would like to believe that it is still being developed, this was one of my favorite plugins, but at this point I am considering abandoning it and trying to move my workflow over to Particular. 

But more so, it feels a bit iffy for aescripts have a product promoted on the homepage that has had zero engagement or communication from the developer for this length of time. Even a simple "hey are are alive, hard at work on new features!" would go a long way, or hell, at this point a short message saying that it is no longer being developed would also help. 
  • Didn't expect to be back here but there's some new info that should put people a bit at ease. 

On Particle Overflow's (probably the best stardust person on the planet) Instagram page for his latest post, when asked about Stardust's status in development, he answered that the Superluminal team has actually been working on Helium X. Here's what he said:

"...Superluminal is a small structure, and the same team was recently invested in the launch of Helium X and Helium X AI... The last Stardust update was last October, and I'm sure they have new features in the pipeline, so I'm not alarmed at this point. But I'm sure they'll be interested in this public perception"

If anyone has looked over at Helium at all, the visuals Helium creates looks suspiciously like stuff that stardust can do.

At the very least this proves that the Superluminal team is at least active. I don't think it excuses the lack of communication, but it's good to know they're still going.  
  • Is there a version of AE that this works on?!? 

It says that it's compatible with 2023, but it doesn't work on 23 or 22. The last update was almost a year ago. How can they still be selling this non-working program?

I feel ripped off.

It says that it's compatible with 2023, but it doesn't work on 23 or 22. The last update was almost a year ago. How can they still be selling this non-working program?

I feel ripped off.

It works fine in AE2023.

I feel ripped off.

It works fine in AE2023.

Is this a joke?  Just spent $300 on this plugin and the first preset I loaded crashed 23 and doesn't even show a preview on 22 before crashing.  Terrible and I'm getting a refund ASAP.  Why hasnt AE Scripts pulled this from the store?
  • Up to this point I have been waiting and have not seen any updates or announcements that this plugin will be improved and upgraded to be compatible with the new Adobe version, can anyone tell me what happened? Who is this developer?
    I was hoping for an update to meet MFR to work better, I also needed new feature updates