Mask Prompter
  • If I want to buy a floating license to use for my team, do I need to buy the server and the license or is it priced per license?
    Hey Byron,

• Hi, I got the following error with the NVIDIA version (I have a Quadro RTX 5000) - After Effects error: This effect cannot be applied because it cannot be initialized. Try reinstalling or contacting the plug-in developer. (25 :: 3).

Any idea on why it won't even initialize? This is happening in After Effects 23.1.0 running on Windows 10.
    Hey Justin,
    this is not expected! Please open a ticket here: https://aescripts.com/contact/?product_id=2133
  • Will the upcoming sam-hq model be supported?
    I would like the user to be able to choose to replace the model.
  • Hello! I have purchased this fabulous plugin, but when it comes to saving the file edited with this plugin, I open it and cannot see how it is edited. The videos turn black and when the error appears, it exits the program.
    Once it is released, we'll certainly try to support it.
  • Hello! I have purchased this fabulous plugin, but when it comes to saving the file edited with this plugin, I open it and cannot see how it is edited. The videos turn black and when the error appears, it exits the program.
    Hey Jesus,
    this is not expected! Please open a ticket here: https://aescripts.com/contact/?product_id=2133
    Once it is released, we'll certainly try to support it.
    Thanks, I bought it.
  • Hello, you say there is a NVIDA GPU version but I only see the Single License or Floating License?
  • Having error pop up on install or trial version.

Send Request Error. 

Is there solution to solve this? Thnx
  • This is amazing! Though the playback rendering is very slow even with the hardware acceleration turned on. Takes about 1min to render 1 frame

Using Mac mini m2 16 GB. GPU acceleration (metal) turned on. (Much slower if turned off)

Looking forward to the update for this!

btw is this a Mac thing? Because I've seen people with Nvidia with faster playback
  • I keep getting a black bar at the top of the screen after the mask is applied... what's going on please.
  • Tony Lam said:
    Hello, you say there is a NVIDA GPU version but I only see the Single License or Floating License?
    Hey,
    please click "Try" and you can choose it.
  • Having error pop up on install or trial version.

Send Request Error. 

Is there solution to solve this? Thnx

Hey Andrew,
  • joe ries said:
    I keep getting a black bar at the top of the screen after the mask is applied... what's going on please.
    Hey Joe,
  • This is amazing! Though the playback rendering is very slow even with the hardware acceleration turned on. Takes about 1min to render 1 frame

Using Mac mini m2 16 GB. GPU acceleration (metal) turned on. (Much slower if turned off)

btw is this a Mac thing? Because I've seen people with Nvidia with faster playback
    Hey,
    I've a machine with roughly the same specs and it's definitely faster here. Are you with MacOS 12.3 or above (only this guarantees good hardware support)?
  • I still can't find the the trial version. No way that I am buying something with so many support tickets without a trial.
  • I still can't find the the trial version. No way that I am buying something with so many support tickets without a trial.
    Sorry. It's just the mobile version of aescript not showing the trial button 

I have AMAZING performance with rendering a frame almost instantly. im running Nvidia gpu version on 13900k and 3070ti. love it. blows roto B 2 out of the water. thanks for making it reasonably priced too!
  • Im finding this really slow, to the point I cant use it. Im using:

2019 MacBook Pro,
    2.3GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9,

64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB

OS 12.51

It looks great in the videos, has anyone any tips on how to get it to work or why I would be having problems?
  • To Andrew Dang and anybody else having trouble installing this and other such plugins- If you get the message saying something like "This will delete all files in the x folder..." do not click the OK button. Go into the plugin folder mentioned in that message, and delete the vc_redist file yourself. Then click OK, and the installation will continue. without giving you the rage-inducing "Hash retrieval failed in xxx..." message. I'd guess it must have something to do with file permissions on certain systems. I've finally got these plugins to install, but now I've missed the intro price for some of them.

• Im finding this really slow, to the point I cant use it. Im using:

2019 MacBook Pro,
    2.3GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9,

64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB

OS 12.51

It looks great in the videos, has anyone any tips on how to get it to work or why I would be having problems?
    Hey Chris,
    please open a ticket here: https://aescripts.com/contact/?product_id=2133 I'll try to help you there figure out why you have such bad performance.
  • Having said that, the plugin now puts a blue cross over the image, but won't do anything else. It ignores my prompts but if I click the add text input button it adds a "bubble pattern" mask layer and turns the image into psychedelic polka dots. I've followed the instructions and tried all combinations of settings with no luck making it respond to any of my own text layers. I really want to buy this but not if I can't make the demo work.
    Hey Mark,
    you are probably talking about Local Diffusion here. You have to change the name of the mask, from "bubble pattern" (default) to your own prompt!
  • Yes, sorry about that. Getting confused in my old age. I've bought them now to see if registering lets me go further. I admit I know much less about AE than I do Photoshop.

• will you be adding any sort of chatter reduction? this would make this plugins use multiply by 10x.
  • Is there any way to expand the mask once created? I tried adding a simple choker with negative values but it changes nothing.
  • I'm also having trouble exporting the final result. Media Encoder fails every time.
  • will you be adding any sort of chatter reduction? this would make this plugins use multiply by 10x.
    Hey Edward,
    you could use AEs inbuilt Soft Matte Refiner with the Reduce Chatter option.
  • Is there any way to expand the mask once created? I tried adding a simple choker with negative values but it changes nothing.
    If you set the output mode to "On transparent", a subsequent choker should do the job.
  • I'm also having trouble exporting the final result. Media Encoder fails every time.
    Please open a ticket for this problem: https://aescripts.com/contact/?product_id=2133
  • Downloaded trial. 4090 24 Vram GPU and 64 gig ram. Could no initialise
  • Is there a way to copy the points positions? When I copy and paste the effect it automatically turns off all the points and I need to reposition every time.
  • Downloaded trial. 4090 24 Vram GPU and 64 gig ram. Could no initialise
    Please open a ticket for this problem: https://aescripts.com/contact/?product_id=2133
  • Is there a way to copy the points positions? When I copy and paste the effect it automatically turns off all the points and I need to reposition every time.
    Hey Emmett,
    I cannot reproduce this, on my machine it copies all the points with keyframes. Please open a ticket: https://aescripts.com/contact/?product_id=2133
  • I'm using the plugin on mp4 clip with dual 3090 on latest drivers and latest AE. It crashes instantly when I try to use the location pin on an item in the video. Any advice?
    Hey Emmett,
    I cannot reproduce this, on my machine it copies all the points with keyframes. Please open a ticket: https://aescripts.com/contact/?product_id=2133
    Since the update the problem seems to be fixed!
  • I'm using the plugin on mp4 clip with dual 3090 on latest drivers and latest AE. It crashes instantly when I try to use the location pin on an item in the video. Any advice?
    Hey Jakob, please follow https://docs.blaceplugins.com/troubleshooting.html#helping-us-solve-problems and open a bug ticket.
    Same issue. It corrupted an entire composition of an important project as it now crashes as soon as the composition loads.
    Uninstalling the GPU vision and using the CPU version solves the issue and recovers the project - but is much slower.
  • Overall

The plugin is quite impressive. It creates good mattes that can be used as they are. Sometimes they need a little work with inbuilt tools but even in dimly lit scenes the plugin gave good results. The usage is super simple and self explanatory. Installation takes a little bit but once it is done you can start quickly. It does a much better job at detecting things than rotobrush or similar solutions and works especially well with people.

Performance

The GPU version runs blazingly fast and is super fun to use. Each frame renders in a few seconds max. and outputting a matte works super quick. I was surprised how well it worked compared to other AI integrations which never seem to work in real world scenarios. This does.

The CPU version however is a slug. A 4K frame renders around 20-30 seconds min on my machine (RTX3080, Ryzen 5900X), even longer when encoding. This is borderline unusable as exporting takes close to an hour, even for short clips. All in all, the CPU version is not a real option when doing serious matte work.

Now to the real issue:

Stability

Sadly, I could only use the GPU version for a few mattes. It somehow broke and even after reinstalling the plugin, the GPU drivers and After Effects it simply wouldnt work anymore and crash AE the instant I used the effect. I filed a bug report with logs, maybe this gets fixed - then I will happily update this review. I followed all provided tips by the author but it simply won't work again.

I am well aware that the author warns off stability issues in the description of the Nvidia GPU version - but imho a stability issue occurs occasionally. This is simply broken. 

Without hardware acceleration, this concept does not work since it is too slow. With hardware acceleration, the plugin is too unstable, at least in my case (and judging by other comments other peoples case too). Until this is somewhat fixed, I unfortunately cannot recommend this plugin 
  • Hello,

Love this plugin!

I was wondering if it would be possible to add a "freeze" feature like in roto brush where it generates the mask and you can turn off the gpu from having to think about it.

Right now I am generating the mask and saving an Alpha to load back in and use. I really only need to have it think about the mask one time through the shot and not the entire time I am doing other things in the comp.

Thanks again for this, it's been a fantastic time saver!

Scott
  • Overall

The plugin is quite impressive. It creates good mattes that can be used as they are. Sometimes they need a little work with inbuilt tools but even in dimly lit scenes the plugin gave good results. The usage is super simple and self explanatory. Installation takes a little bit but once it is done you can start quickly. It does a much better job at detecting things than rotobrush or similar solutions and works especially well with people.

Performance

The GPU version runs blazingly fast and is super fun to use. Each frame renders in a few seconds max. and outputting a matte works super quick. I was surprised how well it worked compared to other AI integrations which never seem to work in real world scenarios. This does.

The CPU version however is a slug. A 4K frame renders around 20-30 seconds min on my machine (RTX3080, Ryzen 5900X), even longer when encoding. This is borderline unusable as exporting takes close to an hour, even for short clips. All in all, the CPU version is not a real option when doing serious matte work.

Now to the real issue:

Stability

Sadly, I could only use the GPU version for a few mattes. It somehow broke and even after reinstalling the plugin, the GPU drivers and After Effects it simply wouldnt work anymore and crash AE the instant I used the effect. I filed a bug report with logs, maybe this gets fixed - then I will happily update this review. I followed all provided tips by the author but it simply won't work again.

I am well aware that the author warns off stability issues in the description of the Nvidia GPU version - but imho a stability issue occurs occasionally. This is simply broken. 

Without hardware acceleration, this concept does not work since it is too slow. With hardware acceleration, the plugin is too unstable, at least in my case (and judging by other comments other peoples case too). Until this is somewhat fixed, I unfortunately cannot recommend this plugin 
    Thank you for the detailed review. We will handle the problem in the bug ticket you opened :)
  • Hello,

Love this plugin!

I was wondering if it would be possible to add a "freeze" feature like in roto brush where it generates the mask and you can turn off the gpu from having to think about it.

Right now I am generating the mask and saving an Alpha to load back in and use. I really only need to have it think about the mask one time through the shot and not the entire time I am doing other things in the comp.

Scott
    We have a pretty sophisticated caching algorithm in place, so it shouldn't recompute anything once the matte was computed. But due to high RAM usage the cache may get invalidated and pre-rendering the matte is the best option.
  •  add high quality mode for finer details? is this SAM-HQ?
  •  add high quality mode for finer details? is this SAM-HQ?
    Yes, we are using a modified backbone containing architectural changes from SAM-HQ.

• Hello,

Love this plugin!

Scott
    We have a pretty sophisticated caching algorithm in place, so it shouldn't recompute anything once the matte was computed. But due to high RAM usage the cache may get invalidated and pre-rendering the matte is the best option.
    Yeah. I'm more worried about running out of GPU ram with other tools in a comp that use the GPU as well. Prerender is what I do now, it'd just be nice if it had a generator for that  Cause I'm lazy  :)
  • How in the hell do you install this application? I only keep getting installation failed signals. 
  • Hello When rendering it appears
    error code 516 after effects
    I open the project again and the same thing appears, any solution?
  • For some reason installation keeps failing when trying to validate the program. Anyone have any ideas how to get past this crap?
  • How in the hell do you install this application? I only keep getting installation failed signals. 

For some reason installation keeps failing when trying to validate the program. Anyone have any ideas how to get past this crap?
    Hey,
  • Hello When rendering it appears
    error code 516 after effects
    I open the project again and the same thing appears, any solution?
    Hey Juan,
  • still it is far from stable...used 2nd time and still diappointed