BG Renderer MAX
  • Does the script work with multi-machine settings - like the previous version? If so which and how many licenses do I need to be able to render on 3 computers at the same time?

One more question, is it possible to run after render windows command line app like in the previous version?
    Hi Tomas,
    If you want to use BG Renderer MAX on three separate machines, you need a license for each one of those. It does support multi-machine settings.
    As of now, there is no option to run windows command line app after the render, though it is on our roadmap and we are adding it pretty soon: https://trello.com/c/25zZNYXf/2-system-command-integration
  • Would it be possible to use something like ffmpeg's image2pipe to render directly to a target format on the fly, vs having to render the image sequence first, and then run the ffmpeg render?
  • I have some QA comments where can I send you in private ?
  • yon fif said:
    I have some QA comments where can I send you in private ?

please open a support ticket https://aescripts.com/contact/?product_id=1398&direct=1
  • Joe Gill said:
    Ugh - I ran into a BIG PROBLEM with BG Render Max. I submitted a trouble ticket with AE scripts but given the severity of the issue I feel obliged to post it here so other users can avoid a similar fate:

I installed v1.02 with the ZXP Installer, tried it on a 4k render and got render errors on the first try, and an alert about permissions issues in a folder that has full read-write access.

When I tried to collect the log files, they were all empty, Zero KB.

I re-started after effects 16.1 and AE complained about "An Error has occurred" ... reference code 205, with "Quit After Effects" being the only option.

Then I un-installed the BG Render Max extension with ZXP Installer, re-started after effects. Still Error 205.

Tried all of these:
    • deleted AE's preferences (~/Library/Preferences/Adobe/After Effects/16.1) and restarted After  Effects
    • un-installed AE
    • re-installed AE, now 16.1.2
    • re-boot machine
    • remove preferences again

And AE is still broken.

Interestingly AE does work on a different user on the same machine.

I'm online with Adobe support, which is its own special place of hell.

Hi Joe,

Just to clarify the situation so the others would not be confused, Error 205 is the inherent Adobe After Effects error that BG Renderer Max can't really trigger: (https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2595742 and https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2535527).

You've also noticed on Twitter that you are using an "Unsupported MacOS configuration" (https://twitter.com/joegill/status/1141521675290152960) which again, we could not have even tested on. We've been running beta tests for over two months on a wide variety of machines, though, there was nothing compared to the one you have at the moment.

We are going to help you solve the issue as best as we can, but please, follow the advice on the Adobe forums first.

Nik
  • Any plans to do GPU support? I'd love to be able to use Element with this. 
  • Any plans to do GPU support? I'd love to be able to use Element with this. 
    Hi Adam,

We are now testing a GPU-based approach to plugins like Element. Engine updates are going to be released within a month or so.
  • can I install on all computers in the workplace when I buy floating server license ? Or I have to buy them for each machine separately?
  • can I install on all computers in the workplace when I buy floating server license ? Or I have to buy them for each machine separately?
    Yes but you can only use one license of BGR MAX at a time so make sure you get enough licenses to support your number of users.
  • Kinda frustrating to not be able to multi-process render with audio... doesn't really save me time in my workflow if I have to go recompile it again in AME or Premiere anyway.
  • Kinda frustrating to not be able to multi-process render with audio... doesn't really save me time in my workflow if I have to go recompile it again in AME or Premiere anyway.
    Hi Justin,

We are working on this feature at the moment. Can't provide you estimates, but it's coming in the next releases. The whole task is really non-trivial.

Nik.
  • I'm rendering some sequences of 8k (7680x7680) frames for 360 vr using BGrendererMax. It pretty much always fails unless I set the project settings to Mercury Software Only. I think because the GPU keeps getting overloaded by the multiple AE instances if it's left on. Wondering if anyone else is getting this. It may be fine if left on for most 1080p or 4k renders. Anyway it would be great if BG could set this by default or have it be a checkbox in the settings. I'm using multiple computers and I've put post it notes on all the monitors to remind me in the meantime ;)

Otherwise it's working great and this plugin is saving me right now! Thanks!
  • I'm rendering some sequences of 8k (7680x7680) frames for 360 vr using BGrendererMax. It pretty much always fails unless I set the project settings to Mercury Software Only. I think because the GPU keeps getting overloaded by the multiple AE instances if it's left on. Wondering if anyone else is getting this. It may be fine if left on for most 1080p or 4k renders. Anyway it would be great if BG could set this by default or have it be a checkbox in the settings. I'm using multiple computers and I've put post it notes on all the monitors to remind me in the meantime ;)

Otherwise it's working great and this plugin is saving me right now! Thanks!
    Hi Julie,

please open a support ticket https://aescripts.com/contact/?product_id=1398&direct=1 to figure out the solution to your issue?

Nik
  • Yo, where is the support for Alpha channels? The only reason i wanted this was to get an alpha png sequence.

Edit: nevermind my question, it appears that using it as "as in render settings" will do. This script is a real life saver.
  • Hello,

So, this will not work at all with AE 2017? :(

Has any one here tested that?
  • How Render only mp4?
  • Mike Moss said:
    Hello,

Hi Mike,

BGR MAX doesn't support CC2017 due to CEP engine incompatibility.
  • How Render only mp4?
    We are shipping this feature soon. Now you'd have to manually remove sequence files.

• Nik Ska said:
    Mike Moss said:
    Hello,

Hi Mike,

Hello Nik, we're a decent sized post facility here in Los Angeles, we have an artist who is familiar with your plugin.
    He is insisting that this software at one point was compatible with AE 2017, Was it? even in version 1 or beta? If it was, are we able to purchase this version? Our setup is with AE 2017 currently, switching to 2018 / 2019 would require a lot of work that's not that easily justifiable at this time for 1 plugin.
    Hoping you can provide some insight and or let me know if there is a deprecated version that still works with AE 2017?

Thank you.
  • Mike Moss said:

Nik Ska said:
    Mike Moss said:
    Hello,

Hi Mike,

Hello Nik, we're a decent sized post facility here in Los Angeles, we have an artist who is familiar with your plugin.
    He is insisting that this software at one point was compatible with AE 2017, Was it? even in version 1 or beta? If it was, are we able to purchase this version? Our setup is with AE 2017 currently, switching to 2018 / 2019 would require a lot of work that's not that easily justifiable at this time for 1 plugin.
    Hoping you can provide some insight and or let me know if there is a deprecated version that still works with AE 2017?

Thank you.
    Hi Mike,

Since Adobe doesn't allow CC users to download CC2017 and earlier, we can't really test new build on it. We're going to make a test version with version check removed and send it on request in a Support Ticket.

Nik
  • Hi! I'm really interested in your product, but doing some tests I got the following results (while exporting the same comp and clearing RAM and disk cache between renders; I used 4 threads out of 8 in BG Renderer Max settings):

- AE renderer, export to PNG sequence, Trillions of Colors, RGB, no Alpha: time 3 min 33 sec
    - BG renderer MAX, export to PNG sequence (without compiling movie in the end), Trillions of Colors, RGB, no Alpha: time 2 min 46 sec
    - AE renderer, export to QuickTime ProRes 4444 XQ, Trillions of Colors, RGB, no Alpha: time 1 min 25 sec

While there's clearly a big improvement using your script when exporting to the same format, is it possible to use your script to render with multiprocessing to something else than a sequence? (well, now it's not possible, but maybe in the future?)

Cheers!
    Daniel
  • Hi! I'm really interested in your product, but doing some tests I got the following results (while exporting the same comp and clearing RAM and disk cache between renders; I used 4 threads out of 8 in BG Renderer Max settings):

- AE renderer, export to PNG sequence, Trillions of Colors, RGB, no Alpha: time 3 min 33 sec
    - BG renderer MAX, export to PNG sequence (without compiling movie in the end), Trillions of Colors, RGB, no Alpha: time 2 min 46 sec
    - AE renderer, export to QuickTime ProRes 4444 XQ, Trillions of Colors, RGB, no Alpha: time 1 min 25 sec

While there's clearly a big improvement using your script when exporting to the same format, is it possible to use your script to render with multiprocessing to something else than a sequence? (well, now it's not possible, but maybe in the future?)

Cheers!
    Daniel
    Are you sure you are not caching the render?  Rendering to QT should not be any faster, unless of course, it is just rendering from cache.
  • Hi, 

I'm impressed by the speed that BGR offers, but I'm wondering that if I buy the single user license would I be able to install it at home and at my office? I wouldn't be using them at the same time at all.

• Seb James said:
    Hi, 

I'm impressed by the speed that BGR offers, but I'm wondering that if I buy the single user license would I be able to install it at home and at my office? I wouldn't be using them at the same time at all.

The "Single User License" allows for the software to be installed on up to two computers as long as they are not being used at the same time. If you need to install it on more than two computers or use them at the same time you will need additional licenses. 

The "Floating Server License" can be installed on as many computers as you'd like but it must be used in conjunction with our Floating License Server (https://aescripts.com/floating-license-server/) and can also only be used by one user at a time so you will need enough licenses to match your users.
  • Was wondering, i have 64GB of RAM, and i'm rendering in 14 Threads out of 16, why do i always get the RAM warning? I know im running out of it but the extension should be able to manage the needs for each instance.

Offtopic, if you could bring this multithreaded feature into the live viewport, would be legendary.
  • Wow. Long time (religious) user of BG Render Pro and wish I'd known about this sooner. I've tried some of the other AE render tools out there but always came back to BG Render Pro because of its reliability and speed. Really happy to see a new version of this tool and very happy with the results so far. VERY impressive. Seeing that Lloyd is involved was a seal-the-deal for me. 

Mac Pro 6-Core, 96GB of RAM

Comparison BG Render Pro (classic, if you will) vs BG Render MAX:
    In all cases running some beefy PNG comps at 5760x1200
    Running two instances of BG classic, it took 21 minutes to get 57 frames
    Running multiprocessing across 4 cores using BG Renderer Max, it took 10 minutes to get those same 57 frames - the comp changed a bit (adjusted one of the texture layers) so I know that it isn't running the same 22 frames again. 
    Running the same render process (@ 4 Cores) but using TIFF instead results in hangups, non-responsive panels. TIFF renders are a lot slower as well (which seems counterintuitive). Force restart and back to PNG rendering solves that issue. I suspect this is because of the TIFF file size versus PNG(?)

Activity Monitor and Efficiency:
    At first I thought that because it no longer runs in terminal (outside of AE) that the render speed would take a hit, but AE still runs as per usual (much better than I'd expect actually). And my system is running well too (if cores selected is less than the physical core count). I can also see in activity monitor that the RAM and CPUs aren't as heavily tasked. None of the CPUs or RAM are in the red-zone either. 

Cool:
    Halting mid-render (at least on this beefy one), takes a minute and the panel is non-responsive in AE- but this is good because it finishes the frames it's on so you don't end up with bad frames. You can watch this nicely happen in activity monitor and then poof you're good. Just like the old tool, it will continue frames if you restart a frame-render (stopping and starting again effectively works as pausing). Also cool: open AEP project 01, send to render - open AEP project 02, panel persists from previous project and continues to render. 

A point of clarification on selecting cores:
    Running multiprocessing across 6 cores using BG Renderer Mac, it took 2 minutes to get 34 frames.CPU instances' warning seems to coincide with threads, not physical cores (I.e., my computer has 6-cores but the warning pops up when I select 12). I have found that if I run 6 instances my system performance takes a hit (though it renders much faster so that's fine). Worth the trade-off IMHO. The %CPU per instance of AErendercore can float up to 350% (I think as frames finish), but on average everything hangs out in the 100% zone. It seems like <6 cores max is around 240%. Further, I did get a crash running 6-Cores when I swapped some displays around - so that answers the question on fragility of physical cores vs threaded. I imagine selecting more than 6 will hang up the system. 

Still need to try:
    Multi-machine renders and higher core count computers. Will try that out in the production office with 3 computers (12-Core, 18-Core, 6-Core). Very excited to see what the performance is like. 

Re: Alexandru's comment - using this in the live viewport would change the AE game for sure. Would love to see that. 
  • Seb James said:
    Hi, 

The "Single User License" allows for the software to be installed on up to two computers as long as they are not being used at the same time. If you need to install it on more than two computers or use them at the same time you will need additional licenses. 

The "Floating Server License" can be installed on as many computers as you'd like but it must be used in conjunction with our Floating License Server (https://aescripts.com/floating-license-server/) and can also only be used by one user at a time so you will need enough licenses to match your users.
    Thanks, that's good to know. Purchase made! 

I presume that I'd need to deactivate it when I eventually move on to work on different computers, or would it automatically deactivate it when I install it on another PC?
  • Seb James said:

I presume that I'd need to deactivate it when I eventually move on to work on different computers, or would it automatically deactivate it when I install it on another PC?
    Yes, you can use our manager app for that: https://aescripts.com/learn/aescripts-aeplugins-manager-app/ ;

• Get these same errors every time I try to use.

" Error: file already exists. symlink' Users/mattcook/desktop/clients…file name
    'Users/mattcook/library/applicationsupport/BgRendererMax/bgrenderer.aep'
    If you need…

Then…

There was an error with Aerender and we can not create communication channel. Please try to restart machine. If it will not help please open support ticket. If you need to open…attach log file
  • Quick follow up Comment / Question. Great that you can set it up to auto convert to a series of FFmpeg presets. Would be great to use your own presets from the AE output module. Further, is there a way to see progress of FFMpeg post-render action?
  • Get these same errors every time I try to use.

" Error: file already exists. symlink' Users/mattcook/desktop/clients…file name
    'Users/mattcook/library/applicationsupport/BgRendererMax/bgrenderer.aep'
    If you need…

Then…

There was an error with Aerender and we can not create communication channel. Please try to restart machine. If it will not help please open support ticket. If you need to open…attach log file
    Hi Matthew, this it new kind of issue we started to see and is only related to OSX, it will be fixed in the new version. For now could you please try to remove all the content of Users/mattcook/library/applicationsupport/BgRendererMax folder and try again

Thank you,
    Mike
  • Cam Vokey said:
    Quick follow up Comment / Question. Great that you can set it up to auto convert to a series of FFmpeg presets. Would be great to use your own presets from the AE output module. Further, is there a way to see progress of FFMpeg post-render action?
    Hi Cam,
    Thank you for a feedback!
    Progress of FFMpeg postrender action is something I just haven't finished yet. I promise it will be available in one of the next releases.
    Regarding own presets, work in this area is not yet started, but this is a great idea, I completely agree with that.

Thank you,
    Mike
  • I dont see the option to have custom video output option in Sequence to video action.
    check my image.
  • I dont see the option to have custom video output option in Sequence to video action.
    check my image.
    Hi Gerald,
    It should be available at Post Render Tab, when you select Sequence To Video Post Render Action.

Please open a support ticket if it's not there for you.

Thank you,
    Mike
  • I keep on getting errors whereby the BG Renderer skips frames or stalls.  I had it when it was set to use all available cores (32), but even now when I'm trying to render using only 10 its skipping frames and stalling. Would there be any chance of a fix for this?
  • Wrote this off previously as being non-adobe plugins not having support, but having issues with native AE 3D layers (as well as non-native). No problem when rendering half Rez but gives me that "There was an error with Aerender and we can not create communication channel. Please try to restart the machine." When rendering full rez. Restarting the machine doesn't solve the problem. Worth noting that the original BG Render Pro doesn't have the same issues - and this file renders just fine (same with other 3D plugins). Log file is empty so nothing to help you with there. 

Have tried on PC and MAC, same issue. 

• Cam Vokey said:
    Wrote this off previously as being non-adobe plugins not having support, but having issues with native AE 3D layers (as well as non-native). No problem when rendering half Rez but gives me that "There was an error with Aerender and we can not create communication channel. Please try to restart the machine." When rendering full rez. Restarting the machine doesn't solve the problem. Worth noting that the original BG Render Pro doesn't have the same issues - and this file renders just fine (same with other 3D plugins). Log file is empty so nothing to help you with there. 

Have tried on PC and MAC, same issue. 
      Hi Cam,
    Thank you for a feedback.

"There was an error with Aerender and we can not create communication channel. Please try to restart the machine." - Has nothing to do with half res or full res, it's definitely something else and usually it's an indicator that the previous process is having issues, which I assume is exactly the case for you, based on the next case about difference between Pro and Max.

Pro and Max are using the same engine behind the scenes, this is just shouldn't happen at all and we had no such feedback before. I am very interested to hear more from you.
    Could you please open a support ticked so we can proceed with your case?

Thank you,
    Mike
  •   Hi Cam,
    Thank you for a feedback.

"There was an error with Aerender and we can not create communication channel. Please try to restart the machine." - Has nothing to do with half res or full res, it's definitely something else and usually it's an indicator that the previous process is having issues, which I assume is exactly the case for you, based on the next case about difference between Pro and Max.

Pro and Max are using the same engine behind the scenes, this is just shouldn't happen at all and we had no such feedback before. I am very interested to hear more from you.
    Could you please open a support ticked so we can proceed with your case?

Thank you,
    Mike
    Opened a ticket last night :) Ticket #1048447

The issue is a little different but the same route-cause I suspect. 
  • Would it be possible to add the option to play a sound when the rendering is finished(much like it was possible in the old bg renderer as well as in AFx direct).as well as the option to encode h265 after the rendering is finished for those export where 4k is needed.

Thanks

• Hey, sometimes the extension is rendering the sequence in 1-2 hours sometimes it is doing it in 16 minutes, exactly the same comp without anything changed. Youn might wanna look into that.
  • I went the AMD route for my PC build. Will this work for AMD?

• Ken Green said:
    I went the AMD route for my PC build. Will this work for AMD?
    Hi Ken,
    I can't see any reason why it will not work. Please let me know if you will have any issues via opening a ticket.
    Also if you use AMD ThreadReaper dont use all the available threads, we had some reports from users who used 32 threads and apparently that's not optimal. I would recommend try with small amount and adjust it per your machine after a while.

Thank you,
    Mike
  • Hey, sometimes the extension is rendering the sequence in 1-2 hours sometimes it is doing it in 16 minutes, exactly the same comp without anything changed. Youn might wanna look into that.
    Hi Alexandru,
    This is almost always related to the checkbox with Keep Sequence Versions, the logic behind it is that we skip existing files, so if you render to the new location with empty folder, it might take a while, but if you already have some of the files in this folder rendered, it will be much faster :)
    But if it's not working for you, could you please open a support ticked so I can follow up with you regarding this issue. I haven't heard before of it, so I really appreciate your feedback!

Thank you,
    Mike
  • Would it be possible to add the option to play a sound when the rendering is finished(much like it was possible in the old bg renderer as well as in AFx direct).as well as the option to encode h265 after the rendering is finished for those export where 4k is needed.

Thanks

Hi Pascal,
    Sound option will be available in the next version (1.0.6 or 1.0.7) and regarding h265 we are working on full integration with product called AfterCodecs, so there will be much more options soon, I hope with 1.1.0 (hopefully in September)
    Thank you for a feedback!
    Mike
  • I'm getting an error when I try to render saying "Can't import templates, please check your write permissions", but I'm not sure which permissions I'm supposed to check for which folders?
  • Hi 

I am unable to render out the contents in the multiple Precomps nestled in the MainComp.
    Also, the renders show completed on the BG Renderer plug-in when only the beginning frames are completed.
    Rest of renders do not show contents of the PreComps.

Thanks for your time, really need urgent help in this.
  • Is there a way to utilize BG Renderer across multiple machines across a network. I didn't know if there was a special setup to achieve this? I was able to get it to work by beginning a render on a second machine using the AE Render Engine and then initializing a render on my primary computer using BG Renderer. Didn't know if there was another method I could try out or if there was an update coming that allowed for multiple computers to initialize renders with BG Renderer?
  • Hi,

I am unable to use this plugin at all.  It was working for a while but it no longer works at all.  Have tried original version and the most recent version with no luck whatsoever.  Below is a screenshot of the error message.  Generate log file doesn't seem to be working either.  Am running AE 2019 on Mac OS 10.13.

• Is there a way to utilize BG Renderer across multiple machines across a network. I didn't know if there was a special setup to achieve this? I was able to get it to work by beginning a render on a second machine using the AE Render Engine and then initializing a render on my primary computer using BG Renderer. Didn't know if there was another method I could try out or if there was an update coming that allowed for multiple computers to initialize renders with BG Renderer?
    Hi Patrick,
    You could point multiple machines on the network to the same render location with Custom Folder set in Render Settings.

• Hi,

I am unable to use this plugin at all.  It was working for a while but it no longer works at all.  Have tried original version and the most recent version with no luck whatsoever.  Below is a screenshot of the error message.  Generate log file doesn't seem to be working either.  Am running AE 2019 on Mac OS 10.13.

Hi Brian,
    Please go to the folder containing bgrenderer.aep file and remove it (/Volumes/Backup-SSD/Users/graphics-2/Library/Application Support/BgRendererMax). That should help and the issue shouldn't pop up. Also make sure you're using BGR 1.0.5
    If the issue persists, please open a support ticket.